Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Gallen

Comments

• Options
    Impossible for most of us to have an accurate view given we don't know what goes on in the club. Having said that, in my view most likely he is a good man working hard in difficult circumstances 
  • Options
    We seem to judge people at our club too much on personality rather than results. The great bloke line used to get rolled out in defence of Phil Parkinson week in week out.  (Contrary to what pretty much every player on the Undr the Cosh podcast has to say about him).

Same has happened with the current owner.

Perhaps that's in part why we're where we are.  Suckers for a smile and a cosy chat instead of objectively viewing delivery of actions.

I think if Gallen was less affable his success/ value in his role would come under greater scrutiny.  Albeit with the obvious caveat that he works within a seeming continuum of  utter basket case, clown shod frameworks.

• Options
    If Gallen was less affable TS would have got rid of him by now.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    What of Gallen in this new era then?
    Not mentioned in the initial comms

• Options
    What of Gallen in this new era then?
    Not mentioned in the initial comms

I would assume he will be kept on until the end of the window, as he would have done a fair bit of the work we’ve done on it. After that then who knows? I think it’s most likely that he leaves 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Saw him at New Eltham Station Thursday night. He got the 5.10 to London Bridge. Got the jubilee line with him as far as Bond Street...
  • Options
    Saw him at New Eltham Station Thursday night. He got the 5.10 to London Bridge. Got the jubilee line with him as far as Bond Street...
    Is that taking it a bit far Cants?
    I just happened to be getting the same train as him. It was the last train that day as there were strikes. I needed the jubilee line and he got on the same carriage as me. 
  • Options
    Who got off , you or him ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who got off , you or him ?
    Me
  • Options
    I should be clear. I spotted him on the platform at New Eltham and thought nothing of it. Was in a completely different part of the train to be near the exits at London Bridge. It was only when he got on the tube carriage that I thought it was a werid coincidence 
  • Options
    The steps these scouts take to recruit new talent!.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    His best work was when Tommy Driesen was still at the club, genuinely 
    I remember that first window sans Tommy and him tweeting about (i'm paraphrasing from memory) "I genuinely don't know how they are going to recruit players, Steve is excellent at the negotiating and has great contacts, but there's no one left to help identify players".

And that window was a shambles, but obviously mainly because of the Southall stuff, but since then we've had several below-par windows. This recent one has probably been our least bad, as in no real duds, but there's also no incredible bits of recruitment (apart from JRS on loan, obvs)

Not sure Martin Sandegaard is up to it. I'm not sure he could pull off the cardigan at a training ground look either.
    I've thought about this a lot down the years. We've had some lean years in terms of budget, but when we have spent money since TS came in, it's been largely poorly. Whereas we've had some frees, Dobbo, Hector, Egbo, Wollacott, O'Connell, who have been decent.

If Gallen is off, I'll appreciate the good squads he put together, but he also put together some incredibly lopsided ones. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Can you play fullback cants? How's the left peg? 
    Never mind that, how tall is he? 
  • Options
    On a related matter, I assume Sandgaard junior is offski?  Not seen anything official.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    Good at tracking!
  • Options
    I think the truth is that we never really knew how good Gallen was or wasn't. I think most wanted him to be good as he was a straight talker, but he never really had full opportunity
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I don't pass the CL height test I'm afraid.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    His best work was when Tommy Driesen was still at the club, genuinely 
    I remember that first window sans Tommy and him tweeting about (i'm paraphrasing from memory) "I genuinely don't know how they are going to recruit players, Steve is excellent at the negotiating and has great contacts, but there's no one left to help identify players".

And that window was a shambles, but obviously mainly because of the Southall stuff, but since then we've had several below-par windows. This recent one has probably been our least bad, as in no real duds, but there's also no incredible bits of recruitment (apart from JRS on loan, obvs)

Not sure Martin Sandegaard is up to it. I'm not sure he could pull off the cardigan at a training ground look either.
    I've thought about this a lot down the years. We've had some lean years in terms of budget, but when we have spent money since TS came in, it's been largely poorly. Whereas we've had some frees, Dobbo, Hector, Egbo, Wollacott, O'Connell, who have been decent.

If Gallen is off, I'll appreciate the good squads he put together, but he also put together some incredibly lopsided ones. 
    i'm not convinced - the only year we have been successful was when bowyer was calling in favours from people he knew in the game - cullen being an example  
  • Options
    Is Gallen staying? Is he possibly going to Qpr? It seems to have gone quiet on that lately.

Just to clarify his Tube travel arrangements. I understand that he lives in Shepherds Bush so the journey quoted fits in with that.
  • Options
    I think SG has a pretty good reputation within the game and given the shitshows he’s had to work under I’m amazed he’s been with us as long as he has. If there’s legs in Andy Scott returning which I’d assume is likely then I think it’s nailed on that SG will move on. QPR would probably be the perfect fit for him. If he goes I wish him every success. 
  • Options
    I'm pretty confident Gallen will be going.
  • Options
    Agree I think he’ll go but I’m surprised that we haven’t heard anything about Scott returning. What’s he doing now ?