Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers | Match Preview | Tuesday 13 September 2022

edited September 2022 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers
Tuesday 13th September 2022
Kick-off - 19.45 - Live on Charlton TV

Referee: John Busby - previously officiated Charlton in our loss to Accrington Stanley in January 2021.

Introduction
It feels an eternity since we last played at The Valley, even longer since our last win in the league also - 24 and 28 days respectively, by the time we play on Tuesday. Our next opponents won League Two last season, in fact, they stumbled over the line after an incredible first half of the season. It means we play Forest Green Rovers for the first time in our league history.

Opposition
After promotion to League One, FGR lost their manager to Watford, but decisions were swiftly made and Ian Burchnall came in as his successor. A tough start to life in League One has followed but they picked up their first win in their previous game against Accrington Stanley since the opening game of the season. There always seems to be a link with Accrington somewhere, does my nut in and shows how we’ve fallen. Anyway, back to it!

I don’t know much about FGR other than they’re environmentally friendly, I want to tick them off my list of grounds, and it makes a change to play someone different. I’ve not bothered to do any research to expand my knowledge so I’ll go into this one with a fresh pair of eyes. I do know they lost two extremely key players during the summer and their top scorer is out injured. Always tough for a team where their best 3 players (or well known players) have left or are unavailable following promotion.

Charlton
The death of Her Royal Highness means the players got a few extra days to recover and work on the many aspects of performance that the defeat to Bolton evidently showed. Lots of talk about players being available and we can hope that Garner will have more players to choose from, making the squad stronger. I’ll be particularly interested in seeing if Inniss and Aneke are fit, we are a better team with them in it. However, another week’s worth of training could do them both the world of good. Be safe, not sorry.

Others to take into consideration would be Sessegnon and Egbo. Full backs in this system are important and Garner will be looking to have them back sooner rather than later. Terrell Thomas could make the squad following his signing last week.

Wollacott
Clare Lavelle O’Connnell Clayden
Fraser Dobson Payne
Raki-Sakyi Stockley Blackett-Taylor

MacGillivray, Thomas, McGrandles, Morgan, Kirk, Leaburn, Aneke

Charlton Athletic 3-0 Forest Green Rovers
Rak-Sakyi 
Fraser
Leaburn

Comments

• Options
    Sticking to onfield matters, it will be interesting what team we put out. If we had played last Saturday then I imagine there would have been a bit of squad rotation, especially with players coming back from injury.
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    Less than 7k in the Valley to witness a 2 .1 victory for the Addicks. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Definitely has the potential to be our lowest league attendance for years. Mid week, poorly supported away side, on Charlton TV, country in mourning, tickets over priced & due to piss down with rain.

Other than that, I reckon it will be quality & we’ll win 2-1. Big Chuks in the last minute.

• Options
    We really need a defender back at LB for me. It doesn't take much for coaches to spot weaknesses in a midfielder moving to full back with a few weeks/months training.
  • Options
    First home game of the season for me 
    3-1 win. 
  • Options
    I expect the game to be on, but I'm surprised there hasn't been an announcement yet.

3-1 win 
  • Options
    Yes, just checked on the Official website and no news as to whether the game is going ahead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1

A must win.
  • Options
    Definitely has the potential to be our lowest league attendance for years. Mid week, poorly supported away side, on Charlton TV, country in mourning, tickets over priced & due to piss down with rain.

Other than that, I reckon it will be quality & we’ll win 2-1. Big Chuks in the last minute.

Don't forget Greenwich Council and the London Mayor's ongoing war against private transport.
  • Options
    Game on
    Confirmed on OS and by RC
  • Options
    with the tickets at £30 a lot of my mates who would usually attend wont bother 
  • Options
    Forest Green Rovers.

