Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eurovision 2022

Comments

• Apparently Sweden already agreed to host next years if Ukraine can’t.

So I was told 🤷‍♀️
    That’s gutting. Was hoping it would be in England and could storm the gates alongside other drunken ticketless individuals for the final.
    I'll have to throw that flare I was going to stick up my arse in the bin. :'(
  • Finishing 2nd is an incredible achievement. Hopefully, that will the moment for the nation to actually care about Eurovision. The UK are the real winners IMO.

Ukraine went out to 2/1 during the jury vote. Couldn’t move quick enough to reinvest.

“Incredible achievement”

Lol, it’s a shitty song contest, nobody has achieved anything incredible 
  • Finishing 2nd is an incredible achievement. Hopefully, that will the moment for the nation to actually care about Eurovision. The UK are the real winners IMO.

Ukraine went out to 2/1 during the jury vote. Couldn’t move quick enough to reinvest.

“Incredible achievement”

Don't be so daft, now Ukraine have won Eurovision Putin will no doubt realise the futility of his actions and pull troops out of the Donbass and Crimea.

Or possibly not.

“Incredible achievement”

In the context of the previous narrative that no one likes us and that's why we've been getting "nul points" it is an "incredible achievement". This is due to him firstly embracing Eurovision, secondly having a very good song and thirdly being an extremely talented singer which is the reason he has over 12 million followers and has duetted with the likes of Alicia Keys. 

I also think that any occasion that brings joy to people, even though it might not be everyone's "cup of tea" is something to be admired. It doesn't do any harm does it?

• Champions of Europe. Ukraine  just a sympathy vote. Their song was wank. We are the real winners and we don't have to host the fucking thing. Champions of Europe, champions of Europe...
  • Why do Croatia hate us?
  • Chizz said:
    I heard the UK song . It lacks any thing resembling  music except a din. No real rhyme,  monotony and quite boring.
    Sounds like it's made for you
     Try a sensible  comment on the subject...if that sing came second what were the others like ? 
    The other sings were less successful
  • Sponsored links:

• Why don’t they have a Eurovision Football Song contest with the likes of Lech Poznan, Newport County and Ards taking part.
    Not big fans of spacemen apparently.

Hate Babylon Zoo as well.
    Still bitter over Theo Walcott scoring a hat-trick in their backyard

That and we relegated them from the UEFA Nations League
  • Must admit, I don’t really like our song. 

Maybe need to hear it a few more times. 

But let’s hope we never go back down the route of having people like Englebert Humperdinck chosen to represent us. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Don't think you could have asked for anymore than Sam produced , to win the jury vote and then come second to an absolute voting juggernaut in Ukraine is one hell of an effort.  Just goes to show if you find the right person , put the hard graft in going around Europe showing your love for the contest then you can get great results.

Be very interesting to see how the UK follow it up next year , because that's going to be a hard act to match. 
    It’s a huge wake up call for the producers and BBC to produce something better than our previous entries. 

I read somewhere one of the major record companies wouldn’t touch Eurovision due to UK not getting the votes we deserve because Europe doesn’t like us. Sam Ryders performance and result clearly shows that was a complete bs accusation.
  • edited May 2022
    MarcusH26 said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Don't think you could have asked for anymore than Sam produced , to win the jury vote and then come second to an absolute voting juggernaut in Ukraine is one hell of an effort.  Just goes to show if you find the right person , put the hard graft in going around Europe showing your love for the contest then you can get great results.

Be very interesting to see how the UK follow it up next year , because that's going to be a hard act to match. 
    It’s a huge wake up call for the producers and BBC to produce something better than our previous entries. 

I read somewhere one of the major record companies wouldn’t touch Eurovision due to UK not getting the votes we deserve because Europe doesn’t like us. Sam Ryders performance and result clearly shows that was a complete bs accusation.

I think there was a real change of tactics from the BBC this year after James Newman's complete flop. They agreed a deal with Dua Lipas management company to basically run it , so they went and found Sam and the song and took it from there. 

It's not that Europe never liked us , it's more the UK never really seemed to put the effort in and sent a lot of pretty mediocre entries over the past few years, Sam showed that it just needed the right person and promotion to get the results. 
    Plus in a way, it's not rocket science - if someone is popular on Instagram or tiktok it's normally because a lot of people like them.  So stands to reason they'll get some votes because other people will like them too.

