Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Landline Phone

As the landline is to be off in 2025 although it will still be used in digital.How many people still use a Landline phone.People without a Modem will
 have to get one to use a phone.Also if there is a powercut the phone will be unuseable.

Comments

• Derek1952 said:
    As the landline is to be off in 2025 although it will still be used in digital.How many people still use a Landline phone.People without a Modem will
     have to get one to use a phone.Also if there is a powercut the phone will be unuseable.
    👍🏻
  • I couldn't even tell you my home telephone number. Have only lived there about 10 years. My in laws and parents still use one.
  • edited October 2022
    We've got one, never use it to make calls and only rarely receive calls that aren't some sort of attempted scam. 
  • I couldn't even tell you my home telephone number. Have only lived there about 10 years. My in laws and parents still use one.
    Same for me. Have a line but no phone attached to it. I’d have to lookup from paperwork what the number is. 
  • Need a landline as mobile coverage is rubbish where I live.
  • I still use a landline
  • We still have one as my wife doesn’t want to scrub it but I don’t even know the number. We almost never make or receive calls on it. 
  • Lived away from parents since 1999, never had a land line telephone. 
  • edited October 2022
    Have a landline in as much as it's included in our broadband package. Haven't had a phone plugged into it for donkey's years though. Absolutely no point.
  • Stig said:
    Have a landlines in as much as it's included in our broadband package. Haven't had a phone plugged into it for donkey's years though. Absolutely no point.
    Exactly the same here. No idea what the number is either.
  • Sponsored links:

• I haven't used a landline phone for 25 years other than to receive my broadband. We got rid of the phone back in late 90's because all we ever got were spam nuisance calls.

If anyone wants to call us it's on our mobiles. 
  • We ignore all landline calls, they are all either scams or cold calls. (Answerphone monitors all calls) 
  • red10 said:
    Need a landline as mobile coverage is rubbish where I live.
    Same here. Mobile signal unreliable.

Fed up going down to the bottom of the garden in the pissing rain to send a text.
    For calls, at least I've been able to depend on the landline.

• Stig said:
    Have a landlines in as much as it's included in our broadband package. Haven't had a phone plugged into it for donkey's years though. Absolutely no point.
    Same for us, can’t remember the last time I used a landline. Despite us pleading with my mum to have a mobile, she still refuses. My sister even sorted one out for her a few years ago but she never had it turned on.
  • Stig said:
    Same for us, can’t remember the last time I used a landline. Despite us pleading with my mum to have a mobile, she still refuses. My sister even sorted one out for her a few years ago but she never had it turned on.
    It took years to persuade my mother in law to get rid of her landline despite her having a mobile. Had to go through all the figures explaining what she was wasting on line rental. Surprising for someone so frugal how she couldn't see what a rip off it was.
  • We live in a rural area on the edge of a small village aand were forced to have a digital voice phone some months ago despite having no mobile reception. I expressed my concern at the time regarding power cuts and the consensus seemed to be power cuts hardly ever happen and I was making a fuss about nothing.  During the storm in February we had a huge tree come down on the track outside our house  which meant we were completely isolated and  confined to the house and and had no power for 3 days.  People the other side of the village were without power for 10 days. Following the storm BT did an about face and stopped the roll out for those in rural areas.
  • I've tried to get rid of my landline but every time I go to virgin when renegotiating my contract they always tell me it is cheaper if I keep it. Bizarre. 
  • Only time I ever use it is to call my mobile when I’ve misplaced it…….which, I have to say, is a godsend.
  • We ignore all landline calls, they are all either scams or cold calls. (Answerphone monitors all calls) 
    Just turn the bell off.
  • red10 said:
    Need a landline as mobile coverage is rubbish where I live.
    Same for us.
  • Sponsored links:

If you want to know, from your landline dial 1471 then your mobile number and it will come up on your mobile's caller id.

I still have a landline mainly because the package I am on includes international calls which we need to call far-flung relatives.
  • Long gone for us, when the only people who rang it where sales calls, its days where numbered.
  • I'm going full fibre in 2 weeks time.  I'll keep the landline number as it has been with me for 40 years, but it'll be plugged into the router and work VOIP - the copper wires will become redundant.  I realise this means all eggs in one basket, but I have the mobile phone which I'll mostly use as first choice.

There are calling plans for the landline number - £5 evenings and weekends, £10 anytime and £15 gets you an international option.  Without a calling plan calls are charged at 22P per minute - which is why I'll use the mobile. 
  • Still have have a landline mainly scammers and unwanted callers @Redmidland. Broadband going to bt in November so I’ll dump it then. 
  • We've still got one, but when we moved in December last year the only option from BT (who had to install a new line) was a VoIP landline.

We kept it as no extra cost, only one person rings it, that's my father in law, I couldn't even tell you the number without looking it up. 

Probably could get rid of it, especially as you can speak over the internet via wifi with mobiles anyway when at home.
  • I've been doing a job for the local council, doorstepping people to collect details for the electoral register. Dozens of people have given me their mobile numbers, I'm yet to collect a landline number.
  • Yep still have one as i am on call, plus the line as often better when chatting rather than mobile to mobile.
  • I have had the same landline number for ever it seems.
    I got a call from an old colleague I hadn’t heard from in years who still had my number from the days before mobile telephones.
  • Not had one for years. Remember all my mates landline numbers from the 80s but none of their mobile numbers