Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town | Friday 2nd December 2022 - 7:45pm | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Cheltenham Town
Friday 2nd December 2022 - 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Alan Young

Introduction
With the World Cup now in full swing its easy to forget about the upcoming games for Charlton, even more so when its a League game. You have to go back to an "enthralling" game at Port Vale to find the last time we kicked a ball in anger at this level, however even that statement is a bit of a stretch given the performance - Since then we've progressed in one cup, been knocked out in another, and conceded a last minute goal in a third to go to a televised replay, just typical of supporting Charlton really - We play hosts to Cheltenham Town this evening, with the game being moved to avoid any potential England games.

The Opposition
Name: Cheltenham Town (18th) | Manager: Wade Elliott
Ground: Whaddon Road
Previous League Result: Cheltenham Town 1-0 Wycombe Wanderers

Anyone who has played earlier versions of Championship Manager will know that an early piece of business should always be to sign Michael Duff, well Barnsley decided to play the game in real life this summer - Understandable given the fact that Cheltenham (in their first season back at this level) went on to finish in a respectful mid-table, and as they proved against the Addicks last season were a match for any side.

Well how do you replicate that season, or go even better... Well losing your Manager is perhaps the first hurdle to avoid; Wade Elliott was brought in to replace Duff, the ex-Midfielder (with a career spent with the likes of Burnley, Birmingham and Bournemouth), has stepped into his first Managerial role having originally been a simple coach @ Whaddon Road - Naturally second season syndrome has been a slight issue for the Robins (just the single win in the first seven), and it looks as though our opponents this evening will be spending a year fighting against the drop. However Cheltenham come to the Valley unbeaten in the last four (picking up eight points in the process), they may once again be finding their form, despite just the one win on the road all season.

In terms of players; Alfie May will no doubt be the one to watch, having scored 23-goals last season (his best campaign since playing for Erith & Belvedere) its a surprise he didnt move to bigger and better things... A bit like Cole Stockton this term though, the Striker only has four goals to his name this year, perhaps a sign that last campaign was nothing more than a flash in a pan.

Charlton Team News
Injuries continue to dominate another Charlton campaign with a number of first teamers currently on the side-lines; Jojo Wollacott is of course away with the Ghana squad despite suffering a finger injury in our last league game - Its meant that young Australian: Ashley Maynard-Brewer has finally been given an opportunity between the sticks, especially with Craig MacGillivray suffering his own (concussion) injury at Burton. However the Scottish 'keeper has returned to full fitness, following the set protocols, so you'd expect him to return in goal.

Elsewhere, and Jayden Stockley is set to miss his one and only League game through suspension - The Striker picked up a belated red card in our last league game, yet two of his three match suspension will of course come against Stockport County in the FA Cup. It meant that Chuks Aneke started on Saturday, his first since we hosted AFC Wimbledon back in February, so could well earn a starting berth once again this evening.

MacGillivray
Clare - Inniss - Lavelle - Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi - Dobson - Fraser - Campbell
Jaiyesimi - Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Ness - Payne - Morgan - Kanu - Blackett-Taylor - Kirk

Comments

• Options
    Great preview, we will just have enough today, 1-0 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Alfie May has scored 4 in 11so far this season .....so maybe a bit more than a "flash in the pan" and certainly a striker to watch
    out for. I know he would walk into our team even without our current injury/ suspension crisis. 

• Options
    Do we have two Lavelle's? If so, can we play the good one and leave the bad one on the bench (ie the one who's been crap recently).
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Feeling quite apathetic towards football right now. 

I'm going to say 1-0, Kirk to assist Aneke. 

MacGillivray
    Clare - Inniss - Ness- Sessegnon
    Dobson
    Rak-Sakyi - Morgan - Fraser - Kirk
    Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Asiimwe - Lavelle - Payne - Campbell- Kanu - Blackett-Taylor
  • Options
    Charlton have never beaten Cheltenham. No wins in the previous 3 games. 1 draw and 2 defeats 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

MacGillivray
    Dobson
    Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Asiimwe - Lavelle - Payne - Kirk- Kanu - Blackett-Taylor
    Kirk starting and on the bench... Living with Lavelle must give those two a split personality ;) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m expecting a return to 4-3-3 and I think that’s probably the right call as our defence just isn’t good enough to only have 2 central midfielders in front of it at the moment. I think it will be the same team as the cup game last week but with MacGillivray in goal. If Aneke starts then CBT needs to be on the bench so we still have a super sub 
  • Options
    So, for this evening’s edification I could watch Brazil v Cameroon for free or pay a tenner to watch Charlton v Cheltenham.  Hmm. Tricky one………..
  • Options
    Thermals and the full winter survival kit will be in use tonight so hopefully a nice home win will do, 2-0.
  • Options
    So, for this evening’s edification I could watch Brazil v Cameroon for free or pay a tenner to watch Charlton v Cheltenham.  Hmm. Tricky one………..
    Come on Billy you know what you’ll do
  • Options
    Personally i would leave Raki out he not  been great past month perhaps he got noticed and teams mark tightly , so leave him
    out start CBT and Kirk in a 442 …. Up top Kanu with Aneke 

Its going to be another stay calm sort of game Cheltenham will have all 11 behind the ball and as always early goal to us would change their tactics but the longer it goes on the tougher the game becomes .. 2-1 win but after we go a goal down at HT 

• Options
    Seems like a lifetime ago when we were last at the Valley, maybe it is because of the World Cup and football on the tele most days.
    No idea what Charlton will turn up tonight, will be expecting a thrilling game with lots of goals because that’s what I’ve got used to from my World Cup viewing.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Dazzler21 said:

MacGillivray
    Dobson
    Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Asiimwe - Lavelle - Payne - Kirk- Kanu - Blackett-Taylor
    Kirk starting and on the bench... Living with Lavelle must give those two a split personality ;) 

Changed my mind. 2-0, Kirk assists Kanu and then Campbell to assist Aneke. 

MacGillivray
    Dobson
    Kanu

Campbell, Aneke and B.Taylor to come on second half at a tiring defence... 
    Image result for Stans dad south park computer gif

• Options
    edited December 2022
    An evening for the diehards.

I am looking forward to it as I always do.

Unfortunately too often I walk away at the end wondering why I bothered.

1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Christ we could do with a win tonight to give a bit of Xmas cheer. 

Big Coat night tonight. 
  • Options
    will be there but mainly cause the kids wanna go (any excuse for a late night)

really not looking forward to it
  • Options
    Surely DJ will be involved.

Be good to see what he has to offer in his preferred CF position.

This is the first of 3 big & winnable games for us (to get us back in contention). Let’s hope we get off to a good start this eve.
  • Options
    ''So, for this evening’s edification I could watch Brazil v Cameroon for free or pay a tenner to watch Charlton v Cheltenham.  Hmm. Tricky one………..''

or you could watch Strictly Come Dancing on BBC1!
  • Options
    2-0 defeat, Aneke injured and out for the season
  • Options
    ''So, for this evening’s edification I could watch Brazil v Cameroon for free or pay a tenner to watch Charlton v Cheltenham.  Hmm. Tricky one………..''

or you could watch Strictly Come Dancing on BBC1!
    Charlton every time for me. Who gives a toss about Brazil v Cameroon!
  • Options
    Surely DJ will be involved.

Be good to see what he has to offer in his preferred CF position.

This is the first of 3 big & winnable games for us (to get us back in contention). Let’s hope we get off to a good start this eve.
    Forgot about DJ being fit again now...