Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grammar Police etc... HQ - Pedants get you're fill hear.

124»

Comments

• Options
    As one of the great unwashed who attended a Secondary Modern school in the 60s I look in on this thread with envy. 

We did a bit of English, a bit of Maths and lots of Physical Exercise. At the end of our final term we went to the careers office and were offered jobs in the Army or the Royal Navy. (The RAF was reserved for high(er) achievers).   

Anyway, we covered the basics - full stops, commas, capital letters etc, but we were allowed nowhere near prepositions, conjunctions, interjections and pronouns.  I subsequently bought Craig Shrives book 'Grammar Rules', but I'm afraid it has had little affect on me ... or should that be effect?  Oh hold on, Craig says in order to understand which one to use, you must know the difference between a noun and a verb, so it's back to the drawing board for me.  :/  
    Thank goodness you said this, I thought I were the only one who was brought up under this illiterate form of an educational system, there was no thought given to the written rules, they were just pleased if you could undertake joined up writing that was semi legible and read the alphabet.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The apostrophe's wanton and idiotic misuse is truly dispiriting.
    It ain't difficult really.
    On the end of a noun it indicates possession.  Billy's blood pressure is elevated by the apostrophe's misuse.
    In the middle of an abbreviation such as ain't, it indicates missing letters.
    It has no place in plurals, plural's plural is plurals.
    If it's really baffling you, its omission is probably your best bet.

He's going on about his pet peeve, a lot.

Pronouns: he, she, it, they
    Possessive pronouns: mine, yours, his, hers, its, theirs.
    I agree but it gets a bit tougher when a person’s name ends in S. 

I like Jess’s car.
    I like Jess’ car.

I'm more interested in Jess than her car.
    Postman Pat  Jess the Cat by FoxTown2002 on DeviantArt
  • Options
    Why do some people say Anne Diamond when it should be a diamond?
    Before you know it they’ll be saying an hotel.
    An hotel is an interesting one and worth a little more explanation. The "a" or "an" rule depends upon whether the following word starts with a vowel or a consonant.  But NOT what they are but how they sound. So, of course, as you point out, it should be a hotel because you pronounce the "h". However for other words that is not the case. For example, an hour, an honourable man, etc.

But here's the rub. The Guardian and The Telegraph style guides together with the Oxford English Dictionary go along with this concept. While The Times style guide is still sticking with an hotel!
  • Options
    Grammar only exists because printing was invented and lack of order in language was anathema to the self important Latin and Greek scholars of the day.

And the rules of grammar, like not starting a sentence with “And”, were inventions of those scholars; the first self appointed grammar police.

Knowledge of the rules defined your superior status and set you apart from the uneducated unwashed majority.

If printing and books were developed by Geordies we might be following the Steve Bruce oral style who thought “we’re team played well today and you’s can see it on MOTD later”
    Absolutely.  One does like having an easy way with which to point out one's superiority.

By the way, you missed out the hyphen in self-important and self-appointed.
    I bow to your superiority. I also put a redundant apostrophe in "yous" that you should have picked up.

On an entirely different point, I have always struggled with "lie" and "lay".  Only recently did the penny drop that laying is doing it to something like lay a pen on the table but lie i what you do to yourself when you lie down.  Just in case it helps similar peasants who struggled with this bit of grammar.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    scidbox said:
    Not grammar but pronunciation. All I hear on radio, podcasts and TV is:
    Twenny. Twenny minutes, twenny grand, twenny dead people.
    I'm no pedant, but it's become so ubiquitous that twenty is seriously being lost. 
    Secretary was replaced years ago by secetary. 
    This. Is. A. Disgrace. 
    I'll see your twenny and your secetary and raise you a Haitch

Makes my hackles rise, my teeth itch and my stomach turn!  The letter H is spelled aitch and pronounced AYCH.  There bain't be no huh at the start of H. B'int right an it b'int proper I tells ye.
  • Options
    I struggle with bear, bare and bair.
  • Options
    I despair with nuculear when I hear people say it. Surely to dog it's nuclear as in new clear.

