Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Says Elton John played in 2006 I can’t remember that. 
  • Options
    Says Elton John played in 2006 I can’t remember that. 
    Yeah, seats on the pitch etc, all very civilised, not like The Who
  • Options
    After about 6 pints in the Oak one night I asked Sandgaard what the chances were of bringing his beloved Metallica to The Valley.

His answer was that “nothing is off the table”.
  • Options
    These are programmes I have from the 3 previous music concerts at The Valley

As always plenty more Charlton programmes can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/albums
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Nothing against this but it would be sensible to have the discussion with the council before starting this hare running. The club needs them fully on board or it won’t happen and part of that is managing the local residents’ concerns. Historically it has caused a lot of bad feeling locally. It was regularly raised as a reason to block the return to The Valley in 1992. Is TS even aware of that?

Relations with the council have moved on, but I’m not sure local opinion has. I would guess the licensing arrangements here are different from those in the US. 

I seem to remember that the Toolbox was supposed to host concerts which is why it was originally called the New London Stadium, yet there don’t seem to have been that many. Does that suggest the market isn’t there or they don’t stack up financially?
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Whoever gets booked I have a feeling I know who the support act will be…………

Yes, it's definitely going to be the spice girls 
  • Options
    Nice little earner for Duchatelet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Went to both Who concerts and Elton's. Bring it on. Of course there should be conditions, but RBG should jump at the chance and would make them some wonga and good publicity for the Borough too.

• Options
    Nothing against this but it would be sensible to have the discussion with the council before starting this hare running. The club needs them fully on board or it won’t happen and part of that is managing the local residents’ concerns. Historically it has caused a lot of bad feeling locally. It was regularly raised as a reason to block the return to The Valley in 1992. Is TS even aware of that?

Relations with the council have moved on, but I’m not sure local opinion has. I would guess the licensing arrangements here are different from those in the US. 

I seem to remember that the Toolbox was supposed to host concerts which is why it was originally called the New London Stadium, yet there don’t seem to have been that many. Does that suggest the market isn’t there or they don’t stack up financially?
    Yep, I've posted in the other thread so won't repeat that here, but there are a handful of well-connected local miseries who could make life difficult at any licence application - there's a residents' group nearby that has outsized influence in local decision making, partly because of links within local politics. (One of them was very unhappy about the mural opposite the station.)

Live music's an expensive endeavour - I do wonder if the costs stack up. 
  • Options
    Why would a band choose to play at the valley over the 02?
  • Options
    Why would the money go to RD?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Why would the money go to RD?

Because the whole Sandgaard ownership has been a rous for Tommy to get a stadium gig. Duchatelet agreed to it on the proviso:

a) he gets a cut of the takings
    b) he plays lead keyboard ( he binned off Powell after Chris asked him to stop impromptu Yamaha recitals on the team bus)
    c) gets second dibs on groupies

Read a rumour on twtitter that's what the contract details and would explain a lot.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

• Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    Liam Gallagher loves performing and certainly isn't shy of it.

He lives in London. 

If this is going to happen then he would be the best option 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Capacity at the o2 is 20k
    Capacity at the valley for a gig would surely be 35-40, even seated.  The who gig was officially 50k , but unofficially much higher
  • Options
    Seen as VFR was originally a Beatles track ...I believe Liam Gallagher way warm to that if he would like to belt that one out.

He can also take the piss out of the club on the mic. 

An indicator that at least someone remembers us 😔
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gigspy

*First, and more than likely last valley artist announced*

• Options
    BalladMan said:
    SamB09 said:
    Capacity at the valley for a gig would surely be 35-40, even seated.  The who gig was officially 50k , but unofficially much higher
     No chance whatsoever. It’s not about how many seats you can fit on but whether the infrastructure around the ground can cope safely. Things were very different in the 70s.
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    SamB09 said:
    doubt it would be any bigger than is allowed for the football 
  • Options
    The stage would probably take up at least a third of the pitch, and therefore a third of the seating attendance.

If this sort of thing happens then I can see it being relatively small scale stuff. Eg - all day teeny bopper festivals made up of YouTube stars and the likes. Basically the stuff that’s popular, but not popular enough to justify the O2 Arena.
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    SamB09 said:
     No chance whatsoever. It’s not about how many seats you can fit on but whether the infrastructure around the ground can cope safely. Things were very different in the 70s.

If there was a 30k + audience for live music at the valley, what do you believe is the worst that could happen?

There are certain risks during large gatherings of live performances anywhere, but it doesn't stop it from going ahead.

I suppose you just learn as you go along. 

There would be a lot of mess to clear up at the end. 
    Giant half drunk crowds wedged together at Charlton train station would propose some risks.

There are always risks though. Including every home game we play.
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    SamB09 said:
    Cause the O2 is mindblowingly expensive to hire, hence why places like Colchester and the St Lawrence Ground get used for gigs 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dave2l said:
    BalladMan said:
    SamB09 said:

If there was a 30k + audience for live music at the valley, what do you believe is the worst that could happen?

There are certain risks during large gatherings of live performances anywhere, but it doesn't stop it from going ahead.

I suppose you just learn as you go along. 

There would be a lot of mess to clear up at the end. 
    Giant half drunk crowds wedged together at Charlton train station would propose some risks.

There are always risks though. Including every home game we play.
    There is a huge level of planning and consideration from the emergency services and local authority behind staging football matches at The Valley which sits under the safety certificate and is based on maximum attendance, evacuation procedures and emergency protocols. It is tried and tested.
    Risk is therefore managed to an acceptable level. 

Once you increase the crowd, introduce different rules and behaviour, and put them on the pitch it’s a whole new (ball) game. That’s before you consider that the stadium would likely be three-sided and the stage would be on the pitch. The police would say, what happens if there is a bomb scare or a fire - how do people get to a place of safety? That’s their job in conjunction with the fire and ambulance service and the council must decide what number is safe based on that advice.

Literally, they ask “what’s the worse that could happen” and plan for it. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Seen as VFR was originally a Beatles track ...I believe Liam Gallagher way warm to that if he would like to belt that one out.

He can also take the piss out of the club on the mic. 

An indicator that at least someone remembers us 😔
    Not quite!
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    BalladMan said:
    SamB09 said:
    Cause the O2 is mindblowingly expensive to hire, hence why places like Colchester and the St Lawrence Ground get used for gigs 
    How much us is the 02 to hire for a day?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Liam Gallagher loves performing and certainly isn't shy of it.

He lives in London. 

If this is going to happen then he would be the best option 

Alan White will be up for it as an addick and Noel and Bonehead will follow suit.  In fact this will be the catalyst that reforms the greatest band of all time. 

Well done Thomas.