Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town | Saturday 23rd April 2022

Comments

• Options
    matt88 said:
    matt88 said:
    Bailey said:
    Looking at Jackson's record over the season, if he was in charge from the start of the season and the points were averaged out from that point, we would have 74 points. This is still way short. but the playoff target this season is very high and the points average doesn't take into account the injuries for almost two months to three first choice forwards. This team has the basis and with additions plus a pre season for Frazer and Gilbey, who both had bouts of Co vid, the team, with some excellent youngsters knocking on the door, could do something next season. 
    Stolen from an Ipswich link, but have started the table from the day before the Sunderland away game. We’d be four points from the playoffs under Jacko.
    So... still 12th then...? Great stat ! 
    Not sure why the piss taking, just thought it was an interesting one to note
    Sorry, but saying we would have been 12th when that's exactly where we are now isn't that interesting to me. The team isn't good enough and trying to make out like we would could have been higher in the table had JJ been in charge from the start is factually incorrect, as is shown by your table. We are the quintessential mid-table team this season, in form and ability, and no re-imagining of history or what ifs are going to change that. 
    12th with 14 games to go and 4 points off the play offs though…
    You think that this current team would have had enough about them in those imaginary 14 games to not only make up the 4 points but also keep up with the teams above? Why? We have been hovering from 12th to 18th for pretty much the entire season under JJ, haven't even threatened the top 10 at all. 
  • Options
    MattF said:

These things make me laugh. So this week, in the whole of league one, when picking the best 11 players and manager, 9 of them came from just two clubs?
    Ludicrous, but seems to happen quite often on there.
  • Options
    In fact here's a stat - the 13 teams we played before JJ took over -we managed to put 9 points on the board - would JJ have done any better? Well in the return fixtures against all of those 13 teams JJ's return was... 10 points.
  • Options
    matt88 said:
    matt88 said:
    Bailey said:
    Looking at Jackson's record over the season, if he was in charge from the start of the season and the points were averaged out from that point, we would have 74 points. This is still way short. but the playoff target this season is very high and the points average doesn't take into account the injuries for almost two months to three first choice forwards. This team has the basis and with additions plus a pre season for Frazer and Gilbey, who both had bouts of Co vid, the team, with some excellent youngsters knocking on the door, could do something next season. 
    Stolen from an Ipswich link, but have started the table from the day before the Sunderland away game. We’d be four points from the playoffs under Jacko.
    So... still 12th then...? Great stat ! 
    Not sure why the piss taking, just thought it was an interesting one to note
    Sorry, but saying we would have been 12th when that's exactly where we are now isn't that interesting to me. The team isn't good enough and trying to make out like we would could have been higher in the table had JJ been in charge from the start is factually incorrect, as is shown by your table. We are the quintessential mid-table team this season, in form and ability, and no re-imagining of history or what ifs are going to change that. 
    Where did I say any of that? I’ve literally just posted a table.

I think showing that we’d be 4 points off the playoffs rather than the 21 that we are now is interesting. Obviously we’ve been poor this season and don’t deserve to be in the playoffs, but I was merely presently another angle on it.
  • Options
    In fact here's a stat - the 13 teams we played before JJ took over -we managed to put 9 points on the board - would JJ have done any better? Well in the return fixtures against all of those 13 teams JJ's return was... 10 points.
    How many of those games were when we had no strikers?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Yeah ..... but Adkins had all his strikers to choose from.

Jacko went half a dozen successive games against promotion chasing teams without a striker.

Stats are totally meaningless without context.

Excuses for one manager and not the other. 

Adkins didn't have Aneke either. Didn't have Fraser. Didn't have Forster-Caskey back. Didn't have Purrington. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Jacko went half a dozen successive games against promotion chasing teams without a striker.

Adkins didn't have Aneke either. Didn't have Fraser. Didn't have Forster-Caskey back. Didn't have Purrington. 
    He did have Dobson and never played him!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Oggy Red said:

Purrington played under Adkins, albeit just the two full games against Gillingham and Bolton.
  • Options
    Adkins only played one up top and stuck Washington out wide as I recall.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oh, come on ...... Jacko hasn't seen much of Aneke, Fraser or JFC either.
    Purrington was injured pre-season but was fit again after a month and played under Adkins.

