Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton TV - World cup pass

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    It is for people who are not going to the games. It is an offer of 7 games for 70 quid including games you cannot usually stream. 

Not sure what the issue is here. 
    So where is this ‘offer’ of which you speak?
    It is offering you seven games for 70 quid. 
    As opposed to seven individual games at £10 each? I still fail to see where the offer is. Maybe it’s just me.
    You are confusing an offer (to present or proffer something to someone for them to accept or reject as desired) with a discount 
  • Slightly confused to read on and discover there wasn’t a discount for buying all, although I suspect it may be against EFL rules to sell league games for less than £10?

Agreed they should’ve just gone with the headline that all matches are available (unlike normal 3pm ko games) as that will be a bonus for many
  • What a bloody stupid idea! May buy game by game for those I cannot get to, but what a promotional 101 fail ❌
  • MrOneLung said:
    It is for people who are not going to the games. It is an offer of 7 games for 70 quid including games you cannot usually stream. 

Not sure what the issue is here. 
    This.

I won’t be able to go to the home games as too much on. I will stream all 7 and pay in one hit for convenience. 
    And for every game you miss (if you miss any) you lose £10.
    I’ll watch them all. Difference is that by watching on TV, it takes 90 minutes or so out of my day. If I go to The Valley it will take 5 hours out of my day. And I can watch the away games as well,  I’m happy with that and buying 7 in one hit means I don’t have to mess about each game buying the stream and logging on to PayPal etc. 
  • Inputting it only once instead of 7 times is worth the £70 … gets on my tits all the pfafff 

Exactly.
  • The £70 'offer' may be a little clumsy but I'm not sure it warrants some of the reactions here
    That’s what a forum is all about. Different views and opinions 
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    The £70 'offer' may be a little clumsy but I'm not sure it warrants some of the reactions here
    That’s what a forum is all about. Different views and opinions 
    I disagree...  ;):D
  • A fundamental problem is that crowds are part of the event and the higher the percentage watching at home the less there is to the event.

I can see that a percentage of never travellers will provide extra revenue in respect of away games, but Port Vale and Morecambe will miss out because I’ll watch the stream (and would regardless of the 3pm block) and Charlton will miss out for everyone tipped into watching the Valley matches  from home instead of travelling. I seriously doubt this and the cost is offset by revenue from non-attenders, even with season ticket holders paying twice.

it’s pointless fighting technological change but the current streaming business model is flawed and the game will cannibalise its own revenue if there is unfettered home access to every match  for £10 a household. 
    Again, I ask myself how many other people would actually make a decision not to go to a routine game at Morecambe simply because the game is streamed.

I was planning a weekend away for this game but have been put off by illness and the train strikes. Although I will watch the stream that has absolutely nothing to do with my decision not to go.

If the Morecambe stream was cancelled today for some technical reason, I can only really imagine a few dozen extra supporters being so determined to "watch the game in real time" that they would make the trip instead. It's a pity there is no way to do a controlled experiment to test this out!
  • This thread, once again, proves people on this thread like nothing better than a good moan. Good news is announced that we can view extra games thast normally we can't. Price the same £10 a game or if you want can prepay the whole package. What is there really to maon about.

Except having a goan maon about people moaning!
  • A fundamental problem is that crowds are part of the event and the higher the percentage watching at home the less there is to the event.

I can see that a percentage of never travellers will provide extra revenue in respect of away games, but Port Vale and Morecambe will miss out because I’ll watch the stream (and would regardless of the 3pm block) and Charlton will miss out for everyone tipped into watching the Valley matches  from home instead of travelling. I seriously doubt this and the cost is offset by revenue from non-attenders, even with season ticket holders paying twice.

it’s pointless fighting technological change but the current streaming business model is flawed and the game will cannibalise its own revenue if there is unfettered home access to every match  for £10 a household. 
    Again, I ask myself how many other people would actually make a decision not to go to a routine game at Morecambe simply because the game is streamed.

I was planning a weekend away for this game but have been put off by illness and the train strikes. Although I will watch the stream that has absolutely nothing to do with my decision not to go.

