Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton appoint Tom Pell as new academy boss – Steve Avory becomes academy director

2»

Comments

• edited May 2022
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-pell-81517b18b

He’s coaches in the past so assume he’ll contribute on that side and not just admin.
  • He takes a good free kick, that Pell. 
  • Cant find fault with that appointment, not when you consider how Cambridge have done recently.

How old is Steve Avory?

Cant be getting any younger, so good to look to the future, before Steve thinks about retirement.
    I’m 54 and he taught me at senior school so must be at least mid 60’s.
  • welcome Tom .. all the very best during your time at CAFC
    Which if Terry Skiverton is anything to go by won’t be long.
  • Cant find fault with that appointment, not when you consider how Cambridge have done recently.

How old is Steve Avory?

Cant be getting any younger, so good to look to the future, before Steve thinks about retirement.
    He's 65 this year.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Cant find fault with that appointment, not when you consider how Cambridge have done recently.

How old is Steve Avory?

He's 65 this year.
    Same as Curbs :)
  • Don’t know a lot about academy football but Cambridge got knocked out in the last 16 of the FA Youth Cup (Same round as Charlton) this season. Beating Leeds and losing on penalties to Forest who are in the final.

They must be doing something right there. 

I saw Cambridge in this season's FA youth cup at Dulwich Hamlets. First half more flair from Dulwich and it was all square at HT. Second Half was a totally different story and the well coached Cambridge lads went into top gear and run out easy winners and scored a hat full.
    A team that were strong and fit and created so many chances 2nd half. 
  • Seems to come with a decent reputation and presumably it’s about beefing up the staffing for the cat 1

only ever had a few email dealings with Ruth Corry so no idea if it’s a direct replacement or slightly different role

• Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-pell-81517b18b

He’s coaches in the past so assume he’ll contribute on that side and not just admin.

Tom Pell is a football coach and his background is very similar to Steve Avory but is 25 years younger hence why Steve's title has changed to Director.
    As academy manager the admin that Tom will be involved with will be overseeing all the academy age groups and also dealing with the change of school when a new scholar joins. This is the part that would dovetail with the job that Ruth Corry did at Cafc. 

One lad joined this season and changed to Bromley from an Orpington school. Not a major change in distance but with his new team mates around to get the bonding in the college in Bromley. 
  • edited May 2022
    welcome Tom .. all the very best during your time at CAFC
    Which if Terry Skiverton is anything to go by won’t be long.

Mega different between a first team coach and the manager of the academy. The most successful part of Cafc is the academy this season. Steve Avory has been at Cafc a long time and has a great CV of success.

What we need to accept is the two tier system at Cafc. ( Yes, I always get pissed off when a talented youngster leaves)
    The fast tract to the Premier with the likes of Gomez and Lookman.
    The fast track to the Scottish premier or the Championship like Aribo, Konsa and Alfie Doughty.

We won't ever be in a position to stop the likes of Gomez and Lookman going, but if/when we ever get back to the Championship we may be able to offer a deal and prospects that we don't lose the likes of Konsa and Doughty unless clubs pay over the value Cafc feel they are worth.

We need at least 3 or 4 of the 17/18 year old group to get into the squad on a regular basis. Because they are good enough; not because they are one of our own.

Category 1 will continue the advance of Cafc but we need it too work on both levels.
    The kids who have higher ambitions than 3rd tier and will bring in Millions before they have hardly played a game for Charlton and the likes of Solly, Cousins etc who played for us over a number of years after coming through the age groups at Charlton.
  • You could fashion a pretty good team out of players still playing for others who were with us below the age of 18.