Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town | Saturday 23rd April 2022

Shrewsbury Town the visitors to the Valley for the final home game of the season. Little was on the line for either club, except a bit of pride as we see out this disappointing season. The Addicks started brightly, dominating possession and creating chances in the first fifteen minutes, but the foot came off the gas on twenty minutes, allowing Shrewsbury back into it. The first half finished with neither side finding the quality needed to open the scoring.

The second half was quite a bit better, but the Addicks took a little time to get going. We soaked up Shresbury’s limited pressure, but it was MacGillivray that kept us in it with back to back saves. Our two goals came from set pieces, first with Stockley and then from Chuks, who came on midway through the second half. Wunderkind Daniel Kanu came on in the final few minutes of extra time to make his Charlton debut. 

A clean sheet and three points on Upbeats Day, with Yann Kermorgant in the studio, and his son a mascot. Not a classic, but a solid win to send us up the table a bit.

Charlton 2 Shrewsbury 0

Comments

• Options
    Only need to match Accrington's result to secure a top half finish........... 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    A place behind Ipswich with a game to go. I’d have taken that if you’d offered it in July. Not so much now. 
    I'm actually amazed we are only 8 points behind them 
  • Options
    sm said:
    Gribbo said:
    Credit to fan behind the goal for second goal. Does he get an assist for that?
    Hopefully a life time ban.
    What happened then mate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cambridge , currently on 57 points, also could overtake us if they beat Cheltenham and we crumble at Ipswich.

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Uboat said:
    A place behind Ipswich with a game to go. I’d have taken that if you’d offered it in July. Not so much now. 
    Ipswich also had a shocking start to the season, like we did.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    stonemuse said:
    Uboat said:

and they didn't lose all their strikers for a while as we did
  • Options
    Good interview with Albie
  • Options
    Aneke the perfect impact sub. A good goal and that's the best he's been around the pitch since he's come back from injury. 

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Oggy Red said:
    stonemuse said:
    Uboat said:

Yep, many of us have already forgotten that we didn't even have a fit striker for half a dozen games.

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Oggy Red said:
    stonemuse said:
    Uboat said:

They also didn't start the season with 2 and half like we did either.... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What happened to cause the delay?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Aneke the perfect impact sub. A good goal and that's the best he's been around the pitch since he's come back from injury. 

Although to be fair, Chuks was pushed into playing his first game back after that long layoff, with only 2 days training.

• Options
    Goalkeeper being a big kid needs to get real and grow up for fuck sake 🍺
  • Options
    Part of me feels with the brand of football JJ seems to want us to play, we will inevitably just fall short again next season.

However, when you see how a player with the quality of Aneke can change the game (granted he is coming on in the final minutes against ragged defences), then maybe if we do manage to bring some better quality through the door - promotion all of a sudden does not seem to distant. 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cambridge , currently on 57 points, also could overtake us if they beat Cheltenham and we crumble at Ipswich.

Ipswich will be a turgid nobody-gives-a-f*@k 0-0 draw, guaranteed.
  • Options
    Someone in the CE Lower accused by their keeper of throwing something at him, ref stopped the game to talk to the officials and stewards checked CCTV etc. and whilst all that was happening their keeper, captain and a couple of other players weren't helping the cause by coming and having words with fans and pointing at a few individuals. Couldn't see if anyone actually got hauled out for it, but once the game finally resumed we scored the second to put it to bed anyway
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Someone in the CE Lower accused by their keeper of throwing something at him, ref stopped the game to talk to the officials and stewards checked CCTV etc. and whilst all that was happening their keeper, captain and a couple of other players weren't helping the cause by coming and having words with fans and pointing at a few individuals. Couldn't see if anyone actually got hauled out for it, but once the game finally resumed we scored the second to put it to bed anyway
    Thanks. Sitting down in the West couldn’t see anything except a lot of pointing from the keeper.