Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Live Music at The Valley

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Boss is in London next summer - could do with some extra dates based on how ticket sales have gone!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The stage would probably take up at least a third of the pitch, and therefore a third of the seating attendance.

If this sort of thing happens then I can see it being relatively small scale stuff. Eg - all day teeny bopper festivals made up of YouTube stars and the likes. Basically the stuff that’s popular, but not popular enough to justify the O2 Arena.
    Not necessarily "small scale stuff", a lot of bands like doing stadium tours now, for example The Killers appeared at the Keepmote Stadium in Doncaster. Not sure what the attendance was but it is only around 15k for football. Admittedly they went onto play at The Emirates but they are a big band prepared to play at small stadiums.
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    SamB09 said:
    Why would a band choose to play at the valley over the 02?
    Capacity at the o2 is 20k
    Capacity at the valley for a gig would surely be 35-40, even seated.  The who gig was officially 50k , but unofficially much higher
     No chance whatsoever. It’s not about how many seats you can fit on but whether the infrastructure around the ground can cope safely. Things were very different in the 70s.
    Agreed. A better example would be the attendance at the Elton John concert in 2006 but I have had a quick look but can't find any figures.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    BalladMan said:
    SamB09 said:
    Capacity at the valley for a gig would surely be 35-40, even seated.  The who gig was officially 50k , but unofficially much higher
     No chance whatsoever. It’s not about how many seats you can fit on but whether the infrastructure around the ground can cope safely. Things were very different in the 70s.
    Agreed. A better example would be the attendance at the Elton John concert in 2006 but I have had a quick look but can't find any figures.
    I think it was low 20's ?  
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Rothko said:
    BalladMan said:
    SamB09 said:
    Cause the O2 is mindblowingly expensive to hire, hence why places like Colchester and the St Lawrence Ground get used for gigs 
    How much us is the 02 to hire for a day?
    But you're not hiring for a day, you're hiring for 2 days at a minimum to do build and breakdown. And you won't get change out £150k for that. It's £21k a day to hire the Indigo for example
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    £ & $
  • Options
    I certainly hope the club will do their due diligence on whatever is needed to get this going. It will be interesting to see if it works out. A great idea I think.
  • Options
    Nothing against this but it would be sensible to have the discussion with the council before starting this hare running. The club needs them fully on board or it won’t happen and part of that is managing the local residents’ concerns. Historically it has caused a lot of bad feeling locally. It was regularly raised as a reason to block the return to The Valley in 1992. Is TS even aware of that?

Relations with the council have moved on, but I’m not sure local opinion has. I would guess the licensing arrangements here are different from those in the US. 

I seem to remember that the Toolbox was supposed to host concerts which is why it was originally called the New London Stadium, yet there don’t seem to have been that many. Does that suggest the market isn’t there or they don’t stack up financially?
    Imagine “Addicks to victory!” blasting across the locale on a hot summers evening. Riots have started for much less……….
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Only way we’re getting Lou Reed to play at the Valley!
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Nothing against this but it would be sensible to have the discussion with the council before starting this hare running. The club needs them fully on board or it won’t happen and part of that is managing the local residents’ concerns. Historically it has caused a lot of bad feeling locally. It was regularly raised as a reason to block the return to The Valley in 1992. Is TS even aware of that?

Relations with the council have moved on, but I’m not sure local opinion has. I would guess the licensing arrangements here are different from those in the US. 

I seem to remember that the Toolbox was supposed to host concerts which is why it was originally called the New London Stadium, yet there don’t seem to have been that many. Does that suggest the market isn’t there or they don’t stack up financially?
    Imagine “Addicks to victory!” blasting across the locale on a hot summers evening. Riots have started for much less……….

The locals get a free concert.

If they really can't stand it and hate any sort of "noise", then perhaps they should move to the country side and away from a football stadium.

They'd certainly have the money to do so.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    First band to play on the Valley Pitch could be Loose Ends 1965 before Coventry Home game.
    Not to be confused with the band of the same name in the 80’s.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Very popular local band……the vocalist Alan Marshall was particularly good.
    Originated from Bexley.
    Very surprising and disappointing that they as a band or him as a vocalist didn’t go on to the bigger and better things that they unquestionably deserved.
    The only member of the band that went on to any renown of note, was the drummer Alan Whitehand, who joined Marmalade with whom he had some quite reasonable chart success.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    First band to play on the Valley Pitch could be Loose Ends 1965 before Coventry Home game.
    Not to be confused with the band of the same name in the 80’s.
    I think the Coldstream Guards played before that.
  • Options
    O2 holds about 20k right? The Valley, minus the JS (where the stage would go) plus the floor, maybe 30k? So you'd be targeting people who can sell out the O2, but can't sell out Wembley Stadium, who want to have a concert in London but don't want it to be in an easily accessible part of London (Chelsea, West Ham) and who don't mind a Stadium that isn't brand new (Brentford, Spurs)

Seems like it's a waste of time even talking about if you ask me
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    O2 holds about 20k right? The Valley, minus the JS (where the stage would go) plus the floor, maybe 30k? So you'd be targeting people who can sell out the O2, but can't sell out Wembley Stadium, who want to have a concert in London but don't want it to be in an easily accessible part of London (Chelsea, West Ham) and who don't mind a Stadium that isn't brand new (Brentford, Spurs)

Seems like it's a waste of time even talking about if you ask me

Fair points mate but still, there's no harm in trying.

The club can use TS' rock an roll background to it's advantage.

If not, then the weird songs he has made is  a complete waste of time and effort.

I know that's not our problem, but remember, if he's happy, then he's more likely to put more effort towards improving the club in the right way.