Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL Considering end to the 3pm Blackout

Apologies its from the Daily Mail but worth a discussion...

Especially with rights potentially going to the likes of Facebook | Netflix | Google | Amazon | Apple

Wonder if it'll see any changes with iFollow

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11304587/EFL-consider-ending-3pm-Saturday-blackout-making-game-available-broadcast-2024-25.html

Comments

• Options
    Great news of those of us who cannot get to many games
  • Options
    Sounds like they would be exclusive rights, so the clubs wouldn't be able to sell games themselves. Depends how much the EFL can sell these for as to whether it will help clubs.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Its all part of a complex plot by the EFL to take top spot in UK football from the premier league.  Allow uk and worldwide streaming of all games with clubs keeping the income minus a small fee.  Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal will be falling over themselves to get relegated so they can keep all the TV money they would generate as a result.  They'll probably want to drop all the way to League 2 as their games are hardly ever on Sky.  No need for a European super league either.
  • Options
    Sounds like they would be exclusive rights, so the clubs wouldn't be able to sell games themselves. Depends how much the EFL can sell these for as to whether it will help clubs.
    "Helping clubs" will be way down any list of EFL's considerations, if any such list ever exists.  No such list will actually be debated.
    EFL's single criterion will be: immediate cash payment to EFL.
    They haven't cared about anything else for a decade at least and have demonstrated no capability to think about anything else for nearly as long.
    The 72 are in the hands of a witless whore, which will do absolutely anything, no matter how demeaning, if it thinks the payment is high enough.
    Everything else is window dressing that fools nobody.
  • Options
    The possibility of televised 3pm Saturday games would put an end to any chance of own club coverage of games. Even games not being televised, as commercial companies demand exclusivity. They do not want rival alternatives to their games and so reduce the possible customer numbers.
    Let's hope if the EFL go this way they get a far better deal than they did last time.  EFL football should worth at least a billion pounds over a 4-year contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope the idea is to simply stream every EFL game live whenever and wherever it is played. 

Bit like it is now if you live in Canada (as I do when can't get to a game).

Come on - it's 2022!
  • Options
    Sandgaard is a the man to change it all.
  • Options
    I hope the idea is to simply stream every EFL game live whenever and wherever it is played. 

Bit like it is now if you live in Canada (as I do when can't get to a game).

Come on - it's 2022!
    But at what cost to the club and those who like to go games for atmosphere?
    Also what will commentary/analysis be like. Certainly be a big downgrade from Charlton TV I would imagine.
  • Options
    lets be honest away numbers wont dip too much - people go to away games as they love a beer with mates, ticking grounds off, a better atmosphere etc its certainly not for the quality of the football. 
    Of course numbers will dip .
    Done 5 away games this season.
    Including Sheffield,Barnsley and  Bolton.
    Am I really gonna be bothering going up there £100+ when I can watch it for a fraction of the cost?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    "Helping clubs" will be way down any list of EFL's considerations, if any such list ever exists.  No such list will actually be debated.
    EFL's single criterion will be: immediate cash payment to EFL.
    They haven't cared about anything else for a decade at least and have demonstrated no capability to think about anything else for nearly as long.
    The 72 are in the hands of a witless whore, which will do absolutely anything, no matter how demeaning, if it thinks the payment is high enough.
    Everything else is window dressing that fools nobody.
    Who would you say comprises the EFL? 
  • Options
    Terrible idea 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    lets be honest away numbers wont dip too much - people go to away games as they love a beer with mates, ticking grounds off, a better atmosphere etc its certainly not for the quality of the football. 
    Am I really gonna be bothering going up there £100+ when I can watch it for a fraction of the cost?
    You can watch them now anyway with a dodgy tv box or a VPN.

I don't personally think it'll affect attendances a huge deal as the vast majority of fans will still prefer to see games live and go to matches.

It's also pretty stupid that a fan abroad can watch the game live on tv, but a Charlton fan living up north and can't get to the Valley cannot.
  • Options
    The review of allowing Saturday 3pm games to be televised is not about allowing every club to do so. But as I understand, it is about selling the wrights to televise games to the commercial sector. The Amazons BT's  Sky etc . They would want exclusive wrights not have to compete with every game being played.
  • Options
    It’s happening now, I have an IPTV app and can watch any EFL game that I want, Saturday and midweek. I know it’s illegal but thousands have them and the number is growing.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    With most of my lot the 90 minutes of watching us play just ruins valuable drinking time 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    The fact that you've been to these games when you can watch it legally with a VPN sort of disproves your argument I think!
  • Options
    It’s happening now, I have an IPTV app and can watch any EFL game that I want, Saturday and midweek. I know it’s illegal but thousands have them and the number is growing.

