Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre, Match & Post (p14) Thread| Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic (PJ2R)| Tues 22 November 2022

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    This game totally passed me by until about 5.30pm yesterday, when my boss - a Plymouth fan - said "huge game for us two tonight then!".

I promptly forgot about it again until this morning, when he said "disappointing result for us lot yesterday mate, well done". Thought we'd won, but upon finding out we'd lost, I... I literally did not care at all.

I think this competition is pretty pointless all told, and only serves to congest an already tight fixture list. But glad that some youngsters get a taste of (nominally) men's football and it doesn't seem like it was a disgraceful performance. There we go.
  • Options
    A glorified training game with some of the worst goals you're ever going to see. Modern coaches? I'll shit 'em.....
  • Options
    Just a general observation as didn't see the game:
    Cafc seem to have very good academy age groups especially the 16 to 18 age group But then the majority of players appear to stagnant.*  I know enough about youth/academy football to understand that is not unique to Charlton. The transition from boys to men's football is a giant leap and Arron Henry appears to be an example of this despite making his 1st team debut when just 16, also Deji who was my tip for bigger and better things along with Mason Burstow from that age group back in 2019/20.

The sad truth is the fact that Kanu and Deji are still at Cafc in the cut throat world of football tells you that their progress has slowed but I still believe both can have good careers as professional footballers.

Daniel Kanu has just turned 18 (November born 2004) so can he take his scoring for fun at every level so far to 1st team men's football ? Goal scorers are like gold dust so I don't see why not but you are only as good as the service you receive when you are in space. Marked closely by a Pearce or Inniss type 3rd tier CB can be a shock after youth football. 

I wish everyone of our academy boys good luck as the odds are against 'making it'.

*Aribo and Lookman were older when they joined Charlton, at 18 and 16 respectively.
    Lookman's Representatives picked Cafc after being assured he would get an opportunity for 1st team football by 18 if he made quick progress; the rest is history.
    Is Kanu's goalscoring record any better than Charlie Macdonald or Kevin Lisbie at youth level? Genuine question.
    Lisbie carved out a career at the highest level, albeit he was anything but prolific once he made the first team.
    Charlie Macdonald, meh.
    Kanu should get an opportunity to break through whilst we remain at this level but I don't see anything to get hyper excited about.
    I think I'm getting cynical in my old age

Good question ?
    I can't remember anyone scoring as many as Kanu for the U18 but Paul Walsh was prolific for the youth team back in the day and was elevated to the first team when Daniel Kanu's age. 

I'm cynical about the crazy goals given away by the mindless Jeopardy taken by keepers and defenders when pressed by the opposition.
    Ah yeh, but you could tell Walshie was something special from the off. Same with Defoe.
    Kanu not so much
  • Options
    genuinely amazed there were 101 fans who travelled down there for that

It will include the players comps whether used or not. I expect they get at least two each.
  • Options
    We're shite in the cups again!

Yeh!
  • Options
    It would be an interesting question to ask Guardiola and Klopp - if you guys were managing a 3rd division team with players of limited technical ability would you choose to play it out from the back 
    I know it’s hypothetical nonsense but I would be interested in their answers 
  • Options
    No

and

Nein nein

Would be my guess.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Just watched this, christ those two goals we gave them were awful, my grandsons under 11 team don’t give goals away like that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Just watched this, christ those two goals we gave them were awful, my grandsons under 11 team don’t give goals away like that 
    Just watched as well. Kind of goals i'd like an inquiry and an explanation for (in any other competition maybe). Awful. If they did that in a league game i'd paid to watch i would find it unforgivable.
  • Options
    It would be an interesting question to ask Guardiola and Klopp - if you guys were managing a 3rd division team with players of limited technical ability would you choose to play it out from the back 
    The answer would be "if my uncle had tits he would be my auntie" obviously.
  • Options
    I thought Anderson took his goal really well. Was it also him that had that long range drive from outside the box that forced a good save? it is rare we see a Charlton midfielder pinning those on target. 
    That was Asiimwe 
  • Options
    Terrible defending.  Unforgiveable.   Even if the edict is to play out from the back those goals we gave away are piss poor.
  • Options
    I’m sure they would given clubs have proven it can be done at this level, the current top two for example. Bowyer’s promotion side did it too, though they went more direct if they had to.

Making those mistakes is a good opportunity for the youngsters to learn from it. Much rather that than Henry doing it in a league game.
  • Options
    genuinely amazed there were 101 fans who travelled down there for that
    I'm only 45 miles away. I couldn't be arsed to go or pay a tenner.

Still followed the scores though.
    No. 
    Now I know we are in trouble.