If the Morecambe stream was cancelled today for some technical reason, I can only really imagine a few dozen extra supporters being so determined to "watch the game in real time" that they would make the trip instead. It's a pity there is no way to do a controlled experiment to test this out!
    The existence of a decent streaming service is probably a factor, but not the sole consideration when people decide whether to go to games. I would imagine the trains (both availability and pricing), attractiveness of fixture (new ground or Charlton being on a good run), location of the game, financial situation and probably myriad others that I’m not thinking about are part of the decision making process. A streaming option is an additional and new factor that will be taken into consideration by some people. 
  • edited November 2022
    redman said:
    This thread, once again, proves people on this thread like nothing better than a good moan. Good news is announced that we can view extra games thast normally we can't. Price the same £10 a game or if you want can prepay the whole package. What is there really to maon about.

Anyone can watch any game already. No doubt some play by the rules or imagine a VPN is too complicated, but if you want to watch any game you can. The club knows this very well and is happy with it. Indeed, you can watch in multiple households on the same log-in, which is another reason the model is flawed. I doubt the owner even knows that.
  • edited November 2022
    se9addick said:
    A fundamental problem is that crowds are part of the event and the higher the percentage watching at home the less there is to the event.

The existence of a decent streaming service is probably a factor, but not the sole consideration when people decide whether to go to games. I would imagine the trains (both availability and pricing), attractiveness of fixture (new ground or Charlton being on a good run), location of the game, financial situation and probably myriad others that I’m not thinking about are part of the decision making process. A streaming option is an additional and new factor that will be taken into consideration by some people. 
    I mentioned away games because it should be recognised there is a revenue gain for Charlton and (probably) a small net loss for the host club. However, as an exercise in eating your own revenue the home game streaming is the prime example. There is no way in my opinion that sales of streams are offsetting reduced ticket and ancillary revenue, plus cost, which I suggest is one reason the club won’t give us hard numbers.

Now you might view this loss in any number of ways and it is entirely possible there is no practical streaming model that would work - just as there is no working model for online newspapers - but clubs have to recognise it for what it is. The club increased ticket prices by up to 26% this season so if lower match prices is part of the solution it clearly didn’t recognise that.

I think TS had the idea that he could create a worldwide - never mind domestic - audience for streaming that would generate extra revenue, ultimately commercially as well as match receipts, but in practice it’s just another way of leaking money, because there’s no audience for it outside the existing Charlton diaspora and never will be.

It’s a great service for existing fans and I enjoy watching it. It’s never stopped me going to a home game and it’s unlikely it ever will. But I very much doubt it makes sense financially or that there is a business case for it at the current level which stacks up when the avowed business objective is to break even.
  • redman said:
    This thread, once again, proves people on this thread like nothing better than a good moan. Good news is announced that we can view extra games thast normally we can't. Price the same £10 a game or if you want can prepay the whole package. What is there really to maon about.

Not sure what a Goan Maon is, but it sounds delicious.
  • As an aside it's a bit weird why this "FIFA dispensation" runs up to the 1st January, when the World Cup ends on the 18th December.

And it's slightly odd promoting to UK fans a package which would appear to be encouraging them not to go to home games, especially the Boxing Day fixture against Peterborough, as if you've bought all 7 games, you're less likely to actually turn up in person, even to a game unaffected by the WC.
  • se9addick said:
    A fundamental problem is that crowds are part of the event and the higher the percentage watching at home the less there is to the event.

I mentioned away games because it should be recognised there is a revenue gain for Charlton and (probably) a small net loss for the host club. However, as an exercise in eating your own revenue the home game streaming is the prime example. There is no way in my opinion that sales of streams are offsetting reduced ticket and ancillary revenue, plus cost, which I suggest is one reason the club won’t give us hard numbers.

Now you might view this loss in any number of ways and it is entirely possible there is no practical streaming model that would work - just as there is no working model for online newspapers - but clubs have to recognise it for what it is. The club increased ticket prices by up to 26% this season so if lower match prices is part of the solution it clearly didn’t recognise that.

I think TS had the idea that he could create a worldwide - never mind domestic - audience for streaming that would generate extra revenue, ultimately commercially as well as match receipts, but in practice it’s just another way of leaking money, because there’s no audience for it outside the existing Charlton diaspora and never will be.

It’s a great service for existing fans and I enjoy watching it. It’s never stopped me going to a home game and it’s unlikely it ever will. But I very much doubt it makes sense financially or that there is a business case for it at the current level which stacks up when the avowed business objective is to break even.
    Agreed on Thomas’ admirable (albeit completely unrealistic) ambition for what the streaming service could deliver in terms of revenue. I’ve seen other L1 teams product on IPTV a couple of times, and of course you see the footage quality created by the home team when you watch us play away. I would bet that the quality of our streaming service - with a professional, former Sky Sports presenter, dedicated in stadium studio and ex-pro pundits, is significantly above the vast majority of the division, probably better than most Championship teams too. It’s frankly better than it really needs to be and I can only imagine that’s because it was/is seen as potentially lucrative revenue stream. 
  • Sponsored links:

• How many people do we think would seriously consider going to a game, then sack it off because it’s available online?

