Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grammar Police etc... HQ - Pedants get you're fill hear.

Comments

• Options
    I would like to apologise for many of my posts, as I didn’t get an education, as I went to Welling School (Elsa Rd) in the 70’s.
  • Options
    Etymology is okay too. For example i looked up the origins of Wolverhampton, thinking is it really to do with wolves? Spoiler alert...it's not.

The city is named after Wulfrun, who founded the town in 985, from the Anglo-Saxon Wulfrūnehēantūn ("Wulfrūn's high or principal enclosure or farm").[5][6][7] Before the Norman Conquest, the area's name appears only as variants of Heantune or Hamtun, the prefix Wulfrun or similar appearing in 1070 and thereafter.[6] Alternatively, the city may have earned its original name from Wulfereēantūn ("Wulfhere's high or principal enclosure or farm") after the Mercian King,[8] who according to tradition established an abbey in 659, though no evidence of an abbey has been found.[9] The variation Wolveren Hampton is seen in medieval records, e.g. in 1381.[10]
      Wulfrun and Wulfric are Saxon first names meaning wolf speed and wolf rich respectively.  So the etymological history is that Wolverhampton's naming is to do with wolves, if not an immediate direct relationship.

And as for Oxford Commas.  Use them if you drink coffee, and tea.  Not if your Coffey wastes time on grammar, billions on fraudulent social security payments, and then leaves for the NHS CO Grammar role.
  • Options
    One is a coprological disorder, and the other is a purely scatological pursuit?
  • Options
    Aminosity and pernament are two gems. Shoehorn those into your chat in Dartford  next time and you'll be accepted as a local! (Sorry Dartford!) 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    One of the things that pisses me off about the Long Covid brain fog is that I'm so much more prone to typing homophones than I used to be. It's like my brain gets to the box labelled "words that sound like there", and just grabs the first one it sees, with no regard to  whether it's actually the right one. (Entertainingly, I'm also much more prone to typos, so initially I was "typing homophobes"). It's one reason I only tend to nitpick when it changes the meaning of the sentence that's actively misleading, or just quite funny
    Ali you could have just saved my self esteem there. I've noticed that I make loads more silly mistakes like that these days. I used to think it was old-age soppiness, or worse, setting in. Now I'm happy to blame covid.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    All the grammar police have formed themselves into a click.
    Waiting for the marquee signing, no doubt. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Oi! @sethplum. No! 

I said this is a safe space. No judging the judgers 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Waiting for the marquee signing, no doubt. 
    Excited Colin Robinson GIF by What We Do in the Shadows
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    One of the things that pisses me off about the Long Covid brain fog is that I'm so much more prone to typing homophones than I used to be. It's like my brain gets to the box labelled "words that sound like there", and just grabs the first one it sees, with no regard to  whether it's actually the right one. (Entertainingly, I'm also much more prone to typos, so initially I was "typing homophobes"). It's one reason I only tend to nitpick when it changes the meaning of the sentence that's actively misleading, or just quite funny
    Now that’s interesting, I’m suspected of suffering from long Covid mostly extreme fatigue, my written and spoken English have never been great, but it’s certainly deteriorated since I got over Covid and might have developed long covid, I put it down to being nearly 70, but I might kave got another excuse.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    seth plum said:
    Surely you mean, clique?

Typical, where's the grammar police when you need them, nowhere to be seen!!!!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Surely you mean, clique?

Nowhere not no where 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    seth plum said:
    Surely you mean, clique?

Nowhere not no where 
    Corrected before you posted matey, so there!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    seth plum said:
    Surely you mean, clique?

Nowhere not no where 
    Corrected before you posted matey, so there!
    Sothere not so there 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Surely you mean, clique?

Would you mind being more pacific?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    ‘All the grammar police’ doesn’t pass the grammar test. 
  • Options
    Dyslexia Rules ko.

