Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

USER POLL; Garner - Kept or Released?

Comments

• Kept
    I votes keep, mainly because I am actually quite gutted he is gone.  That's not strictly true I am gutted it didn't workout.

2 or 3 more players could have seen us with a chance of the play offs.  That idea was dead on arrival.

For what it's worth I full expect Hayes (not Ben) to get the job until the end of the season, ala Parkinson.

• Kept
    Kept. Far too soon to be released. Not surprised though and what will really change under TS?
  • Kept
    Wasn't convinced by Garner but wrong time to sack him.
  • Kept
    Can't judge anyone who has been under the Sandgaard shackles
  • Released
    Released from me. 

Despite the personnel not being up for it, he wouldn't refrain from the tippy tappy, sideways, backwards, hopeful punt from the keeper as nobody made space football. Turgid stuff and without a whole new squad this type of formation was never going to work. 

So it's goodbye Stewie from me. 
  • Released
    He was Rubbish with a capital R
  • Kept
    The principle when considering a strategy or a goal is one needs to resource it . There appears to me almost nothing more bizarre as outlining a vision of purpose and clarity and then failing singularly to resource it 

On the face of it it’s not difficult to conclude that the author of this approach is either mad , bad , or more likely incompetent 
  • Kept
    Is it fair to blame Garner for Stockley’s poor season? I don’t think so. Obviously if we put him in a great side he’d score more goals, but faced with the reality of quite a mediocre side he’s done very little to show he is capable of galvanising the team or making things happen on the pitch. 
    I don’t think Garner was great, and you need to get more wins than he did, but given the state of the club I doubt sacking him will solve anything. 
  • Kept
    Only worth sacking a manager if you know the next one will make things better. 
  • Wouldnt have given him the job in first place but dont see any benefit in sacking him now tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Released
    Agree with others he wasn’t supported well at all, but I think he should have been doing better with the players we have, not by much I’ll be honest, they are an average bunch, but we definitely started a slide that needs to stop. Whether the rock star knows what to do next is another question.
  • Released
    I liked his early-mid post match interviews, well spoken, articulate,   however the last 2-3 were giving the impression he wanted the outcome he got.,
    That makes this vote irrelevant- I think he signalled he wanted to go.
    He  wasn't fully backed by the owner, but neither was Nigel Adkins. Both ended up with a hotch potch of players. Garner had more games than Adkins and did barely any better.
    Garners style of football (required by TS) resulted in mainly boring slow football with few goal attempts.Garner was fortunate with some freak results (beating Derby at home when we were completely outplayed 1st half, sending off against PA), so on performances and results not achieving.
    Was there a vote afterJJ going? if yes I missed it. JJ got results and made us safe,  and didn't get the chance to build a team.
    The football was dull , dull dull, but better (only marginally) than Garner.
    We'll only know if this decision is correct when we get to assess the new manager.
    Anyway Garner wanted out and he got it.
  • edited December 2022
    Kept
    I liked his early-mid post match interviews, well spoken, articulate,   however the last 2-3 were giving the impression he wanted the outcome he got.,
    That makes this vote irrelevant- I think he signalled he wanted to go.
    He  wasn't fully backed by the owner, but neither was Nigel Adkins. Both ended up with a hotch potch of players. Garner had more games than Adkins and did barely any better.
    Garners style of football (required by TS) resulted in mainly boring slow football with few goal attempts.Garner was fortunate with some freak results (beating Derby at home when we were completely outplayed 1st half, sending off against PA), so on performances and results not achieving.
    Was there a vote afterJJ going? if yes I missed it. JJ got results and made us safe,  and didn't get the chance to build a team.
    The football was dull , dull dull, but better (only marginally) than Garner.
    We'll only know if this decision is correct when we get to assess the new manager.
    Anyway Garner wanted out and he got it.
    I agree, it sounded like he did. But that to me would mean that another club has had a word. I doubt many managers would want to quit in the current climate, without there being another job in the pipeline. 
  • Released
    Whilst I voted released, we do need a plan to replace with a credible alternative. TS comments that a new manager will take weeks, not days, to find are very worrying indeed given his choice of caretaker is AH who I have no faith in as a manager at all.
  • edited December 2022
    Kept
    Kept

Never given the tools to do the job - I do believe that he is a good manager

I imagine he is now bitterly regretting leaving Swindon
  • I didn’t really see him as the resolution, but equally he wasn’t really part of the problem. He did best he could with poor inadequate squad. 
  • Kept
    Kept

6 months is not a long enough time to change fundamentally how a team plays especially with just one transfer window where you weren't able to spend much
  • Kept
    I was gutted he went as I thought with the right backing he would deliver. He didnt stand a chance with the attitude of the ownership and nor will anyone else. Whether he would have delivered we will never know now but I'm very confident that unless something major changes at the club the next person in will do no better.

