Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National Anthem at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Stupid question but are we supposed to sing King or Queen tomorrow?
    I think deep down you know the answer to this.
    Seems im not the only one who was unsure. Didn't know if it was being sung as a tribute to the late Queen or a welcome to Charles 
    Is he gonna be there? Didn’t know he was a Forest Green fan.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    PaddyP17 said:
    I think it's now "king" but I do find it odd that this changes immediately, during mourning. I'd have thought GSTQ would make more sense as a farewell? But hey I dunno, I'm hardly a royal expert
    The Queen is dead, long live The King. The anthem is dedicated to the reigning Monarch - our anthem changed at 6.30pm on Thursday.
  • Options
    Maybe Thomas could do a Hendrix / May type cover.

I've already got my coat.
    Nothing less than TS with his axe on the roof of the Covered End will do for me...

(lol)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The football league v seria B thing when Curbs tapped up Danny Mills? 
    Great bit of business that by Curbs.
  • Options
    Wasn’t a great effort, we probably shouldn’t have sung it at the controversially quick pace that we sing Valley Floyd Road these days.
  • Options
    God saved our noble King 

And God made Charlton 

Draw at home to forest Green 

• Options
    been some England Women's international games played at the Valley.

In 1952 when the old King died Abide with Me was sung
    I was there for England v Croatia ladies/women. 

What about when Charlton played the People's Republic of China, were any anthems played then?

I can't remember tbh. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Wasn’t a great effort, we probably shouldn’t have sung it at the controversially quick pace that we sing Valley Floyd Road these days.
    Can the Covered End actually hear the tannoy, as it's not hard to sing along to a recording? The rest of the ground managed to finish at the right time!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Can the Covered End actually hear the tannoy, as it's not hard to sing along to a recording? The rest of the ground managed to finish at the right time!
    No different how the yoof of today sing Valey Floyd Road. Always too rushed 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Yeah that wasn’t the issue. The problem was lots went straight from the first “god save the King” to the “send him victorious” bit, there’s supposed to be a little pause in between. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Two blokes near me couldn't be arsed to stand, or put their phones down. One bloke actually spent the whole time just looking on betfair, barely looked at the pitch all match, could have saved himself £29 on a ticket and upped his stake.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Two blokes near me couldn't be arsed to stand, or put their phones down. One bloke actually spent the whole time just looking on betfair, barely looked at the pitch all match, could have saved himself £29 on a ticket and upped his stake.
    Sounds like he had the right idea
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I was on the lower north and it seemed to me that half of us didn’t even start singing the national anthem because there was no coordination as to what stage/words in the song we were supposed to be. I seemed to be getting the sound of unclear speakers and part of the upper north hitting my ear drums and none of the 3 sources were in sync, with the upper north finishing way ahead of the muffled music. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I was on the lower north and it seemed to me that half of us didn’t even start singing the national anthem because there was no coordination as to what stage/words in the song we were supposed to be. I seemed to be getting the sound of unclear speakers and part of the upper north hitting my ear drums and none of the 3 sources were in sync, with the upper north finishing way ahead of the muffled music. 
    In the Curbs stand you could hear a loud and clear (sung) recording of GSTK to sing along to
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Bloke sat in front of me in West Stand every match spends - I would say - 75% of the game on Bet365 !!!

I mean WTF 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    God saved our noble King 

And God made Charlton 

Draw at home to forest Green 

God save our team
  • Options
    I’ve hardly ever sang the national anthem but I tried it last night to get in the spirit of the acknowledgement of the passing of the queen. I almost got through the sing song without fault until the last bit when I said Queen. I was so so close. I’ll go back to not singing it at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The silence was pretty silent though.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve hardly ever sang the national anthem but I tried it last night to get in the spirit of the acknowledgement of the passing of the queen. I almost got through the sing song without fault until the last bit when I said Queen. I was so so close. I’ll go back to not singing it at all.
    I unfortunately threw in a "send her victorious" half way through...
  • Options
    Thought it was fine, people love a moan don't they.
  • Options
    Thought it was fine, people love a moan don't they.
    Wish you'd stop moaning about people moaning.
    That was a good one mate...
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I unfortunately threw in a "send her victorious" half way through...
    Better than chucking in a "no surrender" half way through. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Stupid question but are we supposed to sing King or Queen tomorrow?
    It’s always sung for the reigning monarch, so king. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Bloke sat in front of me in West Stand every match spends - I would say - 75% of the game on Bet365 !!!

I mean WTF 
    Are there in play odds on us giving a stupid goal away?
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

I mean WTF 
    Are there in play odds on us giving a stupid goal away?
    1/5 I’d reckon.