Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Gallen

I think this deserves a thread of its own, rather than getting lost amongst the many others?

Up until now, I don’t think anyone’s questioned his role in the recruitment shambles of the past few seasons and I’m not necessarily laying any fingers of blame in his direction but he has been a constant in the recruitment process and he’s always been considered good at what he does but is he? I realise budget comes into play, so maybe his hands are tied?

Is he still part of the recruitment process or just the negotiator of deals?

Comments

• Options
    you answered your own question. His hands are tied.
    I agree his hands may be tied but he still presumably has a say on the players coming in?
  • Options
    There are certainly questions.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

What he said about signing Sam Lavelle, who had 2 teenagers picked Infront of him against Cheltenham...

"We’ve been talking about him internally for quite a few months,” Gallen said, “there was talk about shall we bring in a centre back or not because obviously we’ve got a few and we’ve got a few good players in that position but then Sam became available quite late to us and we decided to do it. 

“I think he is a great signing for the football club and one of a few players now that we’ve paid a transfer fee for and this is all quite new to me because I’ve been at the club for four and half years and for the first few years we didn’t pay a transfer fee for anybody. 

“Now Thomas Sandgaard has come in, he’s allowed us to do that and we’ve got a player now who is on a three-year contract, with an option for an additional year, so potentially a four-year contract, so we’re pleased to get someone of his age, captain of Morecambe, a good player, he’s a winner and I think he’s really going to help the team and the squad. He was a fan favourite at Morecambe and there is certainly no reason why he can’t become that at our club.”

Yeah he's not above getting some of the blame, maybe that's why TS stopped spending money, when Gallen spunked a load of it on absolute guff like Lavelle

• Options
    Taking a pay check.
    Thats it.
    Doubt he gives a stuff quite frankly.
  • Options
    I agree that while he's not the main cause of the current mess, questions can legitimately be asked about his role over the last few years.

We have had a distinct lack of success in the last 2 years when we've actually spent money, starting with DJ in January 2021. None of the below have enhanced their reputation or value since joining.

DJ
    Kirk
    Lavelle
    Stockley
    Aneke
    Fraser

• Options
    It doesn’t matter how good you are at identifying good promising young talented players, if the owner doesn’t buy them, you are buggered!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree that while he's not the main cause of the current mess, questions can legitimately be asked about his role over the last few years.

We have had a distinct lack of success in the last 2 years when we've actually spent money, starting with DJ in January 2021. None of the below have enhanced their reputation or value since joining.

DJ
    Kirk
    Lavelle
    Stockley
    Aneke
    Fraser

I think we paid £100k for Clare which has been great value. I'm equally worried that we won't extend the few worth keeping, let alone add to the squad.
  • Options
    He's not blameless but in the same boat as Garner/Jackson/anyone working for TS... You can only polish a turd so much. I really don't know if someone else would have been any better in the same circumstances.
  • Options
    I think it's a really interesting topic , I'm not entirely sure what his role is under Sandgaard after all the talk of " Black Boxes" and Martin Sandgaard as "Director of Analysis" and transfer committees. Is he just a negotiator that closes deals or is he still a DoF as he was pre TS?

In terms of signings he did definitely have a purple patch of getting a lot of very high quality loan players in and making sure that we were trusted by the big PL clubs to develop their talents. I'd probably even include players like Ian Maatsen in the success category although he was incredibly raw as a prospect. Obviously there was the 2 Matt Smith's that failed to make an impact at all. 

In terms of signings for fees it has seemed a bit scattergun. Lavelle was a B list choice when we got outbid for Jason Kerr who went to Wigan. Ironically DJ was a deadline day signing when we failed to get a deal across the line in  that January for Charlie Kirk , think that Kirk was a long term Gallen target. Fraser I thought made a lot of a sense , a player that had impressed at multiple clubs at this level but was just buried by that avalanche of signings at Ipswich (think they were even playing him wide left at one point). Converting Stockleys loan made sense , even if I think we probably ended up overpaying to see off Pompey. 

So all in all I think it's a bit of a mixed bag at least the last couple of windows I'm not entirely convinced by but not knowing what his role is makes it tough to properly judge. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    The players we've signed more recently have been OK - excl. Garner Swindon & JRS the likes Dobson, Clare, Fraser, Sessegnon are decent, O'Connell settled and looked alright.

Lavelle, Kirk, DJ, yeah, less convicing.

There's just been no money for a) any others or b) any better.

Don't think SG has been that good or that bad.
  • Options
    Not rated by the people i know
  • Options
    is Gallen a one man band or does he have a network of scouts around the various leagues ?
    if he and Sandy's son rely on videos to evaluate players, there are lies, damned lies, statistics and videos to confuse them
    Harsh to say, any REAL expert at player spotting would be at a big club ..  obviously at CAFC the idea is to spot unrecognised/unfulfilled talent of any age and recommend that they can do a job
    It's a very fine art .. look at how massive clubs can spend a fortune on a player, find out he's not what he seemed and then loan him out or sell him at a loss .. the big uns can afford mistakes, we can't

I am prepared to give Gallen the benefit of the doubt .. he's brought in (e.g.) Gallagher, Cullen, Bielik, Taylor amongst others and it looks as though he is now trying to sign the proverbial sow's ears and turn them into silk purses. Lastly, competition for talent is hot, could be that a t m CAFC is not regarded by talented players as the place to be
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    It’s something I’ve thought about and it’s definitely worth its own thread.

