Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jon De Souza appointed as Men's First-Team Development Coach

Charlton Athletic are delighted to announce the appointment of Jon De Souza as Men’s First-Team Development Coach.

The role will mean De Souza is focussed on developing players on an individual basis. It includes working with first-team players to help them add to their game and also working with academy players to help prepare them for first-team football.

De Souza has 17 years of experience in football having worked previously with Luton Town, Brentford and most recently Colchester United.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6262720a6c8e8/jon-de-souza-appointed-as-mens-first-team-development-coach

Comments

• Options
    Intresting. 
  • Options
    this was sort of announced a few weeks ago but we didn't know the name of the person appointed.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Intresting. 
    That was my reaction too!
    Potentially a really positive move.
    Be interesting to see what he can draw from the likes of Albie Morgan
  • Options
    No word from Jacko on the statement
  • Options
    Seems to have very good experience for this role - seems positive
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    No chance of getting rid of JJ then if they are giving him a bigger support team.
  • Options
    clive said:

Charlton Athletic are delighted to announce the appointment of Jon De Souza as Men’s First-Team Development Coach.

The role will mean De Souza is focussed on developing players on an individual basis. It includes working with first-team players to help them add to their game and also working with academy players to help prepare them for first-team football.

De Souza has 17 years of experience in football having worked previously with Luton Town, Brentford and most recently Colchester United.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6262720a6c8e8/jon-de-souza-appointed-as-mens-first-team-development-coach

I would have hoped that this would be the aim of our current coaching staff. If this guy is taking them on a 1-to-1basis we have a 1st team squad of 25 & lets say 25 under 18s / under 23s. When will he sleep ? I wonder whose idea this is & where they plucked his name from. Is it a good idea ? Only time will tell. Finally I wonder what JJ thinks ?
  • Options
    TS recently mentioned bringing in more coaching staff. Good to see, and someone with decent experience too.

OS article mentions he worked with a couple of our academy coaches, so won’t be a complete unknown to everyone at the club.

I wonder if this will be the only coach or whether we’ll see more?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Announced on Pizza Friday 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    TS recently mentioned bringing in more coaching staff. Good to see, and someone with decent experience too.

OS article mentions he worked with a couple of our academy coaches, so won’t be a complete unknown to everyone at the club.

It’s hard for TS when losing money but as a club we need more staff across the board playing and non-playing staff. Need to reverse the budget cuts by RD. Assume he is another ex Brentford staff who was made redundant when they closed the academy.

Decent pedigree in football. Sounds a smart decision.
  • Options
    Colchester fans didn’t like him
  • Options
    he has a LOT of work to do
  • Options
    Scoham said:

It’s hard for TS when losing money but as a club we need more staff across the board playing and non-playing staff. Need to reverse the budget cuts by RD. Assume he is another ex Brentford staff who was made redundant when they closed the academy.

Decent pedigree in football. Sounds a smart decision.
    Yeah LinkedIn says he left in May 2016 so he would have been. Then he went to Colchester where he’s been ever since, first as academy manager before becoming Technical & Performance Director in 2019.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Source?
  • Options
    Because?
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    Got sacked from Colchester who sit 20th in league 2, I see we're aiming high lol 
    In a director role. Previously been a coach and manager at academy level. Hopefully a case that he’s more suited to his new role.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Another piece of the jigsaw. Watch out Liverpool and Citeh, we're coming for you!!!
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rB1z5cvT4

Jon De Souza - Who'd Be A Manager Webinar

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Christ we’re a miserable and negative fan base these days 
    I am not sure what is to be positive about? 
    What is there to be negative about? Is he better qualified and experienced than the last guy to have a similar role at the club.....grant basey 

who would you have appointed?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Based on the article above, this move doesn't excite me in the slightest. Seems like a cheap option. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Christ we’re a miserable and negative fan base these days 
    I am not sure what is to be positive about? 
    What is there to be negative about? Is he better qualified and experienced than the last guy to have a similar role at the club.....grant basey 

who would you have appointed?
    Regardless of Basey's job title what did he actually do?  Can't really call him Director of BBC and executive chef. 

He was in charge of bibs, balls and cones and made Bowyer's brews.