I can’t imagine myself ever making that decision, but with actually attending not possible, I think the service is fantastic and will buy a season pass for as long as it’s available, despite missing almost every midweek game. 
  • As an aside it's a bit weird why this "FIFA dispensation" runs up to the 1st January, when the World Cup ends on the 18th December.

And it's slightly odd promoting to UK fans a package which would appear to be encouraging them not to go to home games, especially the Boxing Day fixture against Peterborough, as if you've bought all 7 games, you're less likely to actually turn up in person, even to a game unaffected by the WC.
    Does seem a bit of an own goal!

On Boxing Day seven premier league fixtures are available (effectively) free on Amazon Prime with four of them kicking off at three o clock and competing directly with Charlton's game.

But I suspect the majority of people who actually go to games on Boxing Day are desperate to get out of the house and get some fresh air. :)

"Bugger it - I've already spent 10 quid on the game, so I'll have to stay indoors with the family eating stale Christmas cake.  Granny will just have to watch Southampton v Brighton on the kid's TV".
  • How many people do we think would seriously consider going to a game, then sack it off because it’s available online?

I can’t imagine myself ever making that decision, but with actually attending not possible, I think the service is fantastic and will buy a season pass for as long as it’s available, despite missing almost every midweek game. 
    Like I said, I don’t think the availability of a stream would be the sole cause for someone deciding not to go. But if the trains were a mess, the team are playing rubbish, money was tight and a stream was available then the combination of two or more of those factors might lead someone to decide not to go. 
  • edited November 2022
    redman said:

Anyone can watch any game already. No doubt some play by the rules or imagine a VPN is too complicated, but if you want to watch any game you can. The club knows this very well and is happy with it. Indeed, you can watch in multiple households on the same log-in, which is another reason the model is flawed. I doubt the owner even knows that.
    I can't use a VPN so it's not true. I looked into it but seemed quite complicated so gave up. When I did research I though I could get on my laptop but don't think I can have on my smart TV. Technically it's also illegal (although not sure about that and certainly not my point) although the chances of being prosecuted are non-existent. There are also people who might watch but can't be bothered because of the VPN complication (I know of at least 1). I'm sure the club is quite happy with it as it would be extra revenue. 
    Anyway my real point was that it's not an issue worth moaning about. There are far more serious issues at the club.
  • redman said:
    redman said:

I can't use a VPN so it's not true. I looked into it but seemed quite complicated so gave up. When I did research I though I could get on my laptop but don't think I can have on my smart TV. Technically it's also illegal (although not sure about that and certainly not my point) although the chances of being prosecuted are non-existent. There are also people who might watch but can't be bothered because of the VPN complication (I know of at least 1). I'm sure the club is quite happy with it as it would be extra revenue. 
    Anyway my real point was that it's not an issue worth moaning about. There are far more serious issues at the club.
    Afraid I am in the same boat. I tried but can't get a vpn to work so don't bother. Will now be watching the PV and Morecambe games though. I'd watch all the aways if I could.
  • I wish we could stream every away match legally, would save a bundle on trains, hotels and match day travel.
  • edited November 2022
    Download the Opera browser & a free VPN is built in.
    Just make sure the VPN logo/icon in the top left hand corner of your screen is clicked to on as opposed to off, if this needs doing.
    Then simply buy the Saturday games through the Opera browser and watch them through the Opera browser.
    It's very simple. 
  • Download the Opera browser & a free VPN is built in.
    Just make sure the VPN logo/icon in the top left hand corner of your screen is clicked to on as opposed to off, if this needs doing.
    Then simply buy the Saturday games through the Opera browser and watch them through the Opera browser.
    It's very simple. 
    Does a fat lady sing at full time on that browser?
  • edited November 2022
    I wish we could stream every away match legally, would save a bundle on trains, hotels and match day travel.
    You can, it's not illegal, it may be contravening EFL rules (so what if Charlton benefit & they don't care).
  • Download the Opera browser & a free VPN is built in.
    It's very simple. 
    Connect your laptop to your TV with an HDMI cable which you can buy from Amazon. It's simpler than buying a railway ticket!