Fucking hell.
    I thought we all knew how the English Football System worked by now?
  • Options
    Home win .. try Thomas at left back where Clayden is pretty ordinary and that is being VERY kind
    I'd like to see a 4 4 2 with Raki pulled back to right wing, Blackett-T on the left and Leaburn alongside Stockley .. this will not happen of course
    FGR have made a poor start to the season under a new manager and have lost a couple of the better players from last season

I was thinking of coming down by train for this one, staying overnight in Greenwich Travelodge .. the  problem is Tuesday night in a 'cheap' hotel in the area would cost me a minimum of £125, maximum £192 ..  Greenwich High Street is fully booked, must be the FGR army come to town .. so. I will be online from N E Lincs

CAFC 2 v Forest Green Rovers 0
  • Options
    Home win .. try Thomas at left back where Clayden is pretty ordinary and that is being VERY kind
    I'd like to see a 4 4 2 with Raki pulled back to right wing, Blackett-T on the left and Leaburn alongside Stockley .. this will not happen of course
    FGR have made a poor start to the season under a new manager and have lost a couple of the better players from last season

I was thinking of coming down by train for this one, staying overnight in Greenwich Travelodge .. the  problem is Tuesday night in a 'cheap' hotel in the area would cost me a minimum of £125, maximum £192 ..  Greenwich High Street is fully booked, must be the FGR army come to town .. so. I will be online from N E Lincs

Used to be able to find a few cheap nights at the Greenwich TL but they seem to be keeping prices higher since summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Egbo must be close to a return. He must have started training again around three weeks ago. Hope he's able to make the bench at least, if not start at LB. Clayden has filled in well but he's not a LB, at least not yet.

Sage, you have Albie dropping for Payne. I could see it, but Garner hasn't gone away from his first choice midfield in the league this season apart from McGrandles starting the second game of the season (I think it was) and then being replaced by Dobson. I'm not convinced Garner is willing to tinker there yet. I wouldn't mind it, but Morgan's ability to dictate play could be helpful against FGR.

Hopefully CBT is fit enough to come back into the side. Kirk had a couple of good games but was way off against Bolton. 

And yes, would be great to see Chuks on the bench. I kind of doubt it, I think it's probably too soon, but we'll see.

Edit: just seen the Chuks thread, fingers crossed he makes the bench.

Wollacott
    Clare Lavelle O'Connell Egbo 
    .... Fraser Dobson Morgan
    JRS.......... Stockley...... CBT

McG Thomas McGrandles Payne Kirk Leaburn Aneke

Getting a couple players back from injury means we suddenly have some competition to even make the bench. 
  • Options

Used to be able to find a few cheap nights at the Greenwich TL but they seem to be keeping prices higher since summer.
    T/Ls everywhere are (I reckon) 80% more expensive since the lockdowns .. made it too expensive for me to go to many games  :'(
  • Options

I would be shocked and very disappointed if we started with that formation.
    Three at the back with Clair, O’Conner and TT, five in midfield and those two up front a maybe.
  • Options
    Need a win and a big dominating performance for me.

I’m sure FGR will pose their own problems for us, but if we can’t win this game, and win it well then it’s going to be a very turgid year for us. 

I’ll be at the valley and am looking forward it.  
  • Options

He's in his sixties but might still give Stockley a race over 100 yards....
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We really need a defender back at LB for me. It doesn't take much for coaches to spot weaknesses in a midfielder moving to full back with a few weeks/months training.
    There’s a trade off - you either accept that you have a Purrington figure that offers nothing going forward or a converted wide player that can to be coached how to defend .  When your transfer budget is zero, it’s unlikely you’ll find someone that can do both .  
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leuth said:
    Forest Green Rovers.

Fucking hell.
    In League One on merit. You know Bradford City are in League Two right? 
    Have you seen the clubs stuck in the National League?
    Notts County, Oldham, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Scunthorpe, Southend and others that have a reasonable history. 

PS I’ve been watching the Wrexham documentary. They were able to buy their ground back for a six figure sum. Just wish we could do the same somehow. (Won’t be a six figure sum of course.)
  • Options
    Less than 7k in the Valley to witness a 2 .1 victory for the Addicks. 
    It would be very disappointing to have such a low turn out as so many are desperate to see us play this week.
    Mind you I do agree that it will be a low attendance.
    I'll be there of course.
  • Options

London hotels will be booked out for the next week with visitors coming down to pay respects to her Majesty
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Forest Green Rovers.

Fucking hell.
    In League One on merit. You know Bradford City are in League Two right? 
    Have you seen the clubs stuck in the National League?
    Notts County, Oldham, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Scunthorpe, Southend and others that have a reasonable history. 

PS I’ve been watching the Wrexham documentary. They were able to buy their ground back for a six figure sum. Just wish we could do the same somehow. (Won’t be a six figure sum of course.)
    I think CAST should "invest" in 1 Euromillions ticket for every draw. We might be able to buy Harry Kane and the training ground/Valley in about 2099
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!