Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: England vs Hungary 4th, Germany 7th, Italy 11th and Hungary 14th June 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    England started off slowly and now we are falling away. The players look like they just want a holiday.
    Can't blame them, 2 weeks since the PL season finished, you can see from the results elsewhere which countries are taking the Nations League seriously
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    None of them were really up for it. Just going through the motions. Can’t blame them, it’s been a crap two years to be a footballer with little to no breaks.
  • Options
    Our last game is 14 June. Most premier league clubs reports back for pre-season training on 4 July, and apparently Ten Hag wants United players back a week before that. The scheduling is crazy.
  • Options
    This is making our Nations League campaign a challenge now.

Need something from Italy | Germany now I think if we at least want to avoid relegation.

Dont forget that this competition can dictate how Quali for the Euros gets setup
  • Options
    massive wake up call. For both players and management. Bigger picture glad it’s happened.
  • Options
    It was so boring that I started tidying up
  • Options
    Love international football, but they should have scrapped the nation leagues this year. Fixture list is crazy. 
  • Options
    Just read the thread title again. There are more of these games? Why? Just why?
  • Options
    The usual international periods would have 2 games each in March, June, September, October and November
    This year there were 2 in March then there are 4 in June and 2 in September, nothing then until the World Cup in November.
    So 2 games have been removed and 2 games forward from later in the year.

But ultimately, as with every other decision in football it’s about money, not player welfare.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Just read the thread title again. There are more of these games? Why? Just why?
    Money. But ultimately frendlies will always take place. That reeked of players going through the motions after a long season. In fact KDB said as much last night after losing 4-1. France got beat as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    in my opinion Football exceeded saturation point years ago. It’s getting like N.American sports with just too many games and too many televised. No doubt some still have time to watch everything but, personally, I don’t and the net result is I hardly every watch matches these days, unless it’s Charlton, because it’s hard to pick an choose which ones to watch. 
  • Options
    in my opinion Football exceeded saturation point years ago. It’s getting like N.American sports with just too many games and too many televised. No doubt some still have time to watch everything but, personally, I don’t and the net result is I hardly every watch matches these days, unless it’s Charlton, because it’s hard to pick an choose which ones to watch. 
    Cricket is the same. It’s all a bit NBA definitely. Too much to keep up with at times.
  • Options
    Mount and Bowen, need I say more?

No quality in the line up and it showed. 
  • Options
    I don't watch enough Premier League football to know who the alternatives are, but I thought Bowen played okay?   
  • Options
    I don't watch enough Premier League football to know who the alternatives are, but I thought Bowen played okay?   
    Same mate. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Mount and Bowen, need I say more?

No quality in the line up and it showed. 
    You genuinely cannot believe that. Even your most hardcore Millwall fan would admit that Declan Rice is one of the best players in the premier league. Jude Bellingham is probably one of the hottest talents in world football. 

A spoiler for everyone. Sterling will start opening game. Bowen could score 100 in first 10 matches. Sterling is starting in Qatar. Just an opportunity to see what other players can do, when we have 4 matches in two weeks.

Players were treating it as a friendly after a long hard season. Problem is Southgate. He sticks with a back 5, because he doesn’t trust his defenders. Stones is a 100% starter even with no matches as we miss his quality on the ball.

• Options
    So out of the loop with Prem football. Who is Austin ? 

I had never heard of the Palace defender from last squad either 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

If you mean Justin. Plays for Leicester. Just Come back from a long term injury. Was in the League 1 team of the season for Luton when Charlton won promotion under Bowyer. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MrOneLung said:

Do you mean James Justin?

He's a Left-Back for Leicester, was signed from Luton in 2019 after they won League One
  • Options
    lol who’s this harry kane fella?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Justin was only in the squad because our other left backs are injured. I'm confident that he won't play in Qatar.

It will be Chilwell if fit, then Luke Shaw as back up then possibly Trippier changing over.
  • Options
    Why do we play Hungary twice?
  • Options
    We play them all twice, but the return fixtures with Italy and Germany are in September 
  • Options
    Oh, I see, thanks. 6 matches! That's a bit much.
  • Options
    Not really. They are in place of any friendlies so we’re playing the same amount of games we’d likely play in the run up to a tournament.

Nations League is a brilliant concept IMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Very close to our first team squad out there tonight.

Phillips | Saka | Mount, all potential questionable starters in their positions
    Trippier I'd probably replace with Reece James still

• Options
    edited June 2022
    cafctom said:
    Not really. They are in place of any friendlies so we’re playing the same amount of games we’d likely play in the run up to a tournament.

Nations League is a brilliant concept IMO.
    Its just a shame that UEFA bottled it.

Division A should be four groups of three teams, so we should be playing two less games.

Going by that concept Germany should have been in Division B after the first version of the Nations League - Instead they decided to increase the number of teams in Division A so they didnt get relegated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League_A#Groups
  • Options
    not an a bad lineup but it’s a bit uninspired and dull. We should be competing and beating teams like Germany now, something I couldn’t of said 10-12 years ago with our national team.
  • Options
    Its crazy that our record in Germany is better than in England against this lot.

We've won 6-times in both countries, whilst Germany have six wins in England, but only four wins at home.
  • Options
    not an a bad lineup but it’s a bit uninspired and dull. We should be competing and beating teams like Germany now, something I couldn’t of said 10-12 years ago with our national team.
    Not sure we have a divine right to be beating Germany. They still have quality players in their side - multiple Champions League winners. 

Unbeaten in their last ten games.