Maybe we might have seen JFC play a couple more games recently - but I don't know and you don't know, whether it's a meds team instruction to keep him on the bench?
    Anyway JFC wants to play Dobson'e role. Should Jacko have dropped Dobson?

• Options
    I don’t always attach much weight to projections with football.  Yes, we’ve definitely turned it round under Jackson to a certain degree, but we’ve still chalked up some poor performances under him with our relatively strongest teams.  We had a pretty much full strength team out against Morecombe and weren’t great.  
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    cabbles said:
    I don’t always attach much weight to projections with football.  Yes, we’ve definitely turned it round under Jackson to a certain degree, but we’ve still chalked up some poor performances under him with our relatively strongest teams.  We had a pretty much full strength team out against Morecombe and weren’t great.  
    Other teams have worked out the weaknesses in our formation and gameplan. 
    Typically we've conceded many goals by opponents exploiting the gaps caused by stretching and separating our back 3 across the back line.

Nothing seems to have been done to address this ..... I'm no master tactician but we have to close the space in front  of our back 3.
    How do we do that, maybe 2 defensive CMs? I don't know, but as Curbs said the other day, he always tried to make a strong defensive platform, saying that he'd get his fullbacks on the half way line to show opposing wingers inside "into traffic".

We do that regularly on our 18 yard line! 

• Options
    Nothing much more to add, bit crap first half, less crap second half. With CBT pulling out late we reverted to the Stockley tactic for the most part. 

Result Vs performance and the same old arguements, we managed to see off Shrewsbury at home so exciting times I guess. 
  • Options
    I hope and pray we can get a fit chucks for the start of next season, he can make such a difference at this level.
  • Options
    The first half was a bit dismal, to say the least, but I thought overall it was fairly entertaining (not great, but plenty of goal mouth action in the second half).

It was disappointing not to have at least another youngster on the bench (in place of Leko and/or Innis) and giving Kanu no more than a couple of minutes was fairly pointless. He should have been given 15 or 20 minutes.

I thought at the time that it was a strange tactical substitution bringing Aneke on for Gilbey when we were 1-0 up - at times it looked like we were playing 7-0-3 - but it worked and was a very positive move, clearly looking for the second goal rather than sitting back.

Good to see Morgan get a couple of good assists, but there were more bad deliveries than good. I can't see him being part of the plans for next season even though he is one of our own.

I have been critical of Craig McGoalie, but his saves yesterday were as important as the goals from Stockley and Chuks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Purrington played under Adkins, albeit just the two full games against Gillingham and Bolton.
    So less games than Stockley/Washington played under Jackson. But that's allowed to be an excuse. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The game was ok, not great, but two well taken goals from Stockley and The Beast sorted out the result, ably assisted with some fine work from Albie, he has been getting some grief for below par performances some of which are justified, but yesterday he seemed to be responding to what Jacko wants from him, and was much more in the game than of late.
    Mac had a much better game, and the match def swung on his great double save at the start of the second half, we could have been looking at a different result without that, and the last game lap of appreciation could have been a much more sobering procession.
    On to Ipswich it is to cement our top half (just) 12th place finish..
    One highlight for me was the appearance of Yann the Man in the studio, and watching his one man show with the memory lane stuff..great show.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Purrington was injured pre-season but was fit again after a month and played under Adkins.

Maybe we might have seen JFC play a couple more games recently - but I don't know and you don't know, whether it's a meds team instruction to keep him on the bench?

Jackson played Aneke for 90 minutes two games in a row and ran him into the ground. 

Purrington played two full games because of how unfit he was, that's all. 

Fraser has been available for at least two months under Jackson. 

