Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles (2024 edit - Rejoins Lincoln page 23)+++

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    I’m quite excited about our options in central midfield.

In tougher games we can play both Dobson and McGrandles with one of Fraser or Payne (assuming JFC moves on).

We shouldn’t lack legs and ability to tackle in the middle, and that’s not something you usually associate with a third tier side focussed on possession.

We can also have a more attacking and creative midfield by playing both Fraser and Payne together with one other.

It's so much better having these kind of options. We've previously just had first choice players and then 'squad players.' Now we've got actual competition for places and people who can offer something different. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

In tougher games we can play both Dobson and McGrandles with one of Fraser or Payne (assuming JFC moves on).

We shouldn’t lack legs and ability to tackle in the middle, and that’s not something you usually associate with a third tier side focussed on possession.

We can also have a more attacking and creative midfield by playing both Fraser and Payne together with one other.
    Most definitely. Having this kind of flexibility for the uglier away games (I'm thinking Bolton, Sheff Wed...) will be huge.
  • Options
    Not too dissimilar build to Andy Robertson. In fact much taller. He seems to handle himself ok!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:

It's so much better having these kind of options. We've previously just had first choice players and then 'squad players.' Now we've got actual competition for places and people who can offer something different. 
    When was the last time we genuinely had 5 or 6 players competing for 3 positions, where if you asked 10 people you would get 7 or 8 permeations?

Exciting isn't it?  I we could have that on the front 3 as well, well.......... 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I really get the feeling we're gonna go with something like this 4-2-3-1:

Wollacott
    Egbo - Innis - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
  • Options
    Lavelle interchangeable with Innis

DJ with CBT

Kirk with Clayden 😕

Stockley with Aneke 😕
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lavelle interchangeable with Innis

DJ with CBT

Kirk with Clayden 😕

Stockley with Aneke 😕

I would add an emoji to the end of the first two as well.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Really think Fraser will be in the starting 11
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:

When was the last time we genuinely had 5 or 6 players competing for 3 positions, where if you asked 10 people you would get 7 or 8 permeations?

Exciting isn't it?  I we could have that on the front 3 as well, well.......... 
    I agree it is exciting. We are starting to see a decent squad with some depth. I think it might take a few games to gel but I really do think we might be surprised this season and mount a serious challenge
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Or will he rotate with Payne?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mart77 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Or will he rotate with Payne?
    Perhaps but I think Garner will try and play both.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Fraser in for CBT for me, but that team looks mustard to me... really looking forward to this season
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Fraser in for CBT for me, but that team looks mustard to me... really looking forward to this season
    Fraser for Kirk and a more mobile striker in for stockley and it is looking half decent I think although I’ve hardly seen any of our new signings play and people on here who’s views im basing it on have tended to overrate our incomings in the past - maybe switch Fraser and paynes positions - Fraser looks like hd would operate best in the middle 
  • Options
    Still nervous that Dobson may be sold
  • Options
    He's got rather spindly legs. Fear they could snap in a tough tackle.
    Like a pair of McGrandles off a McGrirthday Cake
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    4231 with an immobile centre forward .. sounds very Karl Robinson and this team doesn’t have Ricky Holmes 
  • Options
    The three behind Stockley would be CBT, Fraser and Payne for me.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    4231 with an immobile centre forward .. sounds very Karl Robinson and this team doesn’t have Ricky Holmes 
     I didn't suggest we should, merely that I have a feeling we might. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Fraser for Kirk and a more mobile striker in for stockley and it is looking half decent I think although I’ve hardly seen any of our new signings play and people on here who’s views im basing it on have tended to overrate our incomings in the past - maybe switch Fraser and paynes positions - Fraser looks like hd would operate best in the middle 
    Part of the reason Ipswich didn’t get the best out of Fraser was because at times they played him on the left wing, as you say he’s more suited to the middle. 
  • Options
    Is he ready to train yet?
    he’s still out injured from what I’ve read 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    I thought Garner was all about fluidity - 4231 is about as rigid as it gets, hence hardly any good teams have ever used it . 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    I thought Garner was all about fluidity - 4231 is about as rigid as it gets, hence hardly any good teams have ever used it . 
    IMO it is easy to get stuck in formation speak. I would write it down as playing two defensive midfielders in front of a back four, but then it is about how you then play. Two DMF gives cover for pushing a wing back up that could make it three up front, or if one moves to cover it could be a diamond in midfield.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Is this a whoosh... Ok I'm just gonna say it anyway. Loads of great teams play this formation and its variations. Look who won the Champions League this year.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Is he ready to train yet?
    he’s still out injured from what I’ve read 
    I think that was what the 'coming soon' was about. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Is this a whoosh... Ok I'm just gonna say it anyway. Loads of great teams play this formation and it's variations. Look who won the Champions League this year.
    It's almost like rigid Man City have just signed to players so they can play 4231 as well..........

Personally I think it will be 433, but there isn't really much difference.

Charlton fans, generally, are scared of 4231 because we had 2 managers that for different reasons shoehorned some unsuitable players into it and results picked up after they left and we played something different.

That says more about the suitability of the players to the system than the system itself.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Is this a whoosh... Ok I'm just gonna say it anyway. Loads of great teams play this formation and it's variations. Look who won the Champions League this year.
    It's almost like rigid Man City have just signed to players so they can play 4231 as well..........

Charlton fans, generally, are scared of 4231 because we had 2 managers that for different reasons shoehorned some unsuitable players into it and results picked up after they left and we played something different.

That says more about the suitability of the players to the system than the system itself.
    I think you could probably write an algorithm to judge how well the season is going based by how many people on here are saying we should be playing 442.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley

I think you could probably write an algorithm to judge how well the season is going based by how many people on here are saying we should be playing 442.
    With bonus points for nippy strikers?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley
    Is this a whoosh... Ok I'm just gonna say it anyway. Loads of great teams play this formation and its variations. Look who won the Champions League this year.
    They play 433, as do Liverpool and Man City
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Wollacott
    Dobson - McGrandles
    B.Taylor - Payne - Kirk 
    Stockley

I want to like and LOL that, very true.

Just imagine the reaction if we concede early on by making a mistake playing out from the back. Some will be demanding the entire system and style are scrapped as we “need to keep it simple”, despite the majority of this squad likely playing in variants of 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 throughout their teenage years.