Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Deptford High Street

Comments

• Uboat said:
    I find it weird talking to my kids about places that they think are fine. They always say, ‘Dad, your opinions about London are stuck in the 80s’ as they head off for a night out in Bermondsey/Hackney/Tower Hamlets/Walworth etc. 
    i remember being 18 and telling my mum and dad i was off to a gig in shoreditch - their mouths hit the floor and asked if i was sure i wanted to go there.

London is transformed from their times, for better or for worse. The housing market is such that many otherwise middle class people can only afford to buy in the crappy areas, which brings more "cooler" businesses like bars, cafes etc which then brings up house prices. 
    I've lived in numerous areas that have been labelled 'crappy' - invariably by people that know very little about them. All gets a bit tedious.
    100% this.

I lived in Woolwich and Plumstead for the first 28 years of my life and I have nothing but fond memories - so my view of the area then is valid. That was 37 years ago and if people who live in that area now think of it as good, bad or indifferent then their opinions are equally valid. Anyone who passes a judgement on an area without ever living there should just be ignored. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Uboat said:
    I find it weird talking to my kids about places that they think are fine. They always say, ‘Dad, your opinions about London are stuck in the 80s’ as they head off for a night out in Bermondsey/Hackney/Tower Hamlets/Walworth etc. 
    i remember being 18 and telling my mum and dad i was off to a gig in shoreditch - their mouths hit the floor and asked if i was sure i wanted to go there.

London is transformed from their times, for better or for worse. The housing market is such that many otherwise middle class people can only afford to buy in the crappy areas, which brings more "cooler" businesses like bars, cafes etc which then brings up house prices. 
    I've lived in numerous areas that have been labelled 'crappy' - invariably by people that know very little about them. All gets a bit tedious.
    100% this.

I lived in Woolwich and Plumstead for the first 28 years of my life and I have nothing but fond memories - so my view of the area then is valid. That was 37 years ago and if people who live in that area now think of it as good, bad or indifferent then their opinions are equally valid. Anyone who passes a judgement on an area without ever living there should just be ignored. 
    Apart from Stoke. I think we can all agree that's an absolute bob hole!
    ;-)

• Uboat said:

Me too. Charlton being the main one.

• We used to live in Egerton Drive SE10 when I was a small kid.
    It was Greenwich but close to the Greenwich, Lewisham, Deptford border.
    I remember Carrington House and Charlie the Tramp (late 60's) who was usually visible.
    I vaguely remember my mum shouting out to me one day with some concern as I turned round and walked straight into Charlie.
    As I can still remember it I presume I've suffered a lifetime of PTSD  :)
    Does anyone else remember Charlie?
    I think there was another tramp who always had a flower in his lapel.
    It's all I remember Deptford for.  
    I remember Carrington House and Charlie the Tramp (late 60's) who was usually visible.
    I vaguely remember my mum shouting out to me one day with some concern as I turned round and walked straight into Charlie.
    Remember driving past Carrington House of a night when my mum had a cleaning job at a solicitors office in Deptford. Also remember my dad having to move the tramps (homeless as they are now) on, so my mum could mop the front of the offices.

We used to get deal out tbe butchers shop round the corner. Pretty sure it closed very recently.

Have other memories of waking through the market with my nan.

All the above woulda been early 80's
  • Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    Uboat said:

100% this.

Apart from Stoke. I think we can all agree that's an absolute bob hole!
    ;-)

Can't say as thankfully I've never lived there!
  • There’s something very uniquely special about our corner of SE London isn’t there. The characters and personalities. The atmosphere. The vibe. I struggle to put in to words what it means to me. 
    We live a bit further out now but I will always class myself as a SE Londoner.  Was born there and spent most of my life there. It’s where my heart is. I have numerous family members from all corners of SE London. Lots have moved out. But we all still class ourselves as SE Londoners. 

First game of the season this year  I took my daughter. Driving away from new cross after the game  , crawling through the traffic, various sirens blaring, crowds of people drinking out the front of the pubs, inebriated people crossing the road in front of us without even looking, a West Indian street party down some side street, music blaring and people dancing. My daughter was just staring out the window, absorbing it all (makes a change from staring  at her phone!). She turned to me and said “there’s no order is there dad”. 

