Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garner’s Sending Off

Comments

• Options
    Is this game going to get released on dvd or something 

"Ipswich.. Stoppage time 22!" 

Sandgaard does a tiger king like front cover pose wearing a dodgy shirt 
  • Options
    The keepers and defenders making mistakes from both sides made the drama that ensued. 4-4 draw in a 100 plus minute game which will be mentioned in despatches as the first game when Charlton scored 4 goals and only a minority of the home support saw all 4 goals. A supporter of long standing even left by choice without seeing any home goals ! 

Keepers on form and a referee not winding up Garner and the fans them that is a routine 1-1 home draw between two teams that have known better higher days.
  • Options
    Any videos of this?
  • Options
    I’m fairly certain that just after he was shown the red card but before he had another chat with the 4th official, he did the naked glove puppet mime to the ref to suggest the ref was talking bollocks. Made me laugh
    He was making that gesture. Not sure why and I thought that would get him in more trouble. 
  • Options
    Well done Ben Garner, huge respect to you. Like to see this more often (but not the sendings off)!
    You've gone up 100% in my estimation great stuff!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smithy said:
    Probably my favourite Charlton manager moment since Luzon did the touch line run after our 97th minute winner against Hull. It was amazing to see that kind of reaction from someone who is usually so diplomatic. There’s no doubt in my mind that it had an impact on the result.
    Bowyer at Wembley?
  • Options
    Great connection between Garner and the crowd
    Careful now.....

When JJ was given the bum's rush the morning after last season's POTY dinner, I heard some speculating that TS was clearly jealous of the "adulation" and love that the Legend (rightly) received from those present on the night.

And, "coming a poor second" just wasn't acceptable to someone with such a huge ego. Was this, perhaps, the final straw for the Green Eyed Monster ? 

Should there be some truth in this speculation, I'm wondering whether our owner might begin to view his manager in a different light.

:smile:
  • Options
    My take on it is he went down the tunnel as he probably wasn’t thinking straight at the time 
    Probably no bad thing he did
    He'd lost his cool to such an extent he'd never have kept himself in check if he'd been in the stands
    All that geeing up the crowd and gesturing back to the officials will see him on a charge for certain.
    He's doubled down on it in interviews since. Slagging off the ref and the fourth official as not good enough.  That's never tolerated by the clowns at EFL especially when it's accurate.
  • Options
    The game turned on the introduction of Chuks and Corey, but I agree with those saying that Garner's antics fired up our crowd in a very positive way.
    That said I don't think his ostentatious indiscipline sets a very good example to the players, even if it worked in our favour this time.
    I also don't agree with his comment about playing against 12 men.
    The referee wasn't biased towards Ipswich he was just fecking incompetant.
    It was like he was insecure in his own authority and had to keep making "look at me I'm in charge" grand gestures and bookings galore. Worst I've seen for ages.
  • Options
    Was it Garner who heard the ref proclaiming to be the world’s greatest referee before the game?

If so, that probably added to BG’s anger during said ref’s display of ineptitude/incompetence.
  • Options
    Great connection between Garner and the crowd
    Careful now.....

When JJ was given the bum's rush the morning after last season's POTY dinner, I heard some speculating that TS was clearly jealous of the "adulation" and love that the Legend (rightly) received from those present on the night.

And, "coming a poor second" just wasn't acceptable to someone with such a huge ego. Was this, perhaps, the final straw for the Green Eyed Monster ? 

Should there be some truth in this speculation, I'm wondering whether our owner might begin to view his manager in a different light.

:smile:
    To be honest I think the football and results done for Johnnie. Nothing else. 
    Ok, that's your opinion.

I only know what I've been told & seen for myself.
  • Options
    The main thing you don’t want from a referee is if they deliberately favour one team. Maybe through being a supporter, or through nationality, rivalry, bribery, blackmail…that’s about it.
    My view is that the referees are neutral 99.99999999999recurring percent of the time.
    Don’t people get that?
    Of course referees can be appalling, suffer from delusions about themselves, relish the power, make terrible decisions, miss things, fail to work well with assistants, forget equipment, get injuries, turn up late, demand outrageous riders in the changing room or whatever, but they must be neutral.
    And even if they’re crap in every way how often does dissent or ranting and raving change events and results?
    I think if you’re trying to influence a referee your best bet is to seduce, charm, cooperate, comply, make a polite eyebrow raise as to the position of a free kick or throw…be sporting, because that’s what referees tell themselves what they’re involved with, the nobility of sport.
    Garner likes to educate himself about all aspects of football, maybe his education needs to be a bit wider.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like Garner. I think he’s got something about his coaching and he’s straightforward when he talks. Given the support I have little doubt he’ll get us promoted but he does need support from the owner. 50/50 that he gets it. In any case unless I’m very wrong about his abilities I have no doubt that sooner or later a Championship club will come calling. I’d say unless we get out of this division within the next two seasons after this he’ll realise he’s not able to progress and be gone. All up to TS. What we’re currently getting from the owner won’t be enough to hold onto him, I don’t think. For the first time since Lee Bowyer took us to Wembley, all the positives out of the club are coming from the players. We’ve had some poor results too but at least we are seeing something to cheer with some decent football to boot. I know we’ve said it so many times but a couple of astute Championship loans in January could get us to sixth. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

:
    Indeed. And anyway, even if the ref was ours it would still only be 11.5 men with Chaplin on the pitch!

MAde me laugh

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    What a shocking forum. Looks like it’s from about 2005 and seems to have no moderation whatsoever. I was looking for a match thread, but it looks like they just start a new thread every time something happens. Shambles. 
  • Options
    It's always good to get an alternative view. When was the basket ball incident in our box that should have been a red. My biased eyes didn't see that.

the Chaplin comment made me laugh because he was one of the players that went down whenever anyone was near him and won a few free kicks for them
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    What a shocking forum. Looks like it’s from about 2005 and seems to have no moderation whatsoever. I was looking for a match thread, but it looks like they just start a new thread every time something happens. Shambles. 
    RED CARD, blatant brown-nosing here
  • Options
    Loved this comment from their forum;

''bet he wasn't upset by the fathom whistler blower of old london town. mind you i did see a whistle fall out of his pocket as he was led away.''
  • Options
    No wonder he lost it after the two pathetic performances from the ref's in the last two home games. I actually wonder do the football league actually play these games back to see, or will they forever just accept inept referee's.
  • Options
    No wonder he lost it after the two pathetic performances from the ref's in the last two home games. I actually wonder do the football league actually play these games back to see, or will they forever just accept inept referee's.
    Probably just a box ticking exercise.

"OK, mate.

You turned up. 

You remembered your whistle. 

You avoided getting punched.

You kept the crowd awake.

More of the same next time, please. "