Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Accrington v Charlton | July 30, 2022

Comments

• Options
     "I like Inniss but I’m not really that sure why."

Ha! Feel the same.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Didn't watch the stream, so what were the team in the studio's takes on the performance?
    Disappointed to concede the late equaliser, but happy to get a point a Accrington had more chances and were much the better side in the second half.

When our passing from the back worked well, it worked very well pulling the opposition out of position, but at other times we looked uncertain. Both feel that we will improve with practice as the players adapt to a new system, with both goals we conceded ones we should have defended better as a team.
  • Options
    Stockley doesn’t work for me in this side. No pace to close down - ball on the deck ia a problem 
  • Options
    Well done lads. A really good point away first game of the season. And good to find the net twice. Really pleased for Leaburn. And Garner and the new lads. Have to say really surprised with GK. Had no confidence in this signing but today he pulled off some amazing saves and looks excellent. 

Any negs? I'll put them all down to tiredness as we have just got started. When all the lads are match fit and have a dozen or so games under their belt together ... Maybe then...
  • Options
    If it’s Inniss and O’Connell as our preferred pairing then we’re going to conceded some right comedy goals playing out from the back. We got away with some unbelievably poor stuff from those two today. I like Inniss but I’m not really that sure why. Jury out on O’Connell for me but it is only one game in.
    Absolutely this. Our play our from the back, second half in particular was unsuccessful more often than not and invited pressure. If the guys there have the skill to play that way great. If not, it's going to end in goals against. 
  • Options
    Today looks like being a microcosm of Garner's system - when it works well some nice passing and genuinely attacking possession football, albeit potentially in need of a sharper edge up front (though I don't doubt this was already known and being sought out.)

When it goes wrong we get shithoused and bullied and end up making thoroughly preventable errors.

All in all a work in progress, there's some green seeds in there but if a good run doesn't appear fairly quickly I can see opinions shifting against him in short order.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The hope is that that will improve with time and minutes on the pitch. Whether it does or doesn’t, we are in for an entertaining season.

Two goals a game is 92 goals… both scored and conceded at the current rate. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In Philly for a wedding and my mate you won 2-1 94 minute winner and I’m like brilliant……oh hold on !
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    A 2-2 draw at Accrington Stanley. What a time to be alive!
    & people appear happy with that, jesus we have fallen a long way :(
  • Options
    Swindon last season were top of all the attacking stats, but didn't get automatic promotion due to defensive frailties. Today's game suggests more of the same.
    Stanley had twice as many shots as us today …..
  • Options
    As Fenland said a work in progress, the passing out from the back is suicidal it times and I doubt the midfield 3 that started will do so for many more games. It was a great feeling to have Leaburn score in fact both goals were well worked in the new system. Stockley is acclimatising to the new way and can only improve - can't he, and it seems we have a good shot stopper.

wonder how many of todays players will be fit for the Derby game after the battering in the 2nd half.

overall I'm impressed but expect better in a few weeks time.
    Spot on. That's for sure.
  • Options
    The good news for me is it's evident that the manager has an ethos and a plan and the players have bought into it.

The bad news is what we knew already - we're going to have a defensively soft underbelly and we are at least 3 first team players short in key positions (whilst being massively overstocked in central midfield).

Big few weeks ahead. We need to move on a couple of players, bring in 3 (a mobile ST, a LB and a CB unless we are going to gamble on Innis and Elerewe's recall clause - I'd like another wide attacker but can't see it). We also need to keep adjusting to the new system and style and keep at it.
  • Options
    Today has to be the latest we've ever gone ahead in a game and not won it, right?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

So, with 20% less possession Stanley had nearly twice as many efforts on goal that we did!

Not sure what to make of that….
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

So, with 20% less possession Stanley had nearly twice as many efforts on goal that we did!

Not sure what to make of that….
    2-2🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    If it’s Inniss and O’Connell as our preferred pairing then we’re going to conceded some right comedy goals playing out from the back. We got away with some unbelievably poor stuff from those two today. I like Inniss but I’m not really that sure why. Jury out on O’Connell for me but it is only one game in.

It's the 1st game. I desperately hope we learn from such mistakes and continue signing players.

Garner can assess the performance and adjust it. Remove potential mistakes from repeating.

I hope it makes us a tad angry and we will be eager to prove ourselves against derby. 
  • Options
    On a side note. Hope everybody got home ot making their way home from.Preston. Lots of cancelled trains and other fans going back to London.
  • Options
    Very disappointing. 
  • Options
    I just get the feeling that our new custodian Wollacutt might have the look of attaining a bit of a cult status. He’s going to pull of some miraculous saves over the season and due to our defensive strategy I think might be involved in a few howlers. I was definitely impressed today. 
    The new Sir Charlie Wright?

PS: Kiddoes, ask your Grandad. :smile:

• Options
    Good first half. Played nicely out from the back, wingers caused trouble, Morgan and Fraser heavily involved in the goal, Stockley supported well, Dobson not required, we rode the tough challenges and kept calm.

Bad second half. Resorted to hoofing it to an outjumped Stockley, wingers disappeared, Morgan (bar one majestic pass) and Fraser bypassed, Dobson became the key player covering like last year, we were bullied into submission.

So: signs of promise, but plenty still to do. 
  • Options
    On a side note. Hope everybody got home ot making their way home from.Preston. Lots of cancelled trains and other fans going back to London.
    Currently at Crewe