Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garner’s press conferences and match previews

Comments

• Options
    Read beyond the boring team news and that is a fascinating article.
    You're not referring to the couple of paragraphs about the museum, are you? :-)
    As it happens, yes.
  • Options
    Creating the chances doesn't tend to be the problem with this team. We are controlling matches outside of both boxes, it's when we're inside of the boxes and you need that little bit of unteachable quality/talent that is missing.

There is a bit of defensive steel and attacking ruthlessness that is missing currently. And I do hope they're working on it but there's ultimately only so much a coach can teach and those qualities are ultimately down to the standard of player more so than the tactics and set-up of the manager IMO.
    Completely- it’s why often touted CBT for example was picked up from Tranmere and isn’t playing at a higher level than us.  For all the promise and threat he shows, there’s very little end product 

Multiply that by Kirk, DJ, Morgan, Fraser, Stockley etc, and ultimately we’re just not good enough 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Creating the chances doesn't tend to be the problem with this team. We are controlling matches outside of both boxes, it's when we're inside of the boxes and you need that little bit of unteachable quality/talent that is missing.

There is a bit of defensive steel and attacking ruthlessness that is missing currently. And I do hope they're working on it but there's ultimately only so much a coach can teach and those qualities are ultimately down to the standard of player more so than the tactics and set-up of the manager IMO.
    Completely- it’s why often touted CBT for example was picked up from Tranmere and isn’t playing at a higher level than us.  For all the promise and threat he shows, there’s very little end product 

Multiply that by Kirk, DJ, Morgan, Fraser, Stockley etc, and ultimately we’re just not good enough 
    It's why, when we're on, we can get results like 5-1 against Plymouth.

Yes they played with 10 men but we still beat them comprehensively. They've since climbed to the top of the league and we embarrassed them.

Firmly believe that the potential is there, we're just too inconsistent when it matters.
  • Options
    Big month ahead then. Need to win at least 3 of those 5 home games with no defeats.

Anything less and we are looking at more lower table mediocrity
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    To be fair to BG, he could go on about us not taking our chances and poor defending but we can see that for ourselves. I'd rather he not talk about it and try to address it, even if I don't blame him for it.
    Out of interest, who would you blame for our inability to create and take chances coupled with our poor defending and the inability to keep a clean sheet?
    The squad didn't have enough goals in it last season and made errors defensively so it was logical we should have focused on improving from that point. Instead we embarked on a new style which to be fair Garner has had a decent stab at against the odds. You have to blame who is responsible for not getting a striker or a centre back in. Maybe Garner has some culpability for that but I doubt it.
  • Options
    Metrics, smetrics don’t win games and yes the odd game you can be the better team and lose or draw but we have 2 wins in 10 and have been poor in a lot of them. I don’t like managers making excuses, just work on the problems and start winning games.
  • Options
    It is like Souhgate saying blame me on the Friday and then blaming the fans and press on the Sunday. If a manager says blame me, then they should mean it. Although I think it is more Sandgaard's fault than Garner's and I suppose he can't criticise his boss so I am more bothered about watching how the team plays than anything he says. Even though it might sound it, it is not intended to be disrespectful to Garner. 
  • Options
    Just. Win. Some. Matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Just. Win. Some. Matches.
    Exactly, that is where we are now. Words are irrelevant at this stage, win some bloody games.
  • Options
    Never a good sign when you're asked about the January window, considering that's over 2.5 months away!
  • Options
    Doesn't read well about the squad
  • Options
    Am glad he's honest without being Bowyer-ranty.
  • Options
    Is Sandgaard a meteorologist now then ?  Garner asking him what January might look like. Cold & damp usually with maybe a bit of light snow. 

Ps. Cant take anyone seriously who shaves their head but then has a beard. Wtf is that all about..???  Not learnt what a razor is for or did he have the instruction manual upside down ?
    Last line was very funny.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Major said:
    mendonca said:
    Agree. And I think he is genuinely trying to get that shower of shite into some formation that works.
    Accused of being inflexible (by some) with the 4-3-3 formation. Now being called 'A tinkerer'. Guy can't win in some quarters.
    Problem is he's got half a team who play 433 and half that play 442, neither half are particularly good at their chosen formation and even worse at the other.

I suspect he'd for a period like to go 442 and drop a number of the 433 players. But then that's likely to lead to the exit door as TS won't like us constantly not playing tippy tappy 433, high press blah blah bl00dy blah.

