Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles signs a three year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I really get the feeling we're gonna go with something like this 4-2-3-1:

Wollacott
    Egbo - Innis - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    4231 with an immobile centre forward .. sounds very Karl Robinson and this team doesn’t have Ricky Holmes 
     I didn't suggest we should, merely that I have a feeling we might. 
    I thought Garner was all about fluidity - 4231 is about as rigid as it gets, hence hardly any good teams have ever used it . 
    It's used less regularly now due to the decline of the classic 10 in modern football but 4231 was all the rage in the 2000s and it's still in use now regularly. Guardiola used it constantly in the last couple of seasons, Hansi Flick often uses it at Bayern. To be honest, what you've said about 4231 isn't really accurate as it's sufficiiently flexible that you can often argue that a 4231 is a 433 depending on how the 10 is asked to play the game and your perception. There's also so much more work being done on shape out of possession as well that a 4231 is rarely that without the ball, an indicator of the fact it's quite fluid. You can play a 4231 with a narrow winger who almost plays as a second striker and an advanced full back, you can play a very advanced 10 who runs beyond the striker etc. There's too much focus on what exactly a formation is anyway to be honest, they're just a way of writing down roughly where a player is for a match write up, there's not much value in quibbling over what's a 433 and what's a 4231.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Fraser in for CBT for me, but that team looks mustard to me... really looking forward to this season
    Fraser for Kirk and a more mobile striker in for stockley and it is looking half decent I think although I’ve hardly seen any of our new signings play and people on here who’s views im basing it on have tended to overrate our incomings in the past - maybe switch Fraser and paynes positions - Fraser looks like hd would operate best in the middle 
    Part of the reason Ipswich didn’t get the best out of Fraser was because at times they played him on the left wing, as you say he’s more suited to the middle. 
    yep - get the ball into frazer as much as possible, let him use his touch and guile to draw players in and then spray the ball around - minimize the running without the ball that he has to do  
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    4231 with an immobile centre forward .. sounds very Karl Robinson and this team doesn’t have Ricky Holmes 
    I thought Garner was all about fluidity - 4231 is about as rigid as it gets, hence hardly any good teams have ever used it . 
    Is this a whoosh... Ok I'm just gonna say it anyway. Loads of great teams play this formation and its variations. Look who won the Champions League this year.
    They play 433, as do Liverpool and Man City
    They both play 4231, 433, 4123, 3421, 451, depending on what transition they're in. As has been said many times, it's variations on the same formation. Arguing the difference between 433 and 4231 is nuanced and interesting for sure, but I can't agree that one is rigid and one is fluid, they're practically yards from each other and interchange constantly.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Is this a whoosh... Ok I'm just gonna say it anyway. Loads of great teams play this formation and its variations. Look who won the Champions League this year.
    They both play 4231, 433, 4123, 3421, 451, depending on what transition they're in. As has been said many times, it's variations on the same formation. Arguing the difference between 433 and 4231 is nuanced and interesting for sure, but I can't agree that one is rigid and one is fluid, they're practically yards from each other and interchange constantly.
    Yeah but all these players under 40 only understand 442 none of these fancy new formations..........

I wonder if JFC and Aneke, two of our oldest players, have EVER played for a professional team that regularly play 442?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Still nervous that Dobson may be sold
    I don’t think so… he was good last year but he still gets occasional rushes of blood that leave him charging into a challenge and then out of position. He’s not ready for the second tier yet IMO.

We don’t have another player like him. Forster-Caskey far more likely to leave to make room…
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley

When Liverpool are on top against most opposition they go with 2-5-3 as Trent and Robertson end up further forward. This just manifests as the Weaker teams retreat.
    Van Dijk and his fellow CB cover everywhere as Trent AA is given licence to show his midfield skills.
    As for Man city when a false 9 is played about Six players take turns in getting in the box. With Haaland coming in they got rid of twinkle toes to Chelsea.

This probably won't be the last time I say it but most formations are very fluid now and  the Sean Dyche formation of 4-4-2 in possession and 4-4-1-1 out of possession which saw them work their way up from League 1 to the Premier may be passe now but most fashions are cylinical and with the 16 player game now the evolution of formations  continue. Of course if both team play the same way then it can still negate each other as it always has.

