Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jon De Souza appointed as Men's First-Team Development Coach

Comments

• Options
    Why the feck are people moaning about the new Club Secretary (Dangermouse etc.)

Why the feck does it matter if he's come from Non-League or the Premier League

Or like I said when he was appointed, are people now trying to pretend as though they know what he does

Our fans are really turning into the Arsenal of League One!!
    Who's moaning about him? This is the De Souza thread.
  • Options

Or like I said when he was appointed, are people now trying to pretend as though they know what he does

Who's moaning about him? This is the De Souza thread.
    Was going by the tweet talking about it all, and then VFrf's comment as well

Should have quoted the bits I was referring to
  • Options
    Bit damning from the tweeter but I suppose you can make your own early judgement with the video.

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Christ we’re a miserable and negative fan base these days 
    I am not sure what is to be positive about? 
    Plenty to be negative about but that doesn’t mean we have to be negative about absolutely everything there is to do with the club. 

Everything is ridiculed to the nth degree. 
  • Options
    Just what we need, even more cooks to spoil the broth. Ridiculous number of back room staff for a league one team. 
  • Options

My only thought on this point is that it feeds into the bigger picture of calibre of individuals we're appointing. Take any position from chef, groundsman or fitness coach all the way through to star striker, if you're being paid by Manchester City it's generally because you're good at what you do, if you're working for some non-league club with a next-to-zero budget, it's probably because a better club doesn't want you. For what it's worth I don't know enough about Club Secretary role to know how important that comparison is, but the fact remains our last four appointments have no experience of our league or higher except for small stints in Brentford maybe years ago... It's not ambitious - that's the issue.
    To be honest, if Sandgaard came out and said yes budgets have to be lower this year for whatever reason at least people's expectations can be set, but we're still getting the Premier League aim but assigning bargian basement individuals club positions. If we're looking for a new coach, lets look at Peterborough, Luton, Derby even and pay one of their coaches well to share some of their insights rather than gambling on someone who FAILED (judging by all reactions) at a League Two club.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I am quite pleased that on several occasions I have mentioned how surprisingly decent the development set up has been in recent times at Colchester.
    Every season they give our U23’s a decent game, and even recently didn’t their U18’s beat ours 5-1?
    My view is unscientific and based on personal opinion, but even though the Colchester United first team has not been doing well the past couple of seasons De Souza has not been the manager and their club has an honest developmental system generally.
    I don’t know how this will work out, but decrying the appointment because of Colchester’s status is hardly forensic analysis.
    For the last 3 years de Souza was the first teams Director of Performance, he wasn't managing their academy.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Just what we need, even more cooks to spoil the broth. Ridiculous number of back room staff for a league one team. 
    Looking forward to the subs coach and the Throw in coach appointments
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're 13th in League one. We aren't exactly the most attractive of clubs at the moment and that will also shine through with the calibre of players we attract. Nicking a performance coach who was at Colchester sounds about right to me
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I am quite pleased that on several occasions I have mentioned how surprisingly decent the development set up has been in recent times at Colchester.
    Every season they give our U23’s a decent game, and even recently didn’t their U18’s beat ours 5-1?
    My view is unscientific and based on personal opinion, but even though the Colchester United first team has not been doing well the past couple of seasons De Souza has not been the manager and their club has an honest developmental system generally.
    I don’t know how this will work out, but decrying the appointment because of Colchester’s status is hardly forensic analysis.
    For the last 3 years de Souza was the first teams Director of Performance, he wasn't managing their academy.
    Thanks for this info.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    TEL said:
    Looking forward to the subs coach and the Throw in coach appointments
    Can I put myself in for throw ins , I have a long throw , not quite as hard as MS’s shot but decent enough for pub standard football and I spent a huge amount of my career on the subs bench , so I could probably have a dual roll 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I believe Wayne Brown is Colchester's Head Coach, previously at Maldon & Tiptree.
    Hmm.

Wayne Brown was named Interim Head Coach of the club following the departure of Hayden Mullins and Alex Dyer on 19th January 2022.

Former Colchester United player Wayne Brown isn't new to the Interim Head Coach position, having stood on the touchline for the club twice before. 

Manager of Maldon and Tiptree, Brown has a strong connection with the U's, with a good number of Colchester United's youngsters spending time on loan at the Jammers over the last few seasons. 

As a player, Brown played for Ipswich Town, Watford, and Hull City to name a few, including over 100 games for Colchester United across three seperate periods at the club. 

• Options
    I don't mind bringing in a "development" coach but by Christ they at least should have some pedigree. Didnt fans suggest bringing in Defoe the other month & as part of him joining us he would be able to develop the youngsters with their finishing. At least there you could see the reasoning - at this rate you might as well hire me as a motivational speaker !

• Options
    I don't mind bringing in a "development" coach but by Christ they at least should have some pedigree. Didnt fans suggest bringing in Defoe the other month & as part of him joining us he would be able to develop the youngsters with their finishing. At least there you could see the reasoning - at this rate you might as well hire me as a motivational speaker !

Didn’t fans just pull some famous name out of their arses to look clever, is what this post means.
  • Options
    Can't say that I'moverly excited after the lack of change since Stockton has been involved?
  • Options
    john3 said:
    Can't say that I'moverly excited after the lack of change since Stockton has been involved?
    What do you think of the changes he has made?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    this was put up 2 days ago on the other site 
    Well he's got 1 right so far, so we can't exactly dismiss the other points.

De Souza - correct
    Jackson to go - ?
    Euell to go - ?
    TS trying to sell - ?

Surley if he is looking to sell you would not be appointing more staff and paying off JJ and Euell. 
  • Options
    Bit damning from the tweeter but I suppose you can make your own early judgement with the video.

Does he like walking and talking?
  • Options
    As an aside, wasn't Skiverton Jackson's choice? If so, not sure he falls into the "on the cheap" bracket.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I'm glad we don't actually live in a world where everyone is purely judged on the places they've worked before. Only on this football forum!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    If you want a recent, genuine footballing comparison, one word I will say to the people moaning about Colchester, Yeovil, Maldon & Tiptree...

Tranmere