Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2022-23 Betting Thread

Comments

• edited December 2022
    Serious …. Wolves didn’t go 2-1 up until 90+5 and you cashed out.  An if that’s the case I’m amazed that the cash out was only £93.72p.

The bet pays £20,800 an with no time to go, you took £93.  Or was the Wolves game 1-1 when you bailed out… ??
    I don't think many people understand the psychology of cashing out until you have experienced it for yourself. It is SO not that simple - when people bet, you look at your stake, the time left, then you make a judgement call on the likelihood of turning a profit- at 90+2 minutes - £85 profit looks like a good option.. at the time what you are then betting on is £90 (or whatever the cash amount is) instead of £5 for a last second winner. 

essentially what i'm saying is, the cash-out BECOMES your stake. its very fucking clever how the bookies do it

edit; to be clear, the stake is the stake, but the cash out option makes you THINK that is your stake
  • edited December 2022
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    That's the trouble with an all or nothing bet.
    I'd be doing 
    £1 doubles.
    £2 treble.

How would that have helped him? 
    I'd look at it that my worst double pays £208.
    The 3 doubles pay £788 for a £1 each.
    If the 3 at any time are correct then I'd cash the doubles in and let the treble run.
    I think that the worst double would have paid £192 and the total for 3 £1 doubles £705.
    Cash out values tend to be really poor value so you wouldn't get much to cash them out unless there were only a few minutes left.
    Having said that I would do similar to what you are suggesting, but higher value doubles, if I was betting on the scores of 3 matches. It's hard enough to predict one correct score, let alone three.
    The bloke who cashed out, for the sake of a whole £94, now knows that he could have picked up 17.1k.
  • clb74 said:
    Serious …. Wolves didn’t go 2-1 up until 90+5 and you cashed out.  An if that’s the case I’m amazed that the cash out was only £93.72p.

The bet pays £20,800 an with no time to go, you took £93.  Or was the Wolves game 1-1 when you bailed out… ??
    He cashed out when he still needed another 5 goals
    How do you know that…. ? Was there more info somewhere else. ?
  • edited December 2022

I don't think many people understand the psychology of cashing out until you have experienced it for yourself. It is SO not that simple - when people bet, you look at your stake, the time left, then you make a judgement call on the likelihood of turning a profit- at 90+2 minutes - £85 profit looks like a good option.. at the time what you are then betting on is £90 (or whatever the cash amount is) instead of £5 for a last second winner. 

essentially what i'm saying is, the cash-out BECOMES your stake. its very fucking clever how the bookies do it
    Personally if I was a £5 punter doing a bet like that, I would do the same bet 5 times for a £1. So each bet worth £4200. Then if late on I’m bloody close,I can cash out a couple of the bets, and yet still be running for big money.

if I do a £50 treble, I do the same treble twice for £25. Then it’s not a shit or bust situation.
  • edited December 2022

Personally if I was a £5 punter doing a bet like that, I would do the same bet 5 times for a £1. So each bet worth £4200. Then if late on I’m bloody close,I can cash out a couple of the bets, and yet still be running for big money.

if I do a £50 treble, I do the same treble twice for £25. Then it’s not a shit or bust situation.
    personally, i'd stick to beting in land based bookies where the cash out option is'nt available

edit (again) where is all the "beat the bookies" major cash out wins on twitter? 
  • clb74 said:

I assume that means that at the time of the cashout it was: -

Everton 1-1 Wolves
    Southampton 0-2 Brighton
    Sheff Utd 2-0 Coventry

I'm surprised they offered any cashout, at all, at that stage, with over 30 minutes to go. 
  • There's always partial cash out. Cash out is always poor value, the return from the bookies (I'm looking at you, bob) is invariably dreadful. But a partial on a promising situation can give you your stake back and you can let the rest run as free money.
    But it absolutely can mess with your head.
  • As has been suggested for a bet of that nature then I would have done the doubles and a treble simply because the actual odds for those three all coming in was 3,419/1 - whereas the punter cashed out at less than 18/1. They could then have cashed in the doubles and let the treble run if they were that desperate for a return.

However, they might have placed a bet on the result, instead of the score, as a treble and had a return of approximately 9/1 which is far nearer the cash out then the odds for landing the all correct scores. The other aspect to bear in mind is that the bet looks like it's been placed with Bet365 and if that was the case then Brighton (33 mins) and Sheffield United (71 mins) would have been settled as soon as they went two goals up on a correct result bet so they would only have been sweating, with 20 minutes at least to go, on just Wolves getting a winner.

But, at the end of the day and as others have also said, why place a bet of that nature if you are prepared to take a cash out for what represents less than 3% of what your ultimate return might be? 
  • edited December 2022
    Because 95% of people betting recreationally aren’t thinking ahead when putting their money down. And of course that’s just one of many ways that the bookie makes their money.
  • clb74 said:

How do you know that…. ? Was there more info somewhere else. ?

• Sponsored links:

• So one of my pre season accys was 840-1 odds.  I put on £20.

11 of my choices currently in the right spot.  Haaland top scorer, Sheff Utd, West Brom, Millwall all top half, Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Bolton top 6, Northampton, Salford top 7, Wrexham champions and Celtic to win SPL.

1 not in Peterborough top 6. Looks a bad choice to me as they are 8th and 5points behind Barnsley who for me to win are their only realistic target (IE they can't knock Bolton out as I would still lose).

