Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deptford High Street

Comments

• Options
    I used to work in Peckham.
    I'd got in the car to drive home and was at the traffic lights near Peckham Rye.
    A car pulled up alongside the car in front and a gunman shot the driver through the side window.
    The gunman looked at me and I thought I was next, but thankfully he drove off.

Damilola Taylor was murdered in Peckham a few years later RIP.
    I recall because I was acquainted with Richard his father.

Wonderful place is Peckham.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Worked at the Deptford Woolwich for a week as emergency cover, scared the bejesus out of me!
    one fella nutted the counter divider screen, another gobbed at the staff on to the screen (they seemed used to it). Next time they needed cover I became unavailable. Usually based in Peckham which seemed milder in comparison. They actually made Peckham branch open plan, which was brave of the bosses from their plush offices in Bexleyheath (the mostly female staff at the time were very not keen). They never considered open plan an option for Deptford suprisingly.
  • Options
    Was always told by family members from the area that the creek divided the Millwall and Charlton ‘manors’. Seeing as the high street is on our side we’ll claim that 😉
    I've changed my answer. Deptford is a scummy area with arseholes drinking in the arches 
  • Options
    Lived there between 87-90, drank in the Noah’s and McMillans. The landlord of McMillans (a Glaswegian) had previously ran a pub in Peckham and after a year in Deptford couldn’t wait to get back so ended up running another boozer in SE15. He described Deptford as feral ! 
    Personally, I never had any bother in Deptford but never felt safe in Peckham.
    I went back to have a look about 5 years ago and couldn’t believe all the old pubs had gone. Just one in the High Street I think.
  • Options
    Rarely had problems in Deptford - go there pretty regularly.
  • Options
    Is there still a market in Douglas Street on a Saturday ?
  • Options
    one of the last cheaper areas to live in that's within a stone's throw of central london, so all the hipsters are moving in. Don't think it will quite go as far as shoreditch but is definitely the new peckham.
    Peckham is a scary place.
    Vincenzo said:
    Nonsense.
    Peckham has some very suspect areas and people, some really good bits, and some real rip-off places. A bit like NY, it’s OK to visit but I’m not sure I’d want to live there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Rarely had problems in Deptford - go there pretty regularly.
    I managed a group of betting shops in south London 40 years ago and never had any issues in Deptford, New Cross, Peckham, The Blue or Brixton. Clapham Junction and the Wandsworth Road are another story all together!

I really can't comment on what Deptford is like today though.
  • Options
    Very surprised at the stuff I am reading here.  Lived in Deptford for a couple of years, worked there for a few more, mostly in an around the various community hubs.  Never felt threatened.  I went to Eltham once and I could feel all the joy and happiness in me ebbing away as if it was populated by dementors.  Horse for courses I suppose.  
    Like most inner city areas there is good and bad - some people inevitably concentrate on the bad.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Lets be honest here from Woolwich to Greenwich, Kidbrooke to Deptford, Peckham, New Cross, Lewisham Catford, Charlton, Lee, Eltham, Mottingham, Hither Green and everything in between, it's a patchwork of semi decent to fking horrendous
    Grove Park
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Nonsense.
    You must be blind then.

have had a few great nights out in peckham. Very hipster-y but still has an edge about it. But is definitely being gentrified. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Deptford hasn't been the same since they gentrified Carrington House. 
    Remember the bloke who used to sit outside sharpening his knife?!
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Friday nights at the Albany Empire, Douglas Way, some of the best I’ve ever had.
    Tony Wilson and Andy Nicholls. Good times...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I find it weird talking to my kids about places that they think are fine. They always say, ‘Dad, your opinions about London are stuck in the 80s’ as they head off for a night out in Bermondsey/Hackney/Tower Hamlets/Walworth etc. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Uboat said:
    I find it weird talking to my kids about places that they think are fine. They always say, ‘Dad, your opinions about London are stuck in the 80s’ as they head off for a night out in Bermondsey/Hackney/Tower Hamlets/Walworth etc. 
    Walworth?? Not sure they’d be having much of a night out there. It is still like the 80’s 
  • Options
    SE London may not be perfect but I rather that than non-descript, aspirational, uber middle class, oh-so-leafy Hampstead or whatever it is that people rave about.
  • Options
    I used to work in Peckham.
    I'd got in the car to drive home and was at the traffic lights near Peckham Rye.
    A car pulled up alongside the car in front and a gunman shot the driver through the side window.
    The gunman looked at me and I thought I was next, but thankfully he drove off.

Damilola Taylor was murdered in Peckham a few years later RIP.
    I recall because I was acquainted with Richard his father.

Wonderful place is Peckham.
    I went to Peckham once but she wouldn’t let me.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Lets be honest here from Woolwich to Greenwich, Kidbrooke to Deptford, Peckham, New Cross, Lewisham Catford, Charlton, Lee, Eltham, Mottingham, Hither Green and everything in between, it's a patchwork of semi decent to fking horrendous
    SE London may be a shithole, mostly, but it’s OUR shithole, and I’d take it over some nondescript suburbia like Croydon any day of the week. 
    Trust me i wouldn't live anywhere else in the world, I'm 31 and have spent all 31 years between the areas listed, I'm just saying for all the bad places there are good places, and vice versa, and I'd imagine the whole of the UK is like that
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Uboat said:
    i remember being 18 and telling my mum and dad i was off to a gig in shoreditch - their mouths hit the floor and asked if i was sure i wanted to go there.

London is transformed from their times, for better or for worse. The housing market is such that many otherwise middle class people can only afford to buy in the crappy areas, which brings more "cooler" businesses like bars, cafes etc which then brings up house prices.