Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre, Match & Post (p14) Thread| Plymouth Argyle vs Charlton Athletic (PJ2R)| Tues 22 November 2022

Comments

• Options
    I thought Anderson took his goal really well. Was it also him that had that long range drive from outside the box that forced a good save? it is rare we see a Charlton midfielder pinning those on target. 
    From memory it was Asiimwe who had that shot from outside the box 
  • Options
    Just a general observation as didn't see the game:
    Cafc seem to have very good academy age groups especially the 16 to 18 age group But then the majority of players appear to stagnant.*  I know enough about youth/academy football to understand that is not unique to Charlton. The transition from boys to men's football is a giant leap and Arron Henry appears to be an example of this despite making his 1st team debut when just 16, also Deji who was my tip for bigger and better things along with Mason Burstow from that age group back in 2019/20.

The sad truth is the fact that Kanu and Deji are still at Cafc in the cut throat world of football tells you that their progress has slowed but I still believe both can have good careers as professional footballers.

Daniel Kanu has just turned 18 (November born 2004) so can he take his scoring for fun at every level so far to 1st team men's football ? Goal scorers are like gold dust so I don't see why not but you are only as good as the service you receive when you are in space. Marked closely by a Pearce or Inniss type 3rd tier CB can be a shock after youth football. 

I wish everyone of our academy boys good luck as the odds are against 'making it'.

*Aribo and Lookman were older when they joined Charlton, at 18 and 16 respectively.
    Lookman's Representatives picked Cafc after being assured he would get an opportunity for 1st team football by 18 if he made quick progress; the rest is history.
    Is Kanu's goalscoring record any better than Charlie Macdonald or Kevin Lisbie at youth level? Genuine question.
    Lisbie carved out a career at the highest level, albeit he was anything but prolific once he made the first team.
    Charlie Macdonald, meh.
    Kanu should get an opportunity to break through whilst we remain at this level but I don't see anything to get hyper excited about.
    I think I'm getting cynical in my old age
  • Options
    Lovely possession football out from the back creates goals 

ok for the opposition but 3 goals nonetheless 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Reminded me of Burton a couple of years ago - gifting them 2 early goals by our defensive errors.

But that's the way the manager wants to play - and we scored our first by pressing their defender. 

Ho hum. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    This is the goal everyone was crying about , looks onside to me 
    It’s all about the tee shirt line apparently these days and the forward’s left shoulder looks in front to me but the camera is not square on to the last defender. I reckon VAR would have ruled it offside. Also look at the lino he’s watching the ball so how can he be sure the forward was onside? If in doubt he should have stuck his flag up!
    I thought there was a rule (probably changed for the umpteenth time) that you could only be offside by a part of your body that could legally score, ie....your head, leg, body etc. Not your arm (as was the case in at least one of Argentina's offside goals yesterday). 
  • Options
    Wow - the manner we gave them 2 goals without them pressing overly hard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    It’s all about the tee shirt line apparently these days and the forward’s left shoulder looks in front to me but the camera is not square on to the last defender. I reckon VAR would have ruled it offside. Also look at the lino he’s watching the ball so how can he be sure the forward was onside? If in doubt he should have stuck his flag up!
    I thought there was a rule (probably changed for the umpteenth time) that you could only be offside by a part of your body that could legally score, ie....your head, leg, body etc. Not your arm (as was the case in at least one of Argentina's offside goals yesterday). 
    Arm of God?
  • Options
    If anybody hasn't mentioned this yet can I be the first to say

meh.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    RedChaser said:
    Tee shirt line I assume is the top of the arm that don’t get sunburnt so above that ie the  shoulder, which wouldn’t be hand ball 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    That 'pass' for Plymouth's second goal is one of the worst I've ever seen , it wasn't even close to a Charlton player ...
    appreciate it helped get us out of the competition though 
    Agreed I think I might have been a tad harsh on keepers’ passing abilities above, add Centre Backs to that 😉,