Still, I am surprised given the opening odds that I have never had a cash out option.  Interested to know if bookies algorithms are clever enough to work out algorithms on multiples like this or whether all 12 would need to have stars align and be in place for a week to stand a chance.

• Bet365 cash out feature gone again. Happens so much. I don’t bet with them but its a regular occurrence as I’m in a WhatsApp group. If you can’t run the feature then don’t have it.
  • I always thought bet365s get out was they didn't have to offer a cash out?
  • clb74 said:
    I always thought bet365s get out was they didn't have to offer a cash out?
    Na they’re big on cash out. Even offer part cash out. 
  • clb74 said:
    I always thought bet365s get out was they didn't have to offer a cash out?
    Na they’re big on cash out. Even offer part cash out. 
    Really need to know what the event and market in question was. Sometimes it is unavailable for technical reasons (i.e. they lose their live feed) but it was certainly on offer for the matches that I had an interest in tonight. It will always be unavailable when they have to suspend the market (because something has happened in a game that might affect the result e.g. a possible penalty). If you're doing a multiple then the cash out option will, for that reason, be unavailable a lot of the time.

This is a summary of their rules:

bet365 cannot guarantee that the Cash Out feature will be available on your bet selection. To Cash Out, the feature must be available and show a Cash Out figure for your bet.

There are a number of circumstances where Cash Out may be unavailable. Some of the most common examples are:

- Certain sports, markets and bet types are not available for Cash Out.

- In order to Cash Out on an accumulator or multiple bet, every selection within the bet must be available. Cash Out will not be available when a market is suspended.

- Where Cash Out is available pre-event and we do not cover or we stop covering the event In-Play, then Cash Out will be unavailable once the event starts or when In-Play coverage stops.

- If you have used Bet Credits to fund your bet, Cash Out will only be available when the Cash Out amount is greater than the value of the Bet Credits used in your stake.

A time delay in accepting a Cash Out request is also in place; if a price changes or a market suspends, then the Cash Out request may not be successful.

• I get they might lose a feed from the conference south and there’s nothing worse than a gamblers head when there’s money on the line but it does happen a lot. Take a look at twitter. I’m not an aggressive bookie hater, I don’t even have a bet365 account, but the ‘technical issues’ have always been a problem with them, especially since they moved to a new layout (which is why I closed my account, their old layout was so much cleaner)
  • I get they might lose a feed from the conference south and there’s nothing worse than a gamblers head when there’s money on the line but it does happen a lot. Take a look at twitter. I’m not an aggressive bookie hater, I don’t even have a bet365 account, but the ‘technical issues’ have always been a problem with them, especially since they moved to a new layout (which is why I closed my account, their old layout was so much cleaner)
    I see that they did have some technical issues but, as I say, it didn't affect the matches I was involved in. I saw offers flash up from time to time I had no interest because I rarely, if ever, actually cash out. If the intention is to trade then I will use Betfair to do so.

That said, Betfair have had some horrendous situations over the years where the site has gone down and traders are left with open ended positions that they can do nothing about. All bets stand regardless which is a bit of an issued when you have a certain trading strategy and you're sitting there not being able to do anything about it except watch your P & L turn to a deep shade of red. Going back a decade or so, you used to be able to set your watch to 3.00 on a Saturday afternoon for the whole site to freeze!!! Unfortunately, they and Bet 365 are covered by their rules and for that reason neither IBAS or the Gambling Commission are ever likely to be interested.  
    I see that they did have some technical issues but, as I say, it didn't affect the matches I was involved in. I saw offers flash up from time to time I had no interest because I rarely, if ever, actually cash out. If the intention is to trade then I will use Betfair to do so.

That said, Betfair have had some horrendous situations over the years where the site has gone down and traders are left with open ended positions that they can do nothing about. All bets stand regardless which is a bit of an issued when you have a certain trading strategy and you're sitting there not being able to do anything about it except watch your P & L turn to a deep shade of red. Going back a decade or so, you used to be able to set your watch to 3.00 on a Saturday afternoon for the whole site to freeze!!! Unfortunately, they and Bet 365 are covered by their rules and for that reason neither IBAS or the Gambling Commission are ever likely to be interested.  
    I am with VG, i use 365 alot. Pretty much any major event there is normally a period where the app crashes, like i accept it as i prefer using them. However it is still very annoying, not just the cash out i mean it actually crashes alot, always has done. Almost feels like its tactical too or maybe due to the amount of people logging on etc. but far too often imo. 

I would argue, i haven't seen it recently (last month or so IRRC) 
  • Any decent Cheltenham offers out there?
  • Any decent Cheltenham offers out there?
    William hill £10 @ evens for constitution hill
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2023
    Sky doing the usual first race bet.
    Money back in cash on win only or win only part of e/w bets if lose up to max £10.
    Check the t&cs. 
  • Sky doing the usual first race bet.
    Money back in cash on win only or win only part of e/w bets if lose up to max £10.
    Check the t&cs. 
    £5 for me
  • £2 for me, joke!
  • clb74 said:
    Any decent Cheltenham offers out there?
    William hill £10 @ evens for constitution hill
    Done that £10, watch it lose.
  • £2 for me too. How crap
  • £0 for me utter bastards. 
  • Yeah down to £5 for me. Was £20 last year.
  • £5 for me also
  • £2 for me on Skybet too. Must be an algorithm that decides depending on what you stake and whether you’re a winning account. 
  • If that was the case, they should be offering me more.