Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Marques joins from Swindon as First Team Analyst

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    If I really wanted to get into the industry as a young lad, I would have tried whatever I could to get my foot in the door. 

Instead you're now messaging a business professional with just shy of 10 years experience in my chosen field.

So now, no. When I was younger, probably had I still been living at home.
    (I moved out at 17 and earned an apprentice salary in my first year as a fitness instructor earning far less than minimum wage).
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    If I really wanted to get into the industry as a young lad, I would have tried whatever I could to get my foot in the door. 

Instead you're now messaging a business professional with just shy of 10 years experience in my chosen field.

So now, no. When I was younger, probably had I still been living at home.
    (I moved out at 17 and earned an apprentice salary in my first year as a fitness instructor earning far less than minimum wage).
    Has always been thus for some industries - back in the 1970s I had my first full time job in the exciting world of marine insurance. I also played in a band - the guitarist "worked" in a recording studio. I asked him what the money was like and he said there was none and that he just got tea, biscuits and free recording time in the studio. I remember thinking at the time that there didn't seem much of a career path there. Roll forward a decade and I was still in insurance (albeit had moved onto the even more exciting world of life assurance) and he was a top record producer earning a hell of a lot more than I was ever going to do. 

As you say, not everyone is that fortunate or prepared to take a gamble in doing so. Good luck to them if they are. I wouldn't mind betting that they end up a lot happier than most simply because they are doing something they love to do.
  • Options
    Some people seem to think they are owed a living just for getting out of bed in the morning, some industries this can be a huge handicap for achievement-i guess some people just don’t have any vision.
  • Options
    We seem to have an endless supply of toxic fans.
  • Options
    He was an intern at Swindon.... 

Not quite so shocking now is it? 

• Options
    Lot of intern work in football is unpaid.  Mate of CatJnr has just spent a year working for one of the county FAs free and gratis during sandwich year for sports management degree.  He's made loads of contacts in the game which hopefully will help him when he graduates
  • Options
    Quite common in business to take an Intern position without pay.  It's not exactly ethical but lots of organisations do it - but usually for 3 - 6 months not a whole year.  Its usually organisations where people are falling over each other to get in because there is potentially lots of money to be made OR it's a job in an industry (like football) where lots of people want to work.  It enables the organisation to assess the people "hands on" and for them to show their enthusiam - it often leads to paid positions.  Some are now offering basic salaries and expenses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interns should be paid, legally!
    Anybody who works is entitled by law to the minimum wage, certainly in America anybody working for a company aiming to make a profit even as an ‘intern’ should be paid by law, I think it is the same over here. Mr Sandgaard will know the employment rules in America.
    The job having been advertised makes it not a voluntary position.
    Now I supposed it could be couched as an educational opportunity (for which many students pay out north of £9,000 a year, or having a driving lesson at £40 a pop), but such arrangements are subject to regulations.
    Where might all this lead? The NHS being totally run by St John’s Ambulance volunteers?
  • Options
    They need to be careful, there are only certain circumstances where you don't have to pay the minimum wage for interns, some of the advert makes me believe they will need to pay.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-rights-for-interns
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Anybody who works is entitled by law to the minimum wage, certainly in America anybody working for a company aiming to make a profit even as an ‘intern’ should be paid by law, I think it is the same over here. Mr Sandgaard will know the employment rules in America.
    Now I supposed it could be couched as an educational opportunity (for which many students pay out north of £9,000 a year, or having a driving lesson at £40 a pop), but such arrangements are subject to regulations.
    Where might all this lead? The NHS being totally run by St John’s Ambulance volunteers?
    That's not true. How do you think other volunteer roles are advertised?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    That's not true. How do you think other volunteer roles are advertised?
    I suppose (other) voluntary roles are not described as an internship.
  • Options
    Here's a few voluntary internships all advertised slightly differently. 

Note the Aspinall are giving each intern one day per week. 

• Options
    Looks like there may be a lack of clarity as to the actual difference between a volunteer and an intern.
  • Options
    Surely it’s up to an individual what remuneration they’re happy to work for why should they be held accountable to some randoms on the Internet?
    No, it's not, which is why we have minimum wage legislation in an attempt to prevent people being exploited.
    Jeez ok!
     I was just having a chat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spent last season as Head of Performance Analysis at Bromley.
  • Options
    Spent last season as Head of Performance Analysis at Bromley.
    It's a sign of the times that a non moneybags NL side would have a performance analyst!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    "Very exited" - blimey he's leaving already  ;)
  • Options
    Garner’s analyst Jake Marques has gone - he’s got a promotion to Head of Analysis at Crawley.

• Options
    Crawley is the new enclave for former Swindon staff

Scott Lindsey as manager, and he brought his captain Ben Gladwin with him from Swindon
  • Options
    Crawley is the new enclave for former Swindon staff

Scott Lindsey as manager, and he brought his captain Ben Gladwin with him from Swindon
    That’ll be the link then, makes sense.
  • Options
    A club run worse than us!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Garner’s analyst Jake Marques has gone - he’s got a promotion to Head of Analysis at Crawley.

Is this a promotion?
  • Options
    No, but he doesn't have to work for the Sandgaards any more. A win for him!