Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away average following this season?

Comments

• Options
    Owlsonline thanks .
    Hope the winner of Wednesday v Sunderland go up … less competition for us if we’re at the right end of the table
  • Options
    All Plymouth fans live in London so their games are nearer than ours 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Managed to get to 12 aways - only one of them was a win (Cambridge).

Have a lot of respect for those fans who will do Morecambe, Accrington etc next season for a 2nd or more occasion.

Getting the tick is one thing, but continuing to make those journeys is another level of dedication.
    Agreed

Going to distant away grounds when you've been already AND the places aren't high on the bucket list of places to go for a day trip, takes real dedication!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    As it stands our nearest away games next season will be Ipswich, Wycombe (If they don’t go up via the Play Offs) and Oxford
    2 of those miles from rhe Station as well. Shittest league
  • Options

Lower average than Oxford...
  • Options

That Ipswich one is out of order. For them to achieve that in L1 where a lot of grounds have smaller capacity they must have taken advantage of those clubs that let more away fans in, yet don’t necessarily reciprocate for games at their ground if the number of tickets Charlton eventually had is anything to go by. 
  • Options
    It's slightly ironic that MKD are just like the old Wimbledon at Selhurst, in that they are able to boost their gates by selling massive numbers of tickets to away fans.

6850 Ipswich, 5649 Wednesday!

We "suffered" from not having any London and nearby clubs with a massive away end, other than MKD, who we've played far too often recently anyway.
  • Options

That Ipswich one is out of order. For them to achieve that in L1 where a lot of grounds have smaller capacity they must have taken advantage of those clubs that let more away fans in, yet don’t necessarily reciprocate for games at their ground if the number of tickets Charlton eventually had is anything to go by. 
    Like the 6850 they took to MK Don's you mean?

I dont really see it as taking advantage though. Suits both parties.
  • Options
    It's slightly ironic that MKD are just like the old Wimbledon at Selhurst, in that they are able to boost their gates by selling massive numbers of tickets to away fans.

6850 Ipswich, 5649 Wednesday!

We "suffered" from not having any London and nearby clubs with a massive away end, other than MKD, who we've played far too often recently anyway.
    Too often this season there seems to have been train issues on the day we’ve played away. MK Dons on a Saturday might get a lot more fans being able to go than what was a pretty decent following anyway
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Only done Burton, Ipswich and Portsmouth  and Doncaster and Shrews -poor 
    good support though 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To average over 1000 in this northern hellhole of a league isn’t that bad considering the season we’ve had

We seem to have a fairly loyal 4-500 that will go anywhere on a Saturday and obviously the likes of Oxford Pompey Ipswich Sheff Wed bring out a few more 

Losing Gillingham and Wimbledon and keeping Fleetwood and Morecambe isn’t great but at least the sides coming up and down excluding Barnsley have the potential to be well supported 
  • Options
    I only went to 8 away games this season, my 2 lads went to about 15, I know a few will look to go to FGR next season,I’ve been before, their ground is  on the top of a hill, it’s not for the feint hearted or those will with heart or mobility issues!
  • Options
    I reckon we’d have been comfortably over 1500 avg if we’d been in the top 6. I only went to Wimbledon and gills away all season, fewest I’ve been to in years, if we’d been in the mixer i think at least 10 others I’d have gone to guaranteed , maybe even more, and I’m sure there are many in that boat 
  • Options
    1038 Wrexham supporters at Borehamwood today, half the crowd
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Stats distorted by matches away not played on a Saturday - for example, if Pompey hadn’t been switched to a Monday night, similarly Cambridge from a Saturday, we would have sold out our allocation - certainly ‘prevented’ me going to those - I was intending to do both, when they were Saturday matches, but when they were changed, I couldn’t go, due to prior commitments - for many as well, an evening away, unless local (like Gillingham) puts people off

I am entirely confident we have a bigger away following than Oxford
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Croydon said:

Stats distorted by matches away not played on a Saturday - for example, if Pompey hadn’t been switched to a Monday night, similarly Cambridge from a Saturday, we would have sold out our allocation - certainly ‘prevented’ me going to those - I was intending to do both, when they were Saturday matches, but when they were changed, I couldn’t go, due to prior commitments - for many as well, an evening away, unless local (like Gillingham) puts people off

Probably distorted by Gills & Pompey away being midweek as you point out but our average for midweek games (1094) is actually higher than our average for weekend games (1011) according to the table posted. The effect is twofold... numbers added to the midweek following and numbers taken away from the weekend.

Gillingham's was similarly skewed with an average of 735 for midweek (only had 4 midweek away games and one was against us for a total of 1559) while they average 415 for the weekend.

We are the only two clubs of 24 with a better average in midweek than the weekend.

Think we'd be comfortably 1500+ average if we were in and around top six this season. Having the season we did, four figures isn't bad at all.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Forgot about Portsmouth being on a Monday tbf
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Forgot about Portsmouth being on a Monday tbf
    And Cambridge is an attractive away day, purely because it’s a lovely city, with excellent pubs - Abbey Stadium isn’t the greatest, but it’s old school - train to Cambridge is easy peasey 

Another one - albeit was always a midweek game (from memory) - was MK Dons - if that had been a Saturday, I reckon we would easily have taken over 3,000 - and if we had been up there, top 6, playing well, looking like promotion material, I reckon it would be tickling 5,000, maybe more 

So much is dependant on how the team is performing, and that applies to all clubs, in all divisions, unless it’s the usual suspects (Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Man U, Leeds etc etc)
  • Options

MK above Wimbledon. :flushed:
  • Options
    I'm having it next season,  ditching the season ticket and doing the aways.
    Gonna get the boss @AFKABartram on a couple of long distance trips with us.
    To me the further the away game the better.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

Bring him oop north 😉.
  • Options
    I only went to 8 away games this season, my 2 lads went to about 15, I know a few will look to go to FGR next season,I’ve been before, their ground is  on the top of a hill, it’s not for the feint hearted or those will with heart or mobility issues!
    What about car parking ? 
    Only if your car is vegan
  • Options
    clb74 said:

This season was the least amount of aways I’ve done in 30 years. Work’s been full on and just haven’t had the motivation to give up half the weekend too often on Charlton. Hopefully that changes next season, one of my boys has been nagging me for months to do a long away. 
  • Options
    I did 10 aways this season, 6 being new grounds. And there was the post lockdown "I want to get out" factor.

Next season I suspect I will be more choosy
  • Options
    What about car parking ? 
    Just make sure you hand brake is working.
  • Options
    MK, Wimbledon, Cambridge. Results improved with each one. 
  • Options
    MK, Wimbledon, Cambridge. Results improved with each one. 
    Ours ?, or theirs ? 
  • Options
    Doing Oxford and MK at the start of the season was enough to put me off for the rest of it.