Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

USER POLL; Garner - Kept or Released?

124»

Comments

• edited December 2022
    Kept
    I voted for ‘Kept’. In a weird way, he’s probably better off out of SE7.

Yes we weren’t doing well, especially through November but can only see the season heading in one direction now he has gone. If he’d be allowed to carry on, with players returning from injury, I think we’d have been a top half side.

Genuinely believe he’ll go on to do very well somewhere else for someone else. Unfortunately Sandgaard doesn’t have the money or the patience to make his vision a reality. And we will continue in this downward spiral until we’re under new ownership.
  • Kept
    I would have kept him. Nuts decision. Thought we looked a lot better than under Jackson.
  • Kept
    3 managers all appointed by Sandgaard. None of them lasted anymore than 7 months in charge. Out of the 3, only one was correct in my opinion. 

20 games was not enough. Granted he was talking himself out of a job, but maybe he thought what the heck I’ve got nothing to lose here. Maybe people were not straight with him and moved the goalposts as time went by.

He took a chance by leaving Swindon and it didn’t pay off

• edited December 2022
    Kept
    lonman said:
    I would have kept him. Nuts decision. Thought we looked a lot better than under Jackson.
    We had identity, a style and intent. 

What we didn't have was the players to back it up. Neither Powell or Bowyer in our promotion seasons gave us this style but they also had strong first teams and at least upper L1 players ready to support as needed. 

We didn't play attractive football, we played gritty hard working football. I feel Jackson had us playing in a similar way and probably deserved this season in control. 

Our tactic in our last couple of promotion seasons was generally ping it to Yann/BWP or ping it to Lyle/KAG. We had great forward options.

We were solid enough at the back and often bypassed midfield, however we did have a solid CM pairing to step up as needed each time...
    Powell had a then in form Danny Hollands alongside Dale Stephens, Bow had both Bielik and Cullen!

In defence we had Morrison and Taylor, or Bauer and Sarr/Pearce.

Both teams had a solid pairing across positions. 

Now we have
    Stockley and No one able to start.
    Dobson and Fraser
    No first choice CB's

it's no surprise this season we looked best when we had:

Stockley & Leaburn
    Dobson & Fraser
    Inniss & O'Connell

There is no strength in depth in this squad for the third or fourth season running. 

Leaburn is a great prospect and a partnership was developing. 

Dobson is a budget Bielik, Fraser a cheaply manufactured knock off of Stephens

Neither CB are that good or bad, but their partnership was developing. 

There is no way to tell whether Garner would have been a success with financial backing, however given how he transformed most of our players into being able to play the style the owner wanted, I'd gamble he would. He can learn how to grind out wins, but that's always harder with predominantly lower L1 and L2 players. 
  • Kept
    I don't think we were in danger of going down under Garner. Especially when he got the players back that he needed. Now we really are. Simple as that. 
  • Kept
    Dazzler21 said:
    lonman said:
    We had identity, a style and intent. 

What we didn't have was the players to back it up. Neither Powell or Bowyer in our promotion seasons gave us this style but they also had strong first teams and at least upper L1 players ready to support as needed. 

We didn't play attractive football, we played gritty hard working football. I feel Jackson had us playing in a similar way and probably deserved this season in control. 

Our tactic in our last couple of promotion seasons was generally ping it to Yann/BWP or ping it to Lyle/KAG. We had great forward options.

We were solid enough at the back and often bypassed midfield, however we did have a solid CM pairing to step up as needed each time...
    Powell had a then in form Danny Hollands alongside Dale Stephens, Bow had both Bielik and Cullen!

In defence we had Morrison and Taylor, or Bauer and Sarr/Pearce.

Both teams had a solid pairing across positions. 

Now we have
    Stockley and No one able to start.
    Dobson and Fraser
    No first choice CB's

it's no surprise this season we looked best when we had:

Stockley & Leaburn
    Dobson & Fraser
    Inniss & O'Connell

There is no strength in depth in this squad for the third or fourth season running. 

Leaburn is a great prospect and a partnership was developing. 

Dobson is a budget Bielik, Fraser a cheaply manufactured knock off of Stephens

Neither CB are that good or bad, but their partnership was developing. 

There is no way to tell whether Garner would have been a success with financial backing, however given how he transformed most of our players into being able to play the style the owner wanted, I'd gamble he would. He can learn how to grind out wins, but that's always harder with predominantly lower L1 and L2 players. 
    Also worth noting how many of Bowyer's promotion winning team went on to and still are playing at Championship level - whilst Garner's squad is mainly league 1 at best and some probably league 2 (some of the younger players have potential but are being played before they are ready and often out of position)

Also those saying we can't play a passing game at this level look at Franchise FC and Oxford in recent years - it doesn't need a fortune to spent (apart from the elusive 20 goal striker needed for promotion) but it does need the right players and BG didn't get the players he needed for the pressing passing game that TS wanted (nor did Atkins either).

Until TS goes every manager is destined to fail.
  • Kept
    It is a hard one. I said kept as I have no trust in their next selection either.  Whilst I don't think Garner is the best we could have got we are a mess top to bottom.
  • Kept
    100% I would have kept Garner.
    he was filled full of promises and bullshit from our Egotistical failed musician of an owner.
    no decent up and coming or experienced manger will go near us, with a wanker like TS and his idiot son in charge.👎👎👎
  • edited December 2022
    Released
    for Garner to be any sort of success, he would need money to throw at the team, if we had money to throw at the team, i wouldnt have given it to him to spend.

not his fault but a no from me