Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town | Saturday 29th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    I reckon there's a shout of Morgan at right-back vs Coalville, just in case we need another option there. He did it against Plymouth! With everyone else dropping like flies, our many midfielders aren't. They may have to do a job elsewhere 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I reckon there's a shout of Morgan at right-back vs Coalville, just in case we need another option there. He did it against Plymouth! With everyone else dropping like flies, our many midfielders aren't. They may have to do a job elsewhere 
    I can't agree with that one Leuth. Quite simply if Albie added defensive nous to his game, he would be looking at a move to a higher division at some time. Ipswich were strong down our right-hand side and in that first half Albie could not keep up with their give and go movement, Albie's lack of defensive understanding is what's holding him back.
  • Options
    We deserved to draw today.
    their second goal from a free kit should never have happened as it was NOT a free kick.
    the Referee was a f—King disgrace and should be seriously inept.

we Have a great young manager and IF our Ego
    Rock N Roll owner would keep his word and get us one proper striker and another good reliable 
    defender we could be the best team in this league.
    Ipswich Town are not that good as we can see.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Leuth said:
    I can't agree with that one Leuth. Quite simply if Albie added defensive nous to his game, he would be looking at a move to a higher division at some time. Ipswich were strong down our right-hand side and in that first half Albie could not keep up with their give and go movement, Albie's lack of defensive understanding is what's holding him back.
    Perhaps. But when he's on the pitch he's capable of creating chances. Dobson and Fraser's partnership is unbreakable, so he either has to play wide or as a 10. To be honest I don't think he'd have done any less than Stockley as the 9 either. But having so many midfielders is getting to be a pain.

McGrandles will get 90 vs Coalville in the middle, that we can say for sure 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    PaddyP17 said:
    One thing I remember today, beyond all the madness, is that after Rak-Sakyi accidentally left a hand in on Sam Morsy's face for an innocuous foul (but a foul nonetheless) late in the second half after a tussle, he immediately apologised. Morsy rolled around to waste time, and Rak-Sakyi went in about 30 seconds later (while Morsy was still shithousing) to apologise again. It looked absolutely genuine. We've got a good bloke there, even if he is on loan for Palace. Hopefully he stays for the season.
    I thought that was when he trod on his foot accidentally 
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Off_it said:
    By the way, who else was up at Portman Road that time we drew 4-4 there? I'm sure the scoring went the same way then too ...... 0-2 down, back to 2-2, 2-4 down and then 4-4 right at the death. I'm sure we got a late penalty - Tommy Caton?

Or have I imagined all that?
    That was 88 or 89. I was there, standing behind the goal. Yes recall the late pen from Tommy Caton
    December 1990
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Hey @Simonsen ,

@Chippycafc was right. It WAS better than Tuesday :-) 
    2nd half was. At least, the bit I saw was. 1st half was a non-event. 
    Thats the beauty of the game mate and opinions. Thought the cards were stacked against us and we did well to over come them all game.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I was saying to my brother that we need Aneke and CBT on at half time but we had to wait for reasons we all know about. In terms of CBT, I assume he could have played a half but we had to make the sub at the same time as Aneke due to swaps for injuries earlier. If you have one of CBT and JRS, opposing defences can double up on them. When you have two they can't. Bring Aneke on too who is a handful and it transforms our attack.

We shouldn't forget, for all his faults, Stockley has always been a handful in the past and it is a challenge to Garner to make him one again. I am a great believer in when you see something from a player, they have it in their game and with Stockley, I have seen it over a period of time. I would like to see Stockley and Aneke play together. I think that would help Stockley a lot for different but similar reasons to why we need CBT and JRS playing together. It is pretty frustrating. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Major said:
    seth plum said:
    Scoham said:
    If you look hard enough at the video you can figure out their number 4 and just watch him for the whole sequence.
    It's almost the definition of Karma.

Much prefer you sniping at the opposition instead of our manager, as you did  when he showed his passion to the crowd,
    That snipe sucked.

