Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th August 2022

edited August 2022 in General Charlton
Wendies away. 32 degrees celcius.

Only one change in the starting XI .... Dobson.

Charlton: Wollacott; Clare, Inniss, O'Connell, Sessegnon; Morgan, Dobson, Fraser; Blackett-Taylor, Stockley (c), Kirk

Subs: MacGillivray, Lavelle, Clayden, McGrandles, Payne, Jaiyesimi, Leaburn

Comments

• Options
    Pitch looks very nice and green. 
  • Options
    Delighted to see Garner has acknowledged Dobson is worth a starting spot. Great sign that he isn't too stubborn to change his thinking.
  • Options
    Surprised Kirk starts ahead of DJ... Nice to see a settled team
  • Options
    No Rak-Sakyi. Ben G doesn't rush new signings into the team.
  • Options
    I hope he has told Dobo to follow Bannan wherever goes and to show his inner Pratley 😂
  • Options
    Fancy Stockley for a goal today. Sheffield really struggled to deal with crosses against Portsmouth a couple of weeks back. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Delighted to see Garner has acknowledged Dobson is worth a starting spot. Great sign that he isn't too stubborn to change his thinking.
    This is the biggest surprise for me. He’s talked a lot about playing our own game and imposing our style on an opposition. To the point where I expected him to plough on with his original thoughts and ideas in these situations.

It’s definitely a good sign that he’s willing to take the evidence in front of his eyes and adjust accordingly. Dobson was a really big part in last weekend’s three points and deserves the start.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Pitch looks very nice and green. 
    It's grim  green up North.

• Options
    Very early in the season, but for me it feels like we will have some sort of idea about how close we are to the top teams in the league after todays performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fancy Stockley for a goal today. Sheffield really struggled to deal with crosses against Portsmouth a couple of weeks back. 
    That's what I thought and the odds on Innis scoring twice is £650-1 so stuck a fiver on 😂 hope we get a few corners 
  • Options
    well, my 2-0 wont come in with JRS scoring the 2nd.

As someone mentioned the other day, do we ever sign someone during the week & put him in the team (or on the bench) on the Saturday. Can't remember in recent time but I think Curbs might have dome in with Bradley Allen in 1996.
  • Options
    No room for JFC or Gilbey.
  • Options
    No matter what the moaners will tell you, we've got a good squad this year. That Payne can't break in to the starting 11 and that Rak Saki isn't getting rushed into the squad, is testament to that.

Still fancy us to lose today though.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    No Rak-Sakyi. Ben G doesn't rush new signings into the team.
    In his pre-match interview, Garner hinted that Rak-Sak would probably not be involved, but would travel to watch and get to know everyone.

But would likely to be involved v Argyle next Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Redrobo said:
    New kid doesn’t make the bench. Pleased that he has to play his way into the squad.
    Nice too that Garner doesn't feel the need to rush him - Team are doing well enough on their own, so throwing him straight in, potentially sends the message that he has doubts over the rest.

Better too to ease him in, once he's trained more... Could be seen as a risk to the rest of the team / tactics else. 
  • Options
    I like the fact that he isnt in the squad today. If he came straight in at the expense of another might show the wrong message to the squad. Nobody been that bad to drop straight out imo. Tuesday I'm sure he will feature
  • Options
    If you have a Fraser in midfield you need to have a Dobson too. We saw that against Derby.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    With this squad there’s no need to break JFC too early in the season. Let him build up match fitness and strength. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Good, I don’t see who we’d leave out.
  • Options
    I imagine he will start on Tuesday, but I wonder if/when we will start to see Payne being featured from the start more often - and at whose expense.

With the improvement we have seen in Morgan and DJ this year, JRS to come in, plus hopefully two more of similar quality - it really does feel like we’ve got a strong squad coming together. 
  • Options
    Sheff Wed (5-3-2): Stockdale; Hunt, Ihiekwe, Heneghan, Palmer, Johnson: Vaulks, Dele-Bashiru, Bannan; Paterson, Windass

Subs: Dawson, James, Iorfa, Byers, Bakinson, Gregory, Sow
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    New kid doesn’t make the bench. Pleased that he has to play his way into the squad.
    Nice too that Garner doesn't feel the need to rush him - Team are doing well enough on their own, so throwing him straight in, potentially sends the message that he has doubts over the rest.

Better too to ease him in, once he's trained more... Could be seen as a risk to the rest of the team / tactics else. 
    risk to the team/tactics ?  Have a word !

Not hard for a player to come on for the last 15/20 mins at run at a tiring defence. not going to be spoiling any tactics or putting another player's nose out of joint.
  • Options
    I can't really argue with the "unchanged team" approach - apart from Dobbo whom it would have been criminal to leave out again - but I think I would still have started Payne over Fraser. I like Fraser but Payne offers pace and dynamism as well as technical ability.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    I can't really argue with the "unchanged team" approach - apart from Dobbo whom it would have been criminal to leave out again - but I think I would still have started Payne over Fraser. I like Fraser but Payne offers pace and dynamism as well as technical ability.
    Payne coming on as a substitute in this heat will mean he will have a significantly greater impact 
  • Options
    Olly Groome on the pitch again  ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Redrobo said:

risk to the team/tactics ?  Have a word !

Not hard for a player to come on for the last 15/20 mins at run at a tiring defence. not going to be spoiling any tactics or putting another player's nose out of joint.
    What you dont think a sub can have a negative effect on a performance... Have a word!! - We lost at Peterborough two years ago, because of the subs we made!!

Rak-Sakyi isn't going to be used to our style of play, and isnt going to know the characteristics of his team mates. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!