Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National Anthem at The Valley

On what other games / occasions has it been played before?

Didn't we host an England U21 / U18 game once?

Comments

• Options
    The football league v seria B thing when Curbs tapped up Danny Mills? 
  • Options
    I remember an England U21 game in the mid 90s where Lee Bowyer and Richard Rufus were in the side. 

Think we drew 0-0 with Georgia.
  • Options
    been some England Women's international games played at the Valley.

In 1952 when the old King died Abide with Me was sung
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I remember an England U21 game in the mid 90s where Lee Bowyer and Richard Rufus were in the side. 

Think we drew 0-0 with Georgia.
    Yep I recall, went to thar
  • Options
    Charlton v China 🇨🇳 early 80’s.
  • Options
    Good job we are not playing Spurs, rumour is Harry Kane is having trouble learning the new National Anthem 
  • Options
    will be a shame there will not be that many at it a packed valley under the lights belting it out would of been a fantastic site, 6/7000 and a couple of hundred fgr fans not so much, however im sure all there will do there part. 
  • Options
    The 2 home Anglo Itallian Cup ties in 1993
  • Options
    red card for all those who sing 'queen' and not 'king'
  • Options
    Whenever we've played Cardiff or Swansea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I'm sure I went to those games, but have no recollection of whether we sung the anthem. I DO remember going to the New Den for our game versus Millwall in that competition though, I'm not sure any anthems were sung before that game  ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Maybe Thomas could do a Hendrix / May type cover.

I've already got my coat.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Stupid question but are we supposed to sing King or Queen tomorrow?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I'm sure I went to those games, but have no recollection of whether we sung the anthem. I DO remember going to the New Den for our game versus Millwall in that competition though, I'm not sure any anthems were sung before that game  ;)
    https://youtu.be/7kmppTctce4
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I think deep down you know the answer to this.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    King. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    https://youtu.be/7kmppTctce4
    Why was Carlo late, he nearly missed the Italian anthem  :D
  • Options
    If anyone from the club reads this - then it might be helpful to explicitly state the anthem will be ‘God Save The King’, rather than have some awkward mish mash of the two which would inevitably happen otherwise.
  • Options
    I imagine to sing God save the King it may mean bringing somebody in to sing it.
  • Options
    On what other games / occasions has it been played before?

Didn't we host an England U21 / U18 game once?
    First home match after the Queen Mother died over Easter 2002 (possibly also Princess Margaret earlier the same year).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't remember, but presumably played before the Women's FA Cup Final at the Valley in 1999
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    do a 'scaffold' .. make it 'team'
  • Options
    When we played after the Queen mother died it was played.
    The sound was weird and I remarked on Glynn Jones mailing list it sounded like it was being played on a kazoo.
    Lo and behold in the next Saturday Guardian football snippet bit they wrote ‘one Charlton fan said it sounded like the National Anthem played on a kazoo’.
    Fame but no name.
  • Options
    I think it's now "king" but I do find it odd that this changes immediately, during mourning. I'd have thought GSTQ would make more sense as a farewell? But hey I dunno, I'm hardly a royal expert
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    PaddyP17 said:
    I think it's now "king" but I do find it odd that this changes immediately, during mourning. I'd have thought GSTQ would make more sense as a farewell? But hey I dunno, I'm hardly a royal expert
    I think the point is that it's a bit late asking God to "save" the outgoing monarch after they've already passed. So it transfers to the current monarch immediately.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I think deep down you know the answer to this.
    Seems im not the only one who was unsure. Didn't know if it was being sung as a tribute to the late Queen or a welcome to Charles 
  • Options
    Even if it's constitutionally correct, singing GSTK seems a bit inappropriate, as the purpose of the events, including the minute's silence and black armbands is to honour the previous monarch, not welcome in the new one.
  • Options
    At the U21 game at Dartford this afternoon, no tannoy thing at these games.
    Anyway the players walked out, all with armbands. They assembled around the centre circle.
    All who were there immediately stood up, quietly.
    The referee blew his whistle, the whole place was in impeccable silence, the referee then blew again after what I suppose was a minute.
    There were then a few claps.
    Then the referee and players got on with it.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    I think the point is that it's a bit late asking God to "save" the outgoing monarch after they've already passed. So it transfers to the current monarch immediately.
    I don't have so much of an issue with the "God save" line, but I think the "long live" line is the one that puts the kibosh on it. I reckon what we'll actually end up with is
    "God save our gracious Queeng
    Long live our noble Quing
    God save the Quing
    Send herm victorious
    Happy and glorious
    Long to reign over us
    God save the King"
    as more people gradually remember they should be singing the new words rather than the old ones.
  • Options
    it is god save the king from the start.