Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 11th October 2022 | Match Preview

Comments

• cazo said:
    See lavelle at golf on Saturday out injured 
    Thomas to replace Inniss then.
  • If Aneke is capable of even basic mobility he should be on the bench. 
  • Charlton 0 - 4 Exeter
  • Both a winnable game and a loseable one and oh yes a drawable one too. 
  • se9addick said:
    mendonca said:
    cazo said:
    See lavelle at golf on Saturday out injured 
    What does that mean?
    Both Cazo and Lavelle were at the same golf course on Saturday and Cazo perceived that Lavelle has an injury that will keep him out of Tuesdays match. 

Don’t you speak Sarf Landan?
    That’s a very low blow from someone with north of the border roots 😉
  • Mind them splinters Mutts 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 win. Chuks to slot one in on 91st minute. Super sub came on 80th minute.

You may call me desperate, bur it is the only hope I have left.
  • Quite looking forward to this one as I always enjoy matches under the light at The Valley. Also because I have no idea which way this will go - either a superb performance or an almost comical defeat. Probably be 1-1. 
  • Think I’ll save myself the tenner and put it on a 1-1 draw. 
  • Tiny crowd, given the run around by a small team with a fifth of our resources, toxic atmosphere rising above the apathy. Can't wait. 
  • Huge game. Go a goal down & the atmosphere will turn toxic very quickly 
  • Can’t see us winning against the mighty Exeter or Portsmouth. in deep trouble now.heading for division 4 least we got players in with the experience in that division. 
    Sad days lowest we’ve ever been the business man needs to be told you can’t make money in football. 
    Needed to invest the pope money in the team 
    we got promoted by selling one player for a million pound and buying a complete team under Powell was it 13 players we brought in. 

• 3-1 Exeter
  • edited October 2022
    I don't think we will go down unless there is a fire sale in January which can't be ruled out. I don't think we can rule out a push upwards but Garner is going to have to squeeze every goal out of his squad that he can and tighten up the defence. Whilst we got a clean sheet on Saturday, why did their player who forced a great save from Wollacott, have so much room? We shouldn't get too optimistic about our defence yet.
  • At long last a win , hopefully 2-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think we will go down unless there is a fire sale in January which can't be ruled out. I don't think we can rule out a push upwards but Garner is going to have to squeeze every goal out of his squad that he can and tighten up the defence. Whilst we got a clean sheet on Saturday, why did their player who forced a great save from Wollacott, have so much room? We shouldn't get too optimistic about our defence yet.
    ‘Siri, show me ball watching.’
  • JamesSeed said:
    I don't think we will go down unless there is a fire sale in January which can't be ruled out. I don't think we can rule out a push upwards but Garner is going to have to squeeze every goal out of his squad that he can and tighten up the defence. Whilst we got a clean sheet on Saturday, why did their player who forced a great save from Wollacott, have so much room? We shouldn't get too optimistic about our defence yet.
    ‘Siri, show me ball watching.’
    Too much of that this season. You would expect it to improve the more games the defence plays together.
  • edited October 2022

Didn't even watch the highlights from Saturday but don't buy into "the players are rubbish" argument. 

However, we do seem to be getting worse every week. We have clearly abandoned the passing from the back/ possession/ pressing  plan and while it might not have worked very well, it leaves us with no plan at all and looking entirely clueless. 

That 4-2-4 set up still produces zero attacking threat but leaves us very vulnerable to being steam- rollered. Of the front six players, only Dobson has a tackle in him. 

I would select our best player after Dobson (Clare) at right mid and only choose one of Raki-Saki/Kirk/CBT and give them a free role to cause problems on either wing. That would be much more solid/balanced and we can't create fewer goals than the current set up offers.  Also liberates Fraser to be more creative and get forward more. 

Heads are dropping all over the club and a win is sorely needed. 

1-1

(of course) 

• I believe we set out to play Garner ball all summer. When we do we look good except defensively and in goalscoring. 

Having Egbo and Sessegnon back has helped the defensive side. 

The big issue is Jayden - still not scoring or even looking likely when played in a 2. We desperately need Aneke to deliver and that's a problem.

So up til now I am adamant that the players have been the bigger issue, but that's because the owner is the biggest issue.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I believe we set out to play Garner ball all summer. When we do we look good except defensively and in goalscoring. 

Having Egbo and Sessegnon back has helped the defensive side. 

The big issue is Jayden - still not scoring or even looking likely when played in a 2. We desperately need Aneke to deliver and that's a problem.

So up til now I am adamant that the players have been the bigger issue, but that's because the owner is the biggest issue.
    If we go back to the 4-3-3 (I think we will unless we start winning soon) then I would like to see Garner-ball again but with Leaburn up front instead of Stockley. We only got to see it once against FGR but I think it’s worth another go. Leaburn on the pitch gives us threat in behind and we are also much better pressing from the front. I think he could grow into the perfect striker for the system so playing him a lot this year could be very beneficial for future seasons if Garner is still here (and Leaburn is still here…)

Would probably give 4-4-2 a few more games first, as Stockley has looked a bit better in the last game and a half that we’ve played it 
  • Leaburn is not ready to play on his own up front. He may be soon, but he isn't yet.

• That 4-2-4 set up still produces zero attacking threat but leaves us very vulnerable to being steam- rollered. Of the front six players, only Dobson has a tackle in him. 

I would select our best player after Dobson (Clare) at right mid and only choose one of Raki-Saki/Kirk/CBT and give them a free role to cause problems on either wing. That would be much more solid/balanced and we can't create fewer goals than the current set up offers.  Also liberates Fraser to be more creative and get forward more. 

Heads are dropping all over the club and a win is sorely needed. 

1-1

(of course) 

Rak-Sakyi has to play on the left, on the right his total lack of a usable right foot means he gets easily shepherded by even moderate fullbacks, on the right he has no option.
    Our one recent open play goal came from a Kirk left foot cross from the left wing which Stockers put away with ease.
    It can be a simple game.  With this division 3.5 rabble of journeymen, kids, crocks and lightweights the game has to be kept simple.  Garnerball has proved that categorically.
    Thomas probably comes in for Iceman Inniss, hopefully from the start, if not he'll be on by halftime at the latest.
    Much (misplaced) expectation will be stimulated by the appearance of A&Eke on the subs bench.
    Here's hoping Charlton are still vaguely* in the game with 15 minutes to go so Crocks can be risked for his cameo.

*vaguely in the game = not more than 1 goal behind.

Being behind in the game at halftime will precipitate the covered end's chorus of "sacked in the morning"
    Conceding a 2nd in the first half will bring that earlier.

Garner only buys himself more time with the crowd if he engineers a win
    How much time Skintgaard grants him might be influenced by whether TS's bad mood overcomes his reluctance to toss good money after bad.

If the likes of Adrian Mariappa are available, why aren't they coming to the Valley?  Scouting or martinet meanness?
  • 2 months ago I never imagined that we would go into a home game against Exeter, a newly promoted side, genuinely fearful. Yes they are a well run club, but it shows how dismal we've been recently that they will be coming to The Valley as slight favourites. Any team that can win 2-0 at Barnsley will give us a tough game.

My only crumbs of comfort are that we stuffed Plymouth, so maybe we are good against teams from Devon, and that it's Stockley against the team where he made his name, so maybe "the rule of the ex" will apply. 

Lose tomorrow, and I see things turning ugly. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!