How on nature's parched earth can we take seriously the opprobrium: Your a wanker, when as any pedant knows ? You're a wanker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Your and you’re……possibly the most common mistake.
    Yeah.  And using too many dots on an ellipsis. 
  • Options
    Grammar only exists because printing was invented and lack of order in language was anathema to the self important Latin and Greek scholars of the day.

And the rules of grammar, like not starting a sentence with “And”, were inventions of those scholars; the first self appointed grammar police.

Knowledge of the rules defined your superior status and set you apart from the uneducated unwashed majority.

If printing and books were developed by Geordies we might be following the Steve Bruce oral style who thought “we’re team played well today and you’s can see it on MOTD later”
    I am sure you are correct. The written word is entirely different from the spoken one. My old job involved undertaking taped interviews. These usually had to be transcribed.  What this process revealed is that while most of us write in sentences, very few people speak that way. Instead phrases, single words, head movements and hand gestures blend to provide a full story. Something that was entirely understandable when viewed/listened to was often close to gibberish in the written form.

As a by-product the transcription process, while boring and onerous, provided some light-hearted moments. My favourite was the typed-up version of what someone said in interview - "He was held in higher steam".  (My second favourite - not a typo - was me saying "Excuse me but could you get your cat to stop hitting your Dobermann while it is lying across my lap?")
  • Options
    The problem with the spoken word is whether it’s intelligible or not.
    Ever hear Greg Stubley say the word ‘Charlton’?
    Makes Trevor Brooking sound like Laurence Olivier.
    Many people can make words all sound the same, like ‘fail’, ‘foul’, and ‘foal’.
    Quite amusing when you hear somebody say they ‘fouled’ their exams.
  • Options
    It's annoying but humorous as long as you aren't the one making a faux pas:

It's ok to be Self deprecating by taking the piss out of yourself BUT try not to say Self defecating just because Shit happens.
  • Options
    Attention to word order can matter :-
    Sky runs a banner headline saying - ...the Palace have released a new picture of the Queen after being buried yesterday.
  • Options

chess (n.)

very ancient game of skill with 32 pieces, played by two on a checkered board of 64 squares, 13c., from Old French esches "chessmen," plural of eschec "game of chess, chessboard; checkmate" (see check (n.1)), from the key move of the game. Modern French distinguishes échec "check, blow, rebuff, defeat," from plural échecs "chess."

The original word for "chess" is Sanskrit chaturanga "four members of an army" -- elephants, horses, chariots, foot soldiers. This is preserved in Spanish ajedrez, from Arabic (al) shat-ranj, from Persian chatrang, from the Sanskrit word.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/chess

Thought about the word after reading this article (hopefully not to sexy and salacious for the Mods) https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/300693618/world-chess-champion-magnus-carlsen-resigns-from-match-after-one-move 

• Options
    Attention to word order can matter :-
    Sky runs a banner headline saying - ...the Palace have released a new picture of the Queen after being buried yesterday.
    Typical Nigels ...

• Options

chess (n.)

very ancient game of skill with 32 pieces, played by two on a checkered board of 64 squares, 13c., from Old French esches "chessmen," plural of eschec "game of chess, chessboard; checkmate" (see check (n.1)), from the key move of the game. Modern French distinguishes échec "check, blow, rebuff, defeat," from plural échecs "chess."

The original word for "chess" is Sanskrit chaturanga "four members of an army" -- elephants, horses, chariots, foot soldiers. This is preserved in Spanish ajedrez, from Arabic (al) shat-ranj, from Persian chatrang, from the Sanskrit word.

Thought about the word after reading this article (hopefully not to sexy and salacious for the Mods) https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/300693618/world-chess-champion-magnus-carlsen-resigns-from-match-after-one-move 

to or too?
  • Options

chess (n.)

to or too?
    To sexy (v.) to perform sex or move body in a sexually provocative manner so as to cause arousal in other person " I to sexy you, long time"