Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Accrington v Charlton | July 30, 2022

Comments

• Last year we lost 2-1 with Stanley having only 10 players for the last 30 minutes. 

I'd call that an improvement considering it's a first game learning a new style with the transfer window still open. 

Looked good in the first half, faded in the second. Subs were positive though could have been 5-10 minutes earlier in my view. 
    We were overrun in the second half. Our midfield, which is supposed to be where we are strongest according to Garner,  disappeared and the defence, bar the goalie, vulnerable to every cross. A very lucky point against a mid table team. So much work still to be done
  • vffvff
    edited July 2022
    Draw a fair result. Charlton passed well first half, and went in deservedly ahead. Accrington different team second half, upped the physical challenge and disrupted Charlton's rhythm. Accrington bossed the half, created a lot of chances and eventually scored. Wollacott made some good stops.
    At 93 minutes, I thought that a draw was fair. Excellent to see Miles Leaburn score - but 30 seconds later, Accrington equaliser. Conceeding with 2 mins to go is disappointing, but a draw was still probably the fair result, given how the second half went overall.
  • Same old
  • Disappointing end to the game but not too disappointed.

Sessegnon looks absolute class - this year's Conor Gallagher perhaps; how great to have a goalkeeper who comes for the ball and looks to dominate the area (as well as being a good shot stopper); Payne in his little cameo looks like he will be a class acquistion;

I may be on my own here but this passing out from the back is going to cost us. We got away with it twice today. Other days we are not going to be so lucky.
  • Be nice if Stockley can chip in with a few this season 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Disappointing end to the game but not too disappointed.

Sessegnon looks absolute class - this year's Conor Gallagher perhaps; how great to have a goalkeeper who comes for the ball and looks to dominate the area (as well as being a good shot stopper); Payne in his little cameo looks like he will be a class acquistion;

I may be on my own here but this passing out from the back is going to cost us. We got away with it twice today. Other days we are not going to be so lucky.

First half it worked well, and was the starting point to many attacks.

second half we got too cocky, and innis his usual lackadaisical self and just happy to play hospital balls to players under pressure in our own box! 

It’ll get better, but need to be scoring more/dominate midfield to avoid being pinned back in our own box!

alternatively, need stockley to be winning more aerial battles 
  • Just enjoy that Leaburn scored (and when and his elation). Take the positives. 
  • First half new Charlton, second half old Charlton.

Very good going forwards in the first half, got the ball forward quick and along the floor not too slow and ponderous be interesting to see if this is an "away" tactic. some good defending too, keepers a keeper.  Although we dominated the ball it wasnt all us and in truth Accy had the better chances.

Second half, god knows what happened but was nothing like the previous 45, was all Stanley  really and no surprise to see them equalise, to then go and take the lead so late and concede again with another far to easy goal.....feck me. 

Predicted a 1-0 loss, so a point is welcome.

Plus points,  Ses, Leaburn, Wollacott, fast garnerball.
  • Been driving down to Cornwall for most of the day. Only got into our holiday lodge around 4.30 to then hear we had been pegged back to 1-1. Golfie Jnr went delirious when Leaburn then scored what must be the winner at 90+4. How can we not hold onto a lead for 90 seconds. Had us down for a 1-1 so wasn't far wrong. 

As I've said until I'm blue in the face......until we can bolster our attack we wont be scoring enough goals to win games. End of.
    But we scored 2.

Surely it's the defence?
  • Draw was a fair result. They are so difficult to play against but it doesn't help when your centre half turns like an oil tanker for their first goal. 
    Definitely good signs . 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Sadly this is just what I predicted a few weeks ago, we lack that experience and characters to see out games.

But a point on the road is not too bad. But we need more experience in the side or games like this will happen again.
    No we simply made a basic error after scoring, it happens to the best of sides, remember we very nearly turned a draw into a win there.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    Been driving down to Cornwall for most of the day. Only got into our holiday lodge around 4.30 to then hear we had been pegged back to 1-1. Golfie Jnr went delirious when Leaburn then scored what must be the winner at 90+4. How can we not hold onto a lead for 90 seconds. Had us down for a 1-1 so wasn't far wrong. 

As I've said until I'm blue in the face......until we can bolster our attack we wont be scoring enough goals to win games. End of.

You think the attack that scored 2 goals is the problem rather than the defence that conceded 2?

YES 

If we had been 3-0 up we wouldnt have lost. I hear we were dominant for parts of the 1st half & missed some chances. Put those away then we wouldn't have lost

And the game is about scoring goals & not about not letting them in. You cant win a game of football if you dont score. It is that simple. 

FFS... Thanks @Jac_52... Now I have a bloody headache
  • Off_it said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Been driving down to Cornwall for most of the day. Only got into our holiday lodge around 4.30 to then hear we had been pegged back to 1-1. Golfie Jnr went delirious when Leaburn then scored what must be the winner at 90+4. How can we not hold onto a lead for 90 seconds. Had us down for a 1-1 so wasn't far wrong. 

You think the attack that scored 2 goals is the problem rather than the defence that conceded 2?

Dont go there... Please save yourself the headache!! - Just smile and move on to reading the next post
    Bloke just cuts and pastes the same shit every week. Hes even left the bit in about us losing on his post above .... when we didnt lose!
    The problem with us all, is every once and while we'll get some 50/50 prediction correct and we'll think we're the next bloody tactical genius of the Sport - If we were a true genius of the Sport, we'd be genuinely doing something about it
  • Be nice if Stockley can chip in with a few this season 😉
    I’d settle for him touching the ball more than 5 times.
  • :-(

That's why you never do that!
  • On the face of it, a draw up there on the opening day isn't a bad result. Bring on Derby.
  • So frustrating even though would have accepted that before the game. 

Second half not good enough and obviously more needs to be done.  

No way we should have conceded like that in the last 90 seconds … must learn from that.  

Next week will tell us more about our prospects.  
  • edited July 2022
    At the match lots will differ but I thought first 35mins was dross livened up by a quick break and 1 nil....

Second half they up their game slightly and after a few nightmare missed crosses by our keeper he makes a couple of great saves.

Grest cameo from Miles thought that was that just vouldnt see it out.

Special word of praise for the ref who must be dancing with joy when they equalised in the 96th minute....all down to you for the nonsensical diving and feigning injury of the home side...