If we'd have stuck the sea shanty bloke up for Eurovision with a load of people dressed as pirates or whatever it would have done OK.  

Whereas last time out they kept trying to plug how good a songwriter he was etc, he'd worked for Rudimental doncha know, if you know anything about music etc etc... it's patronising.
  • Didnt they also used to have some pre-Eurovision show on the BBC where the public picked the entry?
  • MarcusH26 said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I think there was a real change of tactics from the BBC this year after James Newman's complete flop. They agreed a deal with Dua Lipas management company to basically run it , so they went and found Sam and the song and took it from there. 

It's not that Europe never liked us , it's more the UK never really seemed to put the effort in and sent a lot of pretty mediocre entries over the past few years, Sam showed that it just needed the right person and promotion to get the results. 
    Plus in a way, it's not rocket science - if someone is popular on Instagram or tiktok it's normally becuase a lot of people like them.  So stands to reason they'll get some votes because other people will like them too.

If we'd have stuck the sea shanty bloke up for Eurovision with a load of people dressed as pirates or whatever it would have done OK.  

Whereas last time out they kept trying to plug how good a songwriter he was etc, he'd worked for Rudimental doncha know, if you know anything about music etc etc... it's patronising.

Sam was the perfect person to reboot the UK at Eurovision, big social media following , great personality and a fantastic performer. A polar opposite to sending James who I'm sure is a great songwriter but had no kind of performance to him at all. 

I'll be interested to see how they follow it up next year, whether they stick to a similar " find someone with a big social following" method or maybe Sam's success tempts some " bigger names" . 
  • It's not that Europe doesn't like the UK, it's that the UK doesn't like Europe.

It's a shame that in the UK there is this undeserving mistrust and lack of faith in other European countries. Sometimes the UK does certain things better, sometimes other nations do. The idea is to unite and do things together.

The Eurovision song contest is a nonsense in itself, but it does attempt to bring harmony and understanding of others who at times may seem incomprehensible. This is why, in my opinion, it was wrong for the European Broadcasting Union to ban Russia. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Didnt they also used to have some pre-Eurovision show on the BBC where the public picked the entry?
    Yes.  In the days when we trusted the general public to make smart decisions concerning Europe. 
    Shows how stupid Cameron was to give the public the vote then - Especially as our song choices during that competition were probably some of the worst :D
  • Maybe Thomas Sandgaard could represent us next year. With his Danish origins, that should ensure plenty of Scandinavian votes  ;)
  • It's not that Europe doesn't like the UK, it's that the UK doesn't like Europe.

It's a shame that in the UK there is this undeserving mistrust and lack of faith in other European countries. Sometimes the UK does certain things better, sometimes other nations do. The idea is to unite and do things together.

The Eurovision song contest is a nonsense in itself, but it does attempt to bring harmony and understanding of others who at times may seem incomprehensible. This is why, in my opinion, it was wrong for the European Broadcasting Union to ban Russia. 
    Maybe but considering the huge support towards Ukraine in the audience, amongst the other entries and the voting I highly doubt the Russian entry would’ve got a good reception. 
  • What about combining one legendary Eurovision event, the Song Contest, with that other great Eurovision event, Jeux sans frontières?
    You could have the singers in big hats performing whilst going down a wet slide as musicians from other nations try to put them off by hitting them with brightly coloured foam hammers.
  • Maybe Thomas Sandgaard could represent us next year. With his Danish origins, that should ensure plenty of Scandinavian votes  ;)
    That’ll be two years ahead of schedule!
  • edited May 2022
    I keep humming the Swedish song. I let it in and now can't get it out!
  • edited May 2022
    "This video was filmed in Bucha, Irpin, Borodyanka, Hostomel, cities near Kyiv that suffered the horrors of Russian occupation.

Dedicated to the brave Ukrainian people, to the mothers protecting their children, to all those who gave their lives for our freedom.

Every man, every woman, every innocent child.

The war in Ukraine has multiple faces, but it is our mother's face that keeps our hearts alive in the darkest times.

Stand with Ukraine!"

https://youtu.be/Z8Z51no1TD0
  • Can't help but feel that the Russian exclusion allowed a number of jury panels to vote more freely. A good song helps but the event is still political.
  • I read a few countries had their votes cancelled in the semi finals due to voting irregularities