Guys between a rock and a hard place and he already knows it and the squad aren't likely to be improved much in January, but then sadly my money's on him not being here by then anyway.

I'd give it a massive shake up if I were him.

442 and use the width of the pitch. Get the ball up to Leaburn/Stockley/Aneke (to feet) ASAP (just ask Scholes) or out to the winger to take on the full back, pile in the box and hope for a decent cross. Old school, but effective in this division.
    Where we can get caught is a lack of a true enforcer in the middle, not sure Dobson is really a Kinsella/Pratley type as he can be at times to easily bypassed.

The defence need to take no prisoners, a bit too soft for my liking some of the time.

Time to take a punt;

Wollacott
    Clare Innis Thomas Sessegnon
    Payne Dobson JFC Kirk
    Leaburn Stockley
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Major said:
    mendonca said:
    Agree. And I think he is genuinely trying to get that shower of shite into some formation that works.
    Accused of being inflexible (by some) with the 4-3-3 formation. Now being called 'A tinkerer'. Guy can't win in some quarters.
    Problem is he's got half a team who play 433 and half that play 442, neither half are particularly good at their chosen formation and even worse at the other.

I suspect he'd for a period like to go 442 and drop a number of the 433 players. But then that's likely to lead to the exit door as TS won't like us constantly not playing tippy tappy 433, high press blah blah bl00dy blah.

Guys between a rock and a hard place and he already knows it and the squad aren't likely to be improved much in January, but then sadly my money's on him not being here by then anyway.

I'd give it a massive shake up if I were him.

442 and use the width of the pitch. Get the ball up to Leaburn/Stockley/Aneke (to feet) ASAP (just ask Scholes) or out to the winger to take on the full back, pile in the box and hope for a decent cross. Old school, but effective in this division.
    Where we can get caught is a lack of a true enforcer in the middle, not sure Dobson is really a Kinsella/Pratley type as he can be at times to easily bypassed.

The defence need to take no prisoners, a bit too soft for my liking some of the time.

Time to take a punt;

Wollacott
    Clare Innis Thomas Sessegnon
    Payne Dobson JFC Kirk
    Leaburn Stockley
    I think TS is beyond the point of caring what style of football we play.  He’s stopped tweeting about results, hasn’t come out and said anything about the poor start to the season, so ironically, I think BG is likely to be the safest manager during his tenure.  

The test will come if we start getting turned over consistently and badly.  We were 13 games in when Adkins went last season, but more of the crowd had turned on Adkins than BG.  Given the renewed talk of takeovers in the last few days, I’d say TS has given up and doesn’t care about results or performances, and is going through the motions until the right offer comes in.

the more astute (not me) would’ve called this based on our summer signings.  We’re quite a forgiving punch and new season optimism kicked in and we tried to make the best of a bunch of frees from League 2.  Crazy.  This was on top of the dross that was left over from last season.  

With formations, we might as well try what you suggest.  We might as well stick Inniss up top and go long ball, none of it will make a difference.

The players we have for us now are simply a bunch of names we’ll all quickly forget in the next few years.  
  • Options
    Major said:Guy can't win 

Come on 2 in 12 in this unbelievably tough division is greeeeeat
    just the mighty bottom of the table Morecambe have won less and everyone but second bottom Burton have won more …..
  • Options
    No one is saying it is great but look at the 'Resources' available to him. Silk purse sow's ear springs to mind. I bet even Pep would be challenged.
  • Options
    He has wingers that can't play as wing backs and strikers who can't play on their own. That is his biggest problem. There are options which he is exploring but no guarantee they will work. We have to hope at least one of them does. What I would want to explore is playing Leaburn on the right with a wing back on that side. It is a bit messy admittedly but there are issues with the squad.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Has there been any discussion on the stories coming out of the club about ill discipline in the current squad and while under Adkins/JJ?
  • Options
    If Bungling Garner is serious about keeping his job and even succeeding at Charlton he needs to cut out the bleating halfwit interviews with SLP.  All that copy in the last couple of days confirms him as a witless crybaby.  His compo must be massive if he's trashing his credibility in pursuit of a swift payout.
  • Options
    Garner isn't going to drastically change his style, as he LIKES to play a slow passing game
  • Options
    Surprised to hear him commenting on ill discipline within the squad, needing to fine players to try and get them to toe the line.