I read today that TS has said that no manager will be recruited for a number of weeks. I'm guessing he is having to look pretty hard to find someone mental enough to take the role on and having to deal him his shite
  • Kept
    Never had the appropriate resource to do the job. What's the point in sacking him if the replacement will only work under the same conditions. We could have Pep in next and we'd still be in the same position.
  • Kept
    As I mentioned on another thread, it was inevitable that he was going to get the boot before santa arrives. This way Eric Clapton doesn't have to face that awkward conversation when Garner asked for the budget he was promised. A tactic that he employed with jackson in the summer. Although Ben wasn't happy with the lack of spending in the summer, he was the new boy and probably didn't want to be seen as a trouble maker from day one. However, recently he's been informed/worked it out that the "magic budget" won't be forthcoming, hence his recent digs. Towards the end, I'm sure he was manipulating a push and wanted out. Part of me would like to have seen what he could do with a decent squad, but I think it's probably good for all parties that he's gone
  • Sponsored links:

• Kept
    Kept all day long
  • edited December 2022
    Kept
    Give the bloke a chance FFS. 6 months is no time at all, especially with hands tied behind back.
  • Kept
    Given zero budget and six months. Who are we going to get, I have zero faith in the current caretaker and even less in the owner. We need someone with experience and knowledge of the league and players. Someone like Phil Parkinson, not that we could afford his wages....
  • Kept
    Definately kept. Lack of resources and budget. Not given a chance. I will copy this response in readiness for the next manager dismissal.
  • edited December 2022
    Kept
    Kept, for all the reasons that others voted kept.

• Kept
    Kept - lack of resources, lack of time, bad luck with injuries and more importantly it seems TS doesn't have anyone lined up to replace him and I don't think Hayes and Pearce are ready to take on the job. We seem to be the only club who don't have someone lined up to bring in when we sack the manager!
  • He managed to get a team beat Championship level squad Derby, thrash top of the table Plymouth 5-1 and get a 4-4 with top of the table Ipswich scoring twice in added time. And he had us competing in all cup competitions (unheard of for Charlton)  clearly ~ he could get results from the best teams. His main problem ~ which is the true measure of a successful manager ~ is he couldn't get his team to nick wins ugly against the cack in the league. But this is a problem shared with his predecessors and perhaps points to a deeper problem with the Charlton identity and way of playing and culture within the club. Perhaps if the club focussed more on building identity than all the woke stuff "hate speech" thought police adverts all around the ground we may rediscover atmosphere, and passion which is essential for players to perform at their very best and a club to flourish. 

• Released
    Some of the most impotent, turgid football I have ever seen - nice guy, passionate it seems but that style of football was awful & without significant investment, it's doomed to failure - would rather see a John Beck style approach with blood & thunder, aggressive in your face direct football than the bloodless dreariness Garner was dishing up...
  • Released
    Surprised how many wanted Garner to stay. 

No doubt TS is the problem.
    lack of signings, , injuries and it takes time to build a team. I get it, 

But He shouldn’t have got the job in the first place. Nice guy but we are heading towards a relegation battle, no plan B. Embarrassing all this so called possession/pressing based football in league 1. 
    Quite clear it’s not possible with this squad so need to make the best of what we have. Make ourselves hard to beat. Grind sone results out. 

Obviously the scary bit is what TS has planned next but it was clear the relationship with Garner was broken and we are slipping down every week. 4 points from relegation zone. That’s not good enough even with this squad. 

We are desperate for some points and maybe a fresh face might help us avoid a battle at the bottom, 
    Time will tell . 

• Kept
    Was sold the dream then when he arrived he found he was shopping at pound land. You have to have stability, you can’t just keep sacking managers it’s laughable