I'm just saying that people love to line-up and excuse Jackson's poor form because of injuries. But will discount the handicap that Adkins was given to work with. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

So less games than Stockley/Washington played under Jackson. But that's allowed to be an excuse. 
    Haha - Shut up

You said that Adkins didnt play Purrington - I corrected you, dont then suddenly change your line of the argument
  • Options
    That first half was as poor a spectacle as I've witnessed in a long time.
    Aimless hoofery, misplaced passes and a complete lack of joined up thinking.
    If next season starts anything like that I think hell will come to dinner in SE7.
    Better in the second half in terms of urgency and intent, although if it wasn't for Mac's double save to prevent them taking the lead I dread to think what would have happened.
    Nice to see a bit of invention in the set pieces.
    I have been saying to my son for weeks why doesn't one of our players hold back and make a late run into the box instead of all jostling together and waiting for the cross.
    We actually has 3 or 4 charging in.
    Get the delivery right and you have the momentum and advantage over an opponent running towards his own goal.
    Great delivery and great strike by Stockley and for heaven's sake that is the service he thrives on.
    Chuks got his by pulling off at the far post, powerful header with perfect direction.
    Not a Morgan fan, but thought he had a good game overall and at times was the one trying to make things happen with movement and runs. And two assists of course. More please.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Scoham said:
    Am I missing something here? How does Claire have an XG of 0.5 when all I can remember is him having a shot for 35 yards, and Washington misses two 1 on 1's but has 0.3?
    Because these stats are pointless 
    He had a header that ended up on top of the goal net. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Does it really matter what JFC wants? Surely a guy with his ability could play a more attacking role? Remember the hattrick he scored at the Valley three or four years ago. Don’t think he was playing defensive role that day at least. 

Not Morgan’s biggest fan, but he’s been decent over the last couple of games. Has he done enough though?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Jackson played Aneke for 90 minutes two games in a row and ran him into the ground. 

I'm just saying that people love to line-up and excuse Jackson's poor form because of injuries. But will discount the handicap that Adkins was given to work with. 
    I'll agree with you that Adkins started the season with a mighty handicap, he didn't have a full squad let alone a match-fit side.
    Whatever  the issues surrounding Adkins culminating in his sacking, that's not even a level playing field - and IMO directly contributed to our shockingly poor start.

Don't forget Jacko inherited what Adkins couldn't cope with, the team in 22nd place, in the relegation positions.

Gawd knows, at the time we even had a long thread on here chewing the fat on whether we would be relegated; the Doomsters and Gloomsters were in their element.

I don't know what you expected from a rookie manager learning his trade, and of course his inexperience will lead to mistakes and misjudgements .... but are we in 22nd place now? If we were, we'd already be relegated.

Many people seem to have underestimated what Jacko has achieved. Sure, he didn't get us into the playoffs from 22nd place, but truthfully, what were you expecting? Last October, you'd have grabbed us finishing the season around 12th place when many at that time were convinced we'd be dumped into the Fourth Division for the first time in our history.

Jacko isn't the Messiah, well not yet, anyway ha ha ....... but seriously, let's see how the team rebuilding goes and the first dozen games of next season, eh?
    By then you might have changed your mind about Jacko. Or calamity, I might even have to change mine! :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

I'll agree with you that Adkins started the season with a mighty handicap, he didn't have a full squad let alone a match-fit side.
    Whatever  the issues surrounding Adkins culminating in his sacking, that's not even a level playing field - and IMO directly contributed to our shockingly poor start.

Don't forget Jacko inherited what Adkins couldn't cope with, the team in 22nd place, in the relegation positions.

Gawd knows, at the time we even had a long thread on here chewing the fat on whether we would be relegated; the Doomsters and Gloomsters were in their element.

I don't know what you expected from a rookie manager learning his trade, and of course his inexperience will lead to mistakes and misjudgements .... but are we in 22nd place now? If we were, we'd already be relegated.

Many people seem to have underestimated what Jacko has achieved. Sure, he didn't get us into the playoffs from 22nd place, but truthfully, what were you expecting? Last October, you'd have grabbed us finishing the season around 12th place when many at that time were convinced we'd be dumped into the Fourth Division for the first time in our history.

Jacko isn't the Messiah, well not yet, anyway ha ha ....... but seriously, let's see how the team rebuilding goes and the first dozen games of next season, eh?
    By then you might have changed your mind about Jacko. Or calamity, I might even have to change mine! :smile:

We also had a play-off thread because jackson won a couple of games. 

So saying it was all doom and gloom wasnt true. People on here genuinely believed we had a squad capable of the playoffs in the first month of Jackson taking over.