Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town | Saturday 29th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    Rarely post on these threads and PWR too.

Garner has spoke a lot about really wanting to bring the team and the supporters closer together. He recognises that this is a key element to success, especially when he hasn’t got all the tools he needs. Well, I’ve got to say the spirit, the character, the fight and passion that came on and off the field today could well be a catalyst. We have a lot going on at the moment that’s not positive, but if we are to be successful despite that, we need that togetherness Garner has spoken of. I hope this is just what everyone needed and we use this today to kick on.

I have never experienced a game like that before and it was so fitting that Dobson, whilst wearing the armband, scored at the death in front of the Covered End. I just wish more were in the ground to see and experience it.

Onwards and upwards.
    I watched the stream and the drama at the end felt like something from a Curbishley era game in the early 2000s.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stormed out when Ipswich scored their fourth. It was too much!
    Heard our third just outside the club shop, and what sounded like Ipswich’s fifth in Floyd Rd. Everyone thought the same, until someone saw on his phone that it was us who scored. 
    Gutted to have missed it. Aaaagh!!
    Can’t wait to see it on ITV. It has to be the first L1 match for a change.
    For all the stick I get at least I stay through thick & thin. Never leave before the end. Never.

You're no more than a glory boy. Go support your grandfathers team. 
    A bit harsh that is, there’s no need for point scoring. 

Nah, I take a lot of fucking stick & dont usually bite. But this time some people have even been questioning whether I wanted us to win. 
    Not me guv. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    If you look hard enough at the video you can figure out their number 4 and just watch him for the whole sequence.
    It's almost the definition of Karma.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing I remember today, beyond all the madness, is that after Rak-Sakyi accidentally left a hand in on Sam Morsy's face for an innocuous foul (but a foul nonetheless) late in the second half after a tussle, he immediately apologised. Morsy rolled around to waste time, and Rak-Sakyi went in about 30 seconds later (while Morsy was still shithousing) to apologise again. It looked absolutely genuine. We've got a good bloke there, even if he is on loan for Palace. Hopefully he stays for the season.
  • Options
    You can ignore the first 15 minutes of this and just watch the last six. Great stuff. https://youtu.be/Uuume5iogfo
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Scoham said:
    If you look hard enough at the video you can figure out their number 4 and just watch him for the whole sequence.
    It's almost the definition of Karma.

Much prefer you sniping at the opposition instead of our manager, as you did  when he showed his passion to the crowd,
    That snipe sucked.

• Options
    How's this from our manager, whiners?

"I'm so proud of the players," he said. "To come back from two down once is amazing - to do it twice in the same game, in stoppage time, shows the character and team spirit that is growing.

"They are the strongest team in the division and we went toe to toe with them for long periods and were better than them for long periods of the game."

• Options
    Well. Not bad that.

First half was proper awkward viewing, so stop start and with two teams just cancelling each other out the forced changes gave Ipswich more of an edge.

Second half better once we got CBT and Aneke on. Big game changers. The pair of them are so much more effective coming off the bench, if we can find similar to play like them from the start we'd be something else.

Ref. That has to be the worst ref performance I've ever seen. Pathetic.

But, it wasn't all down to him and injuries though (well can blame the injury a bit I guess) some terrible defending and decesion making on our part gifted them most of their goals, the forced changes at the back probably didn't help much, but, still, not great.

What a way to fight back right to the very end but bitter sweet given O'Connell and Egbo injuries. We already have to "see what might be available" for that elusive striker, unlikely to see a decent option brought in for O'Connell and Egbo if long term, and of course miles seems to be out for longer.

Great point, not so great in getting to it though 😅
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Just an additional thought, never noticed before but Wollacott is very flat footed at times particularly against free kicks, maybe why he gets beat from distance so often.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Reminds me of Leaburn scoring in the last minute against Norwich to draw us level at 4-4 after going 4-2 down with 5 minutes left! Anyone else at that game?
    Yes.  A couple of goals from Jason Lee, too.  Can't remember who scored the other.  Robson?
  • Options
    Maybe I need new glasses but I didn't have a big problem with the ref.  I couldn't see a problem with any of the player bookings, although I have no idea what Garner did to get on his bad side.

The lino on the AC side got most of the off-sides correct but his biggest contribution was not seeing Chucks grab their guy round the neck to get away for our first.
  • Options
    Great comeback. 
    Now the dust has settled, losing Egbo and the much improved O’Connell is a massive blow.
    Hopefully they aren’t serious injuries.
    Egbo and Sess give us balance and we look a far better team. None of the other players seem to give us the same fluidity. 
    O’Connell has looked imperious.
    And with Innis suspended that’s a another new centre back pairing in Thomas and Lavelle.
    Hopefully they quickly form an understanding.