It wasn’t a snipe it was downright criticism when I said Garner was behaving like a prick on the match thread. I was at the game and I know the referee was an arse, they all are to an extent.
    However our yellow and red card count last season was the worst in the division, and we are heading that way again, before yesterday Garner had already got sideline bookings, and the example/signal to the players yesterday was stupid, and felt like he was planting the seed of excuses for the score line. That led to the crowd going after the referee.
    Treat referees as if they have the vagaries of the weather, you aren’t going to change anything, unless in some kind of unofficial referee union they end up saying ‘Watch out for that Charlton, they’re a dirty team, and that Garner wants to undermine you all the time’.
    I notice not many are praising the referee for the time added on yesterday to compensate for the 5 minute and 44 seconds of goal celebrations* in extra time which helped our comeback.

*Got this from the Ipswich forum.
    Where as I agree with some of this, particularly the manager setting an example - though you could argue that his ‘passionate’ response set an example for the rest of the team to fight back - we actually are mid table in the fair play league:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/league-one/fairnesstabelle/wettbewerb/GB3

And the only reason we are as high is Inniss red cards. Our yellows are amongst the lowest in the league. 
    Fair point. There has been an improvement in cards so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Major said:
    seth plum said:
    Scoham said:
    If you look hard enough at the video you can figure out their number 4 and just watch him for the whole sequence.
    It's almost the definition of Karma.

Much prefer you sniping at the opposition instead of our manager, as you did  when he showed his passion to the crowd,
    That snipe sucked.

It wasn’t a snipe it was downright criticism when I said Garner was behaving like a prick on the match thread. I was at the game and I know the referee was an arse, they all are to an extent.
    However our yellow and red card count last season was the worst in the division, and we are heading that way again, before yesterday Garner had already got sideline bookings, and the example/signal to the players yesterday was stupid, and felt like he was planting the seed of excuses for the score line. That led to the crowd going after the referee.
    Treat referees as if they have the vagaries of the weather, you aren’t going to change anything, unless in some kind of unofficial referee union they end up saying ‘Watch out for that Charlton, they’re a dirty team, and that Garner wants to undermine you all the time’.
    I notice not many are praising the referee for the time added on yesterday to compensate for the 5 minute and 44 seconds of goal celebrations* in extra time which helped our comeback.

*Got this from the Ipswich forum.
    Where as I agree with some of this, particularly the manager setting an example - though you could argue that his ‘passionate’ response set an example for the rest of the team to fight back - we actually are mid table in the fair play league:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/league-one/fairnesstabelle/wettbewerb/GB3

And the only reason we are as high is Inniss red cards. Our yellows are amongst the lowest in the league. 
    Fair point. There has been an improvement in cards so far.
    To be honest I was shocked to see us on so little yellows, what with the combination of flakey refs and players like Claire and Innis who like to pick them up for fun. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Predicted 2-2.
    So wasn't far off, great effort and well deserved point.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Never leave early. 🤦
    Seem to recall a 4-4 at home to Norwich, I took my niece who said we should leave, I think we were 4-2 down.

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    One thing I remember today, beyond all the madness, is that after Rak-Sakyi accidentally left a hand in on Sam Morsy's face for an innocuous foul (but a foul nonetheless) late in the second half after a tussle, he immediately apologised. Morsy rolled around to waste time, and Rak-Sakyi went in about 30 seconds later (while Morsy was still shithousing) to apologise again. It looked absolutely genuine. We've got a good bloke there, even if he is on loan for Palace. Hopefully he stays for the season.
    Heard the challenge from the upper north. 😂👍😂
  • Options
    If only Aneke could lose a stone in weight he’ll be ok for 90 minutes. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leuth said:
    I know he hadn't been particularly great in the game apart from scoring our 2nd, but Morgan is getting some very low marks considering he had to deliver not one but two perfect balls to dig us out of that one, and did 

Agree Leuth. 
    To be given a 4 on the Players marks when he was in the right place to score in the box for the rebound and then for the assist shows that many mark Albie Morgan on past games and not this one. Also Thomas and Lavelle had the hardest game to come back into when you are not match fit.

As I said in early August we will finish mid table because our two game changers won't play enough minutes or games.
    If CBT or Aneke could stay fitter for longer they would be Championship players.

CBT, Aneke, Dobson, and Fraser are the guys we need to play every week; unfortunately that can't happen for Corey and Chuks so Mid table R'us.
  • Options
    Still coming to terms with yesterday. I had totally forgot about the halftime stacking Icelandic fella. The match was not quite up there with the Udders classic but like that one very unlikely to be repeated. I feel fortunate to have witnessed it.