• Options
    That 'pass' for Plymouth's second goal is one of the worst I've ever seen , it wasn't even close to a Charlton player ...
    It was a pass, he looked like he thought he was passing it to a teammate: why didn’t we wear red?
    we often seem to make odd decisions at times, seems a tradition.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    It was a pass, he looked like he thought he was passing it to a teammate: why didn’t we wear red?
    The only excuse for that is the lad must be colour blind which red on green is the most common. If so sod being at tragic light controlled crossroads with him coming the other way 😰.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What strikes me in matches is the number of times a pass goes behind our players and they have to turn to retrieve it. This even happens when we are tapping it about at the back, which they appear to be training for? That is bad enough, but when we are coming forwards, all too often momentum is lost as a player has to check his run and double back.       
    Massive frustration with our teams all flow/catching the oppo out of position is lost.
  • Options
    Last night was the first time in ages that I had absolutely no interest in a Charlton match. Didn’t e watch and didn’t follow on Twitter or CL 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    The only excuse for that is the lad must be colour blind which red on green is the most common. If so sod being at tragic light controlled crossroads with him coming the other way 😰.
    That would have actually been understandable but we were in white!
  • Options
    We will be out of the FA Cup on Saturday too.
  • Options
    Impressed with the young right back 
  • Options
    genuinely amazed there were 101 fans who travelled down there for that
    I'm only 45 miles away. I couldn't be arsed to go or pay a tenner.

Still followed the scores though.
  • Options
    Used to like this competition before the U21 nonsense and now really have no interest.  That said, it clearly means a lot to the youngsters who get to make their debut for us and will be a special moment for Kanu and Anderson with their first goals for the first team.  Well done to both.  Both exciting prospects and I love Anderson's tweet.  We are a great club!

As for Mitchell, he will be some player but made a clumsy pass last night. All young players make mistakes. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Just a general observation as didn't see the game:
    Cafc seem to have very good academy age groups especially the 16 to 18 age group But then the majority of players appear to stagnant.*  I know enough about youth/academy football to understand that is not unique to Charlton. The transition from boys to men's football is a giant leap and Arron Henry appears to be an example of this despite making his 1st team debut when just 16, also Deji who was my tip for bigger and better things along with Mason Burstow from that age group back in 2019/20.

The sad truth is the fact that Kanu and Deji are still at Cafc in the cut throat world of football tells you that their progress has slowed but I still believe both can have good careers as professional footballers.

Daniel Kanu has just turned 18 (November born 2004) so can he take his scoring for fun at every level so far to 1st team men's football ? Goal scorers are like gold dust so I don't see why not but you are only as good as the service you receive when you are in space. Marked closely by a Pearce or Inniss type 3rd tier CB can be a shock after youth football. 

I wish everyone of our academy boys good luck as the odds are against 'making it'.

*Aribo and Lookman were older when they joined Charlton, at 18 and 16 respectively.
    Lookman's Representatives picked Cafc after being assured he would get an opportunity for 1st team football by 18 if he made quick progress; the rest is history.
    Is Kanu's goalscoring record any better than Charlie Macdonald or Kevin Lisbie at youth level? Genuine question.
    Lisbie carved out a career at the highest level, albeit he was anything but prolific once he made the first team.
    Charlie Macdonald, meh.
    Kanu should get an opportunity to break through whilst we remain at this level but I don't see anything to get hyper excited about.
    I think I'm getting cynical in my old age

Good question ?
    I can't remember anyone scoring as many as Kanu for the U18 but Paul Walsh was prolific for the youth team back in the day and was elevated to the first team when Daniel Kanu's age. 

I'm cynical about the crazy goals given away by the mindless Jeopardy taken by keepers and defenders when pressed by the opposition.
  • Options
    positives ? .. some youngsters were given a first team run out
  • Options
    So many teams get into trouble passing it around their own box, I've seen a few in Serie A even where defending is a science. Feels like Pep dreamt it up to make other teams self-destruct.