Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garner’s press conferences and match previews

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Note Leaburn has now become a 'longer term' injury
    The standard Charlton injury progression, from minor strain via complications to "retirement"

😉
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Note Leaburn has now become a 'longer term' injury

One and a half months away was what he said at the player signing on Thursday.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    clive said:
    "We need to show our attacking intent....."

Then perhaps start with more than one striker....or if you must leave one on the bench try bringing him on with more than 15 mins to go 😄.

Our "wide" players have scored more goals than our strikers. We are now relying on CBT (knock) and JRS (inconsistent) to win us games. And our defenders. Perhaps our strikers might want to chip in with a few to help out once in a while. 
    Posts like this after 3 wins on the bounce will make the same points sound weak when they need to be made ;)
    Just bringing it up now so it's not news when we go 5 games without a win because we arent scoring more than the opposition. 

Our "goals for" column looks good (23 in 15) but is skewed by the fact we've scored 12 of those goals in just 3 games (all at home). That means in the other 12 games we've scored 11 goals. 

Our strikers have got

That won't get you promoted. 

But I'm on the wrong thread so I'll leave it there. 
    After today we are top six in the league for goals scored but have the worst goals conceded record (23) in the top half.

We have a problem at one end of the pitch. And it’s not up front!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    mendonca said:
    clive said:

Then perhaps start with more than one striker....or if you must leave one on the bench try bringing him on with more than 15 mins to go 😄.

Our "wide" players have scored more goals than our strikers. We are now relying on CBT (knock) and JRS (inconsistent) to win us games. And our defenders. Perhaps our strikers might want to chip in with a few to help out once in a while. 
    Posts like this after 3 wins on the bounce will make the same points sound weak when they need to be made ;)
    Just bringing it up now so it's not news when we go 5 games without a win because we arent scoring more than the opposition. 

Our "goals for" column looks good (23 in 15) but is skewed by the fact we've scored 12 of those goals in just 3 games (all at home). That means in the other 12 games we've scored 11 goals. 

Our strikers have got

After today we are top six in the league for goals scored but have the worst goals conceded record (23) in the top half.

Not even just the top half, 7 teams in the bottom half have a better defensive record than us as well!
  • Options
    Wasn't the problem at Swindon that they had a poor defence. We are too easy to walk through at times 
  • Options
    Wasn't the problem at Swindon that they had a poor defence. We are too easy to walk through at times 
    Yep, they had the best goal record, but worse defensive record in the top 10 that season.

But something something score more goals from every shot something something 🤷‍♂️ 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    clive said:

Our strikers have got

I disagree.

We might be letting them in but we aren't scoring enough. We might be top 6 for goals scored but we've scored more than half of them in just 5 games, which skews the stats somewhat. 3 would have been enough to beat Plymouth.

Funny that we scored 4 yesterday but only 1 was from a "forward". its unusual to score 4 goals with a striker getting none of them & as I said upthread our 3 strikers still have just 7 goals between them. We have got away recently with defenders scoring - this will not continue. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    clive said:

Our strikers have got

I disagree.

We might be letting them in but we aren't scoring enough. We might be top 6 for goals scored but we've scored more than half of them in just 5 games, which skews the stats somewhat. 3 would have been enough to beat Plymouth.

Funny that we scored 4 yesterday but only 1 was from a "forward". its unusual to score 4 goals with a striker getting none of them & as I said upthread our 3 strikers still have just 7 goals between them. We have got away recently with defenders scoring - this will not continue. 
    I agree. We do score goals in the right circumstances but we saw on Tuesday and until Aneke and CBT came on yesterday that there is an issue. I think a failure to look like you are going to score can put pressure on the defence as they know one mistake can kill you. 
    Agree. Stockley needs dropping. No idea what we have as options but we need a new Plan A. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    I think Man City's problem is they just don't score enough goals. Only beating Leicester 1 nil at the weekend, rubbish. Think about the pressure that puts on their defence!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    clive said:

Our strikers have got

I disagree.

Mad - they can't win can they?

You wanted teams that are capable of beating teams with five, four, three goals.

We have that.

And it's still not good enough.

No team is good enough to score 3+ every single game. It just doesn't happen.
    Dont bother arguing mate... You'll just give yourself a headache
  • Options
    clive said:
    What an idiot... I mean if you're gonna get sent off you've gotta verbally abuse the referee in the process else whats the point.
  • Options
    clive said:
    What an idiot... I mean if you're gonna get sent off you've gotta verbally abuse the referee in the process else whats the point.
    It was all the fourth officials doing that got him booked, and then sent off. The booking was for disagreeing with the foul that led to their 2nd goal. As the booking came Garner kept asking the 4th what that was for...after the third time of asking and getting a cold shoulder, her muttered something beneath his breath and then the 4th got on the blower again and the ref got the 2nd yellow and red out. Even then the ref didn't have the bottle to go over to Garner to show it clearly but turned his back and started writing in his pad. Garner kept asking what was happening and what he had done wrong, but nobody gave him an answer. Hence him being ushered away by Marshall and losing it as he walked along to the tunnel. Garner doesn't really have an answer to what he did as he walked away, swearing at the ref, so best take the punishment and hope it's not a ban...
  • Options
    clive said:
    Interesting comments about Maynard-Brewer, if he's gonna stay here throw him on the bench instead of MacGillivray
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Interesting comments about Maynard-Brewer, if he's gonna stay here throw him on the bench instead of MacGillivray
    Pretty sure he's not allowed to play for us until January. The choice is between going back to Gillingham and fighting for a spot there, or just staying here
  • Options
    Well, at this rate with the injuries, surely they need to consider JFC, it will enhance the match day squad for tne next few games! I am sure they will not want to sacrifice points and lose gate money, as opposed to a player who can score goals from midfield and brings quality into our team. TS eat humble pie and get JFC who could be a potential match winner and could even overhaul Stockley in the goal scoring charts. That is no disrepect to Stockley who is going through a bad patch, but he scored on Saturday so you never know! I have no doubt there is a player in their! Well done the team on Saturday a little bit of momentum going forward event though the injuries are mounting up! Pleased to see Deli, really hope he hit form, as I believe their is another type Gomez/Konsa lets wish him well! 
  • Options
    If TS has been content to sacrifice points & lose gate money for for more than 3 months, it would seem unlikely he will waste those months and now play JFC for the next 8 weeks.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Whenever managers talk about how they want so and so to sign a new contract, that usually means it's not happening...
  • Options
    clive said:
    So does anybody know what was the outcome?
  • Options
    clive said:
    Good luck with the 2 or 3 players in January. Might be a loan or two but cant see TS spending any money & the only players the we signed in the summer were free.....and generally only sign out of contract players in June/July when, well, they are out of contract