Back to McGrandles I assume he is doing his pre season now and will be about 3 weeks off from playing ?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    So, how do you pronounce his name? 

1) To rhyme with candles
    2) As 3 syllables - Mc Grand (English pronunciation) Lez
    3) As 3 syllables - Mc Grand (French pronunciation) Lez
    4) As 3 syllables - Mc Grand (French) Lay
    5) Something else
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Mc-grand-alls I assume?  Like the end rhyming with handles.
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-striker-injury-update-as-boss-hopeful-midfielder-can-make-speedy-return/

“Conor McGrandles, we’re just waiting on a cast for him. Hoping that will be quicker than expected, in terms of his return to play. I would like to think he’d be back in the next fortnight, maybe even sooner."
  • Options
    So, how do you pronounce his name? 

1) To rhyme with candles
    2) As 3 syllables - Mc Grand (English pronunciation) Lez
    3) As 3 syllables - Mc Grand (French pronunciation) Lez
    4) As 3 syllables - Mc Grand (French) Lay
    5) Something else
    6) McGrandles (Scottish)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard someone call him Mc Love handles. Is he carrying timber? I haven't seen him play..
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-striker-injury-update-as-boss-hopeful-midfielder-can-make-speedy-return/

“Conor McGrandles, we’re just waiting on a cast for him. Hoping that will be quicker than expected, in terms of his return to play. I would like to think he’d be back in the next fortnight, maybe even sooner."
    Blaming our supporters trust for the delay is harsh
  • Options
    Out for another 'good period of time' according to the Gaffer. This season will be a write off for him.
  • Options
    I'll remind everyone what my Lincoln supporting mate said about McGrandles:

”Serviceable. Injured a lot towards the end of the season.... An unspectacular midfielder.”

Barely serviceable for us so far, but certainly both injured a lot and unspectacular.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Out for another 'good period of time' according to the Gaffer. This season will be a write off for him.
    Good for JFC, will Thomas have to cough up for that alleged pay rise?
  • Options
    Did he get injured at the weekend? 
  • Options
    I'll remind everyone what my Lincoln supporting mate said about McGrandles:

”Serviceable. Injured a lot towards the end of the season.... An unspectacular midfielder.”

Barely serviceable for us so far, but certainly both injured a lot and unspectacular.
    Bet he gets everything right!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I dunno, probably improve his match stats
  • Options
    In terms of the quality he has (not) shown so far we won’t miss him but it’s another body down in an already meagre squad. What the f… is it about this club and injuries?
  • Options
    I have a bit of a soft spot for McGangles. He's been comedically unlucky with injuries since he signed and has been hopelessly poor when given the opportunity so would love him to turn it round.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This must open the door for JFC.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    I have a bit of a soft spot for McGangles. He's been comedically unlucky with injuries since he signed and has been hopelessly poor when given the opportunity so would love him to turn it round.
    I think he will
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Nah, probably more time for Albie
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Richard J said:
    That's exactly what will happen - McGrandles and JFC are both more Dobson style players as far as I can tell so unless something happens to GD I can't imagine JFC will get much gametime
  • Options
    Albie is ahead of McGrandles, but McGrandles has regularly been on the bench, so that's a space up for grabs. If JFC is still "unaffordable" then presumably Henry will be next in line.
  • Options
    Worst player I’ve seen since that French goalie.might as well try him in goal because his useless in middle of oark. 
  • Options
    Bit of a strange one with McGrandles, I saw plenty of him at Lincoln and he looked a very good player and so I was very happy when we signed him. For whatever reason it's not worked out here yet but I wouldn't completely write him off. 
  • Options
    having seen him play I'm more bothered he's another one on a 3 year deal
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Richard J said:
    That's exactly what will happen - McGrandles and JFC are both more Dobson style players as far as I can tell so unless something happens to GD I can't imagine JFC will get much gametime
    Not exactly. JFC is more of a playmaker than Dobson. But he also likes to sit deep so I don't think Dobson and JFC would fit in a 3 man midfield. In 442 or a diamond , JFC would play in advance of Dobson, but we don't see that very often with Garner.

Maybe we will find out tonight.
  • Options