And that nailed it for me. There’s no order. And I love it. Proud to come from where I do. Most of its a shithole, but I don’t care. A lot of people struggle. But they do it with a smile on their face. I’ve been all over this world but the best people I’ve come across are those from our little corner  of SE London. 

P.S. beers have been taken tonight hence my over sentimental post 🤣

That's as maybe - but you are spot on.

South East London is alive with all human life - and it is priceless.
  • Sponsored links:

• There’s something very uniquely special about our corner of SE London isn’t there. The characters and personalities. The atmosphere. The vibe. I struggle to put in to words what it means to me. 
    We live a bit further out now but I will always class myself as a SE Londoner.  Was born there and spent most of my life there. It’s where my heart is. I have numerous family members from all corners of SE London. Lots have moved out. But we all still class ourselves as SE Londoners. 

First game of the season this year  I took my daughter. Driving away from new cross after the game  , crawling through the traffic, various sirens blaring, crowds of people drinking out the front of the pubs, inebriated people crossing the road in front of us without even looking, a West Indian street party down some side street, music blaring and people dancing. My daughter was just staring out the window, absorbing it all (makes a change from staring  at her phone!). She turned to me and said “there’s no order is there dad”. 

And that nailed it for me. There’s no order. And I love it. Proud to come from where I do. Most of its a shithole, but I don’t care. A lot of people struggle. But they do it with a smile on their face. I’ve been all over this world but the best people I’ve come across are those from our little corner  of SE London. 

You are right or well your daughter is, there is a kind of disorder to it when looking at it as an outsider, though once you know its not that hectic.

I used to live up Lompit hill for a few years and the bloke (Mr Pink) lived in the colourful house across the road from me. Each evening he would come outside and scream and sing. I remember a mate turning up and saying to me "there's some mental bloke screaming outside that house over there!!" which i then replied "oh really, he's early today" 

I used to live above the newsagents on Loampit Hill, near the corner of Tyrwhitt Road. Lost count the number of times the sub post office next door was held up !
  • not just in London or in the country but voted as one of the coolest streets in the whole world!

Number 17, who'd a thought it.  

https://www.timeout.com/things-to-do/coolest-streets-in-the-world

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62693537
    who makes up this rubbish ?
  • I worked in New Cross for a year at the turn of the 80s and lived in Rochdale Way, just off Deptford High Street (principally because the bills-inclusive rent was only a tenner a week). I didn't find the area menacing, although I was shot in the arse one day with an air rifle whilst walking along New Cross Road by a gaggle of youths who were pissing themselves laughing in a passing car. I tried not to take it personally, as they were taking pot shots at pedestrians generally as they wended their way down the road.

Forty odd years ago, Deptford High Street had several pubs, none of which were, in my opinion, any good and the area was certainly run down and on the seedy side. The only pub my mate and I frequented every Friday lunchtime was the Dog & Bell. The pub was smaller back then, very friendly (as now) and served an excellent pint of Fullers ESB.

Nowadays, Deptford is one of our reasonably regular pre-match haunts en route to The Valley. The Dog & Bell is excellent and I also really like the taprooms at Villages and Little Faith. We used to pop into The Taproom at 3 Market Yard by the station when it was run by Hop Stuff Brewery but stopped doing so when they went bust and one of the behemoth breweries took over. Will have to revisit the place now it's run by Salt Brewery from West Yorkshire.

As for the High Street, it's certainly an area in transition, with hipster coffee shops and tattooists rubbing shoulders with the street market, Manze's pie and mash shop and a variety of other food outlets.

You are right or well your daughter is, there is a kind of disorder to it when looking at it as an outsider, though once you know its not that hectic.

I used to live up Lompit hill for a few years and the bloke (Mr Pink) lived in the colourful house across the road from me. Each evening he would come outside and scream and sing. I remember a mate turning up and saying to me "there's some mental bloke screaming outside that house over there!!" which i then replied "oh really, he's early today" 

https://youtu.be/YXh_sho2NGw

Sorely missed.
    Legend 
  • Blucher said:
    I worked in New Cross for a year at the turn of the 80s and lived in Rochdale Way, just off Deptford High Street (principally because the bills-inclusive rent was only a tenner a week). I didn't find the area menacing, although I was shot in the arse one day with an air rifle whilst walking along New Cross Road by a gaggle of youths who were pissing themselves laughing in a passing car. I tried not to take it personally, as they were taking pot shots at pedestrians generally as they wended their way down the road.

