Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles signs a three year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    From the same website, the highest paid players across the league (includes loan players like Cosgrove and Mumba at Plymouth on loan from Birmingham and Norwich respectively).

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-one/highest-paid/
    Most Pompey players are comparable to our squad or lower. Colby Bishop is their highest owned player at £5,400 and worth the money.

Wycombe have a lower wage bill too

Brannagan from the list above is a good player, but I'm surprised Oxford can afford to pay him so much on their income
  • Options
    He was bought so TS could sell Dobbo for a profit. 
    He may be all the rage at CUFC but not for me. 
  • Options
    Jack Payne cannot be on over £5K.a.week. That would be madness.
  • Options
    Wonder if we included an addon fee in the loan deal, on the condition of them staying up
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Scoham said:
    Set up the first goal for today's win and his 5th assist of the season at Cambridge. Huge part of Cambridge staying up (at the expense of MK Dons which is hilarious) since he got back to fitness. We haven't seen him properly as a Charlton player yet. 2 years left on his deal, I hope Holden can find a place for him
    There’s an argument for releasing Morgan with McGrandles taking his place in the squad. If properly backed we should then bring in a first choice CM with McGrandles offering competition for places.
    Certainly a fair argument, but based on what I've seen so far I'd be looking to keep Morgan who is younger & fitter and try to get a fee for McG so long as it can be re-invested into a better player for Morgan to compete with. We all know it by now but every manager reverts to Morgan when they don't have better - which seems obvious, but so many don't get it.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Set up the first goal for today's win and his 5th assist of the season at Cambridge. Huge part of Cambridge staying up (at the expense of MK Dons which is hilarious) since he got back to fitness. We haven't seen him properly as a Charlton player yet. 2 years left on his deal, I hope Holden can find a place for him
    There’s an argument for releasing Morgan with McGrandles taking his place in the squad. If properly backed we should then bring in a first choice CM with McGrandles offering competition for places.
    Certainly a fair argument, but based on what I've seen so far I'd be looking to keep Morgan who is younger & fitter and try to get a fee for McG so long as it can be re-invested into a better player for Morgan to compete with. We all know it by now but every manager reverts to Morgan when they don't have better - which seems obvious, but so many don't get it.
    I imagine it comes down to interest in both, their expectations of playing time and wages. Important to make the most of the budget when there’s probably little between them.

Managers have reverted to Morgan, but that’s more about poor recruitment than him being a top but underrated player.
  • Options
    I don't disagree with any of that. If funds aren't a problem we should replace both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    I find it funny how McGrandles was written off after only a handful of games when he was coming back from injury, but Morgan has been playing since Christ was a carpenter and people are still advocating we give him more time.

Bizarre.
    It’s funny that McGrandles has been a lot better since he hasn’t played for us .  And when he did , he was awful . 
  • Options
    I think in his first 5 odd games he had concussion and broke his hand/wrist and many of our fans had written him off by then.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    I know you can’t judge a player on a pre season game, but he looked superb in the Swansea pre season game and I was really excited to see him. Then he got injured, came back too soon and Charlton fans did their usual thing of judging a half fit player in half an hour.

He has been superb for Cambridge by all accounts and is an all action midfielder who won’t stop running. We need a bit more of that steel about us. Far too easy at the moment for teams to get through us!

I hope he wants to make a go of it and Holden gives him that chance
    McGrandles game isn't primarily about steel though. He may have played defensive roles, but I think he prefers being further up the pitch
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Off_it said:
    I find it funny how McGrandles was written off after only a handful of games when he was coming back from injury, but Morgan has been playing since Christ was a carpenter and people are still advocating we give him more time.

Bizarre.
    It’s funny that McGrandles has been a lot better since he hasn’t played for us .  And when he did , he was awful . 
    When he was playing his first few games after an injury lay-off you mean?
    Indeed, he might be excellent . But none of us have seen any evidence of it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Off_it said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Off_it said:

Bizarre.
    When he was playing his first few games after an injury lay-off you mean?
    Indeed, he might be excellent . But none of us have seen any evidence of it 
    Well, I saw him play quite a few games for Lincoln and he looked pretty decent. Not in the same league as Messi, but above average for this division. Certainly better in those games then most of the shit I've seen play for us this season.
  • Options
    What's the feedback from Cambridge?
  • Options
    Worth giving him a chance and i'm glad he's done well at Cambridge, no hiding he was shockingly poor for us earlier in the season though 
  • Options
    Worth giving him a chance and i'm glad he's done well at Cambridge, no hiding he was shockingly poor for us earlier in the season though 
    Played 9 games for us - hard to make much of a judgement. Did well at Camb U so obviously can play at this level.
  • Options
    Sounds positive.
  • Options
    Would give him another look in preseason, clean slate see what he can offer because those are very very positive reports from Cambridge. 
  • Options
    I would like the club to give him a chance. Up until Jackson took over after Adkin’s, everyone had wrote Dobson off, he wasn’t even in the squad. Jackson gave him an opportunity and the rest is history.
    There must be a player in there somewhere, he has done at this level with Cambridge and Lincoln 
  • Options
    Think he's proven he's got the right character to unify the squad and club, a good leader, able to motivate, relatable. Whether he's successful will depend on what he has to work with in terms of squad, coaching staff and management structure.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Albie Morgan would not have gone on loan to Cambridge and been as influential as him, can't imagine either of them bossing the midfield against Peterborough.
    The Albie Morgan that totally bossed the midfield against Plymouth?  😉

If McGrandles is here next season, imo, depends on why he went out on loan.  Holden not rate him, a bit of a dick head, had to reduce the wage budget, really wanted Kilkenny to have a good look for next season, it could be any number, or combination of reasons.  

It doesn't matter if we have, or haven't, written him off prematurely.  Holden knows why he went out on loan amd I suspect that will influence what happens in the summer.