Whenever i go i find a dodgy link to a stream, the image quality is good but it freezes after about a 30 seconds. Same with the other links to our streams. Prem streams don't seem to freeze at all.  I assume the freeze thing doesn't happen with those iptv boxes even if they probably do come from the same place as my dodgy links.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    The fact that you've been to these games when you can watch it legally with a VPN sort of disproves your argument I think!
    Couple of things Steve are these streams as good as the club/Efl would do.
    Also I would of been to and would be going to a few more aways if the trains were better this season.
    Had a train ticket for Lincoln along with 5 mates after the trouble we had with the bolton trains we decided to blow Lincoln out.
    Would of also gone to Fleetwood if the trains hadnt been a problem, I've also decided to give Morecambe a miss in December due to the games.
    And if I'd also known Bolton was going to be a ball ache I'd of blown that out.
    When the Efl/club decides to do away with the 3pm blackout I'm in no doubt I'd do less away games.
  • Options
    Bad idea IMHO 🤨
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    This will be the end of football as we know it - the vpn thing is already killing it and if this is the answer then we are fucked - a bit like the nations league as a remedy for the lack of interest in World Cup qualifiers - create another tournament nobodies interested in watching rather than solve the initial problem and demote the crap teams to their own tournament - this appears to be the efl trying to get paid for games that are currently being screened illegally - that  is not the solution - the solution is to stop the streams getting out there - nobody could watch the games if they aren’t filmed - it’s that simple - anything that promotes armchair fanism and dissuades  fans attending the live match will end up killing the game as we know and love it - it’s helping kill charlton right now, amongst other things 
  • Options

Whenever i go i find a dodgy link to a stream, the image quality is good but it freezes after about a 30 seconds. Same with the other links to our streams. Prem streams don't seem to freeze at all.  I assume the freeze thing doesn't happen with those iptv boxes even if they probably do come from the same place as my dodgy links.
    No freezing at all with IPTV, we sometimes forget we are using the app and watch BBC, ITV etc as if watching normal TV. All in stunning Ultra HD as well.
  • Options
    Personally, as someone who watches via Charlton TV (if that's what it's still called) when I can, this sounds like a bad idea, poorly thought out. Numbers through the turnstiles will go down, which is not good for the game in my humble opinion. You really cannot beat the feeling of actually being there, but the convenience of watching in your own living room with a decent drink will be hard to resist for many.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    The corollary of the EFL abolishing the 3pm blackout is that it helps clear the way for the biggest clubs to eventually start selling their own streams, which is what is attracting so many American investors to the Premier League. Why do you think Todd Boehly and his mates shelled out £4.25 billion for Chelsea earlier this year - it’s all about the potential to dramatically increase broadcasting income. 

As Kieran Maguire said, we football supporters see the game through an emotional lens; these people see it purely through a financial one. Just wait until American owners take control of 14 clubs in the Premier League (I think they’re up to 10 at present).

Once the 3pm blackout goes and domestic streaming is legitimised, it is bound to lead to smaller attendances at EFL games, as it increases and solidifies the growing number of armchair fans, including many of the next generation. You only have to look at midweek EFL attendances when Champions League games are on TV. The smaller number of away fans will also have an adverse impact on the atmosphere at games.

It’s a complex issue, given the availability of VPNs and streams already, but it will ultimately cannibalise attendances to a greater of lesser degree and increase the already yawning gap between the have and have-nots. 

I also have zero faith in the EFL to get a decent deal. They are also more than happy to bend over on a regular basis to accommodate the Premier League and I see this as yet another example.
  • Options

No freezing at all with IPTV, we sometimes forget we are using the app and watch BBC, ITV etc as if watching normal TV. All in stunning Ultra HD as well.
    Just out of interest, i have a firestick but never set up as need to move out... I just wondered when you are streaming the games, is there much of a delay? 

I know when watching Amazon/ BT , you can normally see the goals go in earlier on the betting apps. Is it going to be similar or more like sky where its not much between? 

Also another example when it was the Euros we were watching England and would be ahead of the pub literally opposite for goals, just think it could be an anticlimax if you are watching a game and hear cheers across the road or wherever. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    This will be the end of football as we know it - the vpn thing is already killing it and if this is the answer then we are fucked - a bit like the nations league as a remedy for the lack of interest in World Cup qualifiers - create another tournament nobodies interested in watching rather than solve the initial problem and demote the crap teams to their own tournament - this appears to be the efl trying to get paid for games that are currently being screened illegally - that  is not the solution - the solution is to stop the streams getting out there - nobody could watch the games if they aren’t filmed - it’s that simple - anything that promotes armchair fanism and dissuades  fans attending the live match will end up killing the game as we know and love it - it’s helping kill charlton right now, amongst other things 
    Isn't that the point of the Nations league? The crap teams do play in their own tournament (kind of), they play in Group D against similar crap teams.

As for armchair fans helping to kill Charlton, i don't agree. What's helping to kill Charlton was stupid ticket prices and us being poor on the pitch. If we were top 2 with fair prices, i'm sure the attendances would be there. Yes of course you will get some fans who think sod this it's cold/raining i can't be arsed to go, but i still believe the majority of fans who want to go and watch games live will do so, and the fact it's on tv won't deter them.