Forty odd years ago, Deptford High Street had several pubs, none of which were, in my opinion, any good and the area was certainly run down and on the seedy side. The only pub my mate and I frequented every Friday lunchtime was the Dog & Bell. The pub was smaller back then, very friendly (as now) and served an excellent pint of Fullers ESB.

Nowadays, Deptford is one of our reasonably regular pre-match haunts en route to The Valley. The Dog & Bell is excellent and I also really like the taprooms at Villages and Little Faith. We used to pop into The Taproom at 3 Market Yard by the station when it was run by Hop Stuff Brewery but stopped doing so when they went bust and one of the behemoth breweries took over. Will have to revisit the place now it's run by Salt Brewery from West Yorkshire.

As for the High Street, it's certainly an area in transition, with hipster coffee shops and tattooists rubbing shoulders with the street market, Manze's pie and mash shop and a variety of other food outlets.
    The Manzes in Deptford is poor. Definitely worth going on a bit to the one in Peckham, miles better. 
  • Blucher said:
    I worked in New Cross for a year at the turn of the 80s and lived in Rochdale Way, just off Deptford High Street (principally because the bills-inclusive rent was only a tenner a week). I didn't find the area menacing, although I was shot in the arse one day with an air rifle whilst walking along New Cross Road by a gaggle of youths who were pissing themselves laughing in a passing car. I tried not to take it personally, as they were taking pot shots at pedestrians generally as they wended their way down the road.

The Manzes in Deptford is poor. Definitely worth going on a bit to the one in Peckham, miles better. 
    Tower Bridge Road is the choice of my two sons - ruined by their mother introducing them to Manze.
  • bobmunro said:
    Blucher said:

Tower Bridge Road is the choice of my two sons - ruined by their mother introducing them to Manze.
    Prefer the Peckham one myself, or Arments 
  • sam3110 said:
    Lets be honest here from Woolwich to Greenwich, Kidbrooke to Deptford, Peckham, New Cross, Lewisham Catford, Charlton, Lee, Eltham, Mottingham, Hither Green and everything in between, it's a patchwork of semi decent to fking horrendous
    SE London may be a shithole, mostly, but it’s OUR shithole, and I’d take it over some nondescript suburbia like Croydon any day of the week. 
    At the moment but history suggests it's mostly been ours 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• The Prince of Peckham for me. Their jerk is lovely. 
    I grew up in Royal Hill and remember him and many others. All from Carrington House. They still had a rope there for anyone unable to get a bed. There were dozens of proper tramps on the streets of Deptford and Greenwich in those days, many shell-shocked and injured war veterans. 
  • edited September 2022
    We used to live in Egerton Drive SE10 when I was a small kid.
    I grew up in Royal Hill and remember him and many others. All from Carrington House. They still had a rope there for anyone unable to get a bed. There were dozens of proper tramps on the streets of Deptford and Greenwich in those days, many shell-shocked and injured war veterans. 
    Hence the derivation "hungover" ?

I lived in Loampit Hill too 
  • Blucher said:

Danny Baker was shot in the leg in Jamaica Rd.  The 'bandits' car then sped off, spun round the roundabout by the Rotherithe tunnel, came back and shot him in the arse (as he was bent down examining his first injury).  He reckons it was West Ham fans.  
    Haha either there was alot of people doing that or just one nutter as it seems what I thought was a one off seems quite common ! I was shot in the arse whilst walking down the road after a night in the World Turned Upside Down. How things have changed earlier this year I drove past where it happened and said to my kids who were in the car "hey that's where I got shot in the arse" they asked if the police caught person when I explained I didnt ring them they were dumbfounded lol no idea why but it wasnt the done thing then.

It is very strange though as alot of people have already said SE London is a shithole bit like others I left 32 years ago but it's still where I call home. Very weird
  • Blucher said:

@blucher in the housing co-op?  I lived there, too, ‘85 to Dec ‘86. 
  • edited September 2022
    We used to live in Egerton Drive SE10 when I was a small kid.
    @Cardinal Sin do you remember Dreher’s greengrocer on Royal Hill?  Their daughter was in my technical drawing class at school. Quite a looker and an Addick. 
    Hence the derivation "hungover" ?
    No, hence “I’m so tired I could sleep on a clothesline”. I learnt this from Alan Moore’s excellent From Hell.