• Options
    In Nz ‘beer’ and ‘bear’ are indistinguishable when spoken . So should a Kiwi visiting Canada say “ oh my god , there’s half a dozen beers chilling in the river just around the bend” you might want to ask him to be more specific
  • Options
    I despair with nuculear when I hear people say it. Surely to dog it's nuclear as in new clear.

Guilty as charged

guilt (n.)

Old English gylt "crime, sin, moral defect, failure of duty," of unknown origin, though some suspect a connection to Old English gieldan "to pay for, debt," but OED editors find this "inadmissible phonologically." The -u- is an unetymological insertion. In law, "That state of a moral agent which results from his commission of a crime or an offense wilfully or by consent" [Century Dictionary], from early 14c. Then use for "sense of guilt," considered erroneous by purists, is first recorded 1680s. Guilt by association recorded by 1919

guilt (v.)

"to influence someone by appealing to his sense of guiltiness," by 1995, from guilt (n.). Related: Guilted; guilting. Old English had also a verbal form, gyltan (Middle English gilt), but it was intransitive and meant "to commit an offense, act criminally."

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't know if it's just a typo but taken from the BBC sport website talking about the England game.

Surely he means 'of' or is talking about the dark arts of shirt pulling? 
  • Options
    I get irritated by the people who don’t know the difference between HIS & HE’S 🤦🏻‍♀️
    He's = he is.
    His = belonging to him.

He's having a bit of a mare today = He is having a bit of a mare today.
    The car belongs to John. It is his car.

See John run.  He's late for work and his car's broken down.
    The he’s/his thing is just predictive text screwing up isn’t it? No one could mix those two up, surely. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    JamesSeed said:
    scidbox said:
    I'm no pedant, but it's become so ubiquitous that twenty is seriously being lost. 
    This. Is. A. Disgrace. 

Makes my hackles rise, my teeth itch and my stomach turn!  The letter H is spelled aitch and pronounced AYCH.  There bain't be no huh at the start of H. B'int right an it b'int proper I tells ye.
    Check Nick Abbott’s latest podcast. Hilarious attempt to get an old dear to say aitch rather that haitch. It’s on the Global Player App. 
  • Options
    Grammar only exists because printing was invented and lack of order in language was anathema to the self important Latin and Greek scholars of the day.

And the rules of grammar, like not starting a sentence with “And”, were inventions of those scholars; the first self appointed grammar police.

Knowledge of the rules defined your superior status and set you apart from the uneducated unwashed majority.

If printing and books were developed by Geordies we might be following the Steve Bruce oral style who thought “we’re team played well today and you’s can see it on MOTD later”
    Absolutely.  One does like having an easy way with which to point out one's superiority.

By the way, you missed out the hyphen in self-important and self-appointed.
    I bow to your superiority. I also put a redundant apostrophe in "yous" that you should have picked up.

On an entirely different point, I have always struggled with "lie" and "lay".  Only recently did the penny drop that laying is doing it to something like lay a pen on the table but lie i what you do to yourself when you lie down.  Just in case it helps similar peasants who struggled with this bit of grammar.
    That's reported speech so I thought you'd typed the extraneous apostrophe that Bruce spoke.
  • Options
    Mary had a little lamb.
    She also had a bear.
    I've often seen her little lamb
    But I've never seen her bare.
  • Options
    Not sure whether to post this here or on "Jokes" but I decide here.

May be an image of text that says Someone posted they had just baked some synonym buns I replied you mean just like the ones grammar use to make Now Im blocked
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    JamesSeed said:
    scidbox said:
    This. Is. A. Disgrace. 

That's just a dialect issue. In your dialect it's spelled aitch, but in some dialects it's spelled/pronounced haitch.