It’s a difficult one to judge as there’s so much we don’t know.

Which signings did he recommend?

Who did we miss out on (good and bad) due to disagreements from managers, owners and MS/TD or budget?

How well has he been supported with the people and tools he needs? Scouts, analysts and the systems they use? How much of this is in his control?

The more time passes since 18/19 the less relevant Taylor, Bielik and Cullen etc become. It could be argued they were obvious targets for someone in that role and players of their level rarely become available in the third tier. A lot of the players that go to Ipswich, Wigan last season etc are probably easily identified by all clubs of a similar size and it’s more down to budget and the manager than each scouting set up.

If we had a takeover I’d be happy to see a new recruitment team in place.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Came to the football club when Karl Robinson was manager. If a vacancy was to appear at Oxford for Gallen, would he decide to Jack it in and head to Oxford and a new challenge. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It’s something I’ve thought about and it’s definitely worth its own thread.

It’s a difficult one to judge as there’s so much we don’t know.

Which signings did he recommend?

Who did we miss out on (good and bad) due to disagreements from managers, owners and MS/TD or budget?

How well has he been supported with the people and tools he needs? Scouts, analysts and the systems they use?

The more time passes since 18/19 the less relevant Taylor, Bielik and Cullen etc become. It could be argued they were obvious targets for someone in that role and players of their level rarely become available in the third tier. A lot of the players that go to Ipswich, Wigan last season etc are probably easily identified by all clubs of a similar size and it’s more down to budget and the manager than each scouting set up.

If we had a takeover I’d be happy to see a new recruitment team in place.
    Think that's the in the top 3 of things that need sorting to be honest. 

I think some of our recent singings have been demonised a little more than they should but there is no denying that we have missed on some great signings like Scott Twine. Small fee to buy but big sell on...vital at League 1. 

Gallen has had his day I think and like most people behind the scenes at board level....needs to go.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Gallen’s recruitment was very good, and then the Sandgaards arrived. I think that says it all
    I think this is where Gallen has it easy. In all honesty, it's difficult to say who has been to blame because we don't know who decided what, and to what extent. However, you say Gallen was good before Sandgaard arrived but then we signed Oshilija, Oztumer, Kayal, Hemed and some others. Some defend Gallen because we were working on a League 1 budget in the Champ, which I agree, but the "miracle worker" stuff was way over the top. 

After relegation, Sandgaard spent some money. We have paid fees for Lavelle, Clare, Kirk, Fraser, DJ, Stockley, and Aneke. So until the summer just gone, Gallen has been in a better position than the years previously yet we're not performing better. We've not spent money particularly well and Gallen has been a part of that. 

For what it's worth, I think he is an asset to the club. He clearly has decent contacts and has received high praise for his negotiations. But from a scouting perspective, I think he deserves blame. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could he just be blagging it, you are judged on your work, what’s he actually done? Genuine question.
  • Options
    His best work was when Tommy Driesen was still at the club, genuinely 
  • Options
    Thomas really does think if he can imagine it he can make it happen, just delusional, our fate is with a guy who thinks he can be a smart arse with player negotiations (TS).🙈
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Not every player you bring in will be a success. That’s a fact. 

For every Mark Kinsella, John Robinson, Clive Mendonca, Josh Cullen you will have a Ralph Milne, Simon Francis, Neil Redfearn.

Of course, I don't think anyone will argue they should be. But you've got to weight up the good signings and the bad. That's not all down to a lack of budget, just like the early part of RD's reign, we've wasted money and I can't see how Gallen is blameless. 
  • Options
    The only thing that "worries" me about SG is,  IF he is so good why has he put up with so much shit? I will hazard a guess and say Charlton are not reknowned for paying top dollar, at least not in the last decade, so why is he still around with all the fuckwhittery and shambles enveloping him every day and at every turn? I know people stay in jobs for all sorts of personal reasons...  Is he that good?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Came to the football club when Karl Robinson was manager. If a vacancy was to appear at Oxford for Gallen, would he decide to Jack it in and head to Oxford and a new challenge. 
    Oxford would probably be an easier commute from his west London base.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Not every player you bring in will be a success. That’s a fact. 

For every Mark Kinsella, John Robinson, Clive Mendonca, Josh Cullen you will have a Ralph Milne, Simon Francis, Neil Redfearn.

Of course, I don't think anyone will argue they should be. But you've got to weight up the good signings and the bad. That's not all down to a lack of budget, just like the early part of RD's reign, we've wasted money and I can't see how Gallen is blameless. 
    Nowhere on this thread have I said he’s blameless on here, however is not a miracle worker or a magician. You will get players in for whatever reason don’t work out. That’s a fact