Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cambridge United v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 19 April | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited April 2022 in General Charlton
Cambridge United v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 19 April | Kick-Off: 19:45
Live on Charlton TV (UK included)

Referee: Paul Howard - Last officiated Charlton against Wycombe in our defeat on New Years Day.

Introduction
My last preview of the season and it's been tough to write throughout, wearing me down - even the thought of putting these together for a midweek league fixture. So huge credit must go to @ForeverAddickted for sticking through it each week as I can only imagine the struggles and chore it's turned out to be. As we enter the final midweek fixture of the season, the Addicks show the problems we've faced all throughout the season in a single week. A great win at promotion chasing Rotherham was followed by a dismal display against relegation strugglers Morecambe at home just 6 days later. Midweek fixtures this season has seen us pick up 9 points from 11 games, I can only hope we can make it a point per game from midweek fixtures after the 90 minutes against our next opponents, Cambridge United.

Opposition
Manager: Mark Bonner | Stadium: Abbey Stadium
League Position: 12th | Nickname(s): The U's
League Form: LWWLWW

Cambridge United played away at Wigan Athletic on Saturday, winning 2-1, their line up was:

Mitov
Williams | Okedina | Jones | Iredale
May | Digby
Smith | Knibbs | Brophy
Ironside

The U's manager, Mark Bonner, first took charge as permanent manager in 2020 at the age of 34. Having been with Cambridge for 11 years, he's had to bide his time working through the ranks and under several different managers. His first full season in charge saw him guide the club back to the third tier of English football for the first time since 2002; his second has seen them finish in a very respectable mid-table position - overseeing wins against Ipswich and most recently table toppers Wigan. They've also had a cup run too which included winning at one of, if not the richest, clubs in the world, Newcastle United. With Jackson's aim of the Addicks finishing the season strongly, it's Cambridge who are doing just that. With 4 wins in their last 5, three of them coming away from home, the U's are an honest, hard working side but also one with a dodgy habit. Cambridge are culpable of conceding a few when they lose. 4 of their last 5 defeats have seen them lose 4-2, 6-0, 3-0, and 4-1. However, this Charlton side have scored more than two in a game just twice all season.

Player wise, Cambridge's front 4 all have their strengths meaning we can't afford to be as poor defensively as we were against Morecambe. Brophy won man of the match at Wigan on Saturday, Knibbs scored the opener, Smith got the decisive goal which was his 19th in all competitions, and Ironside is their main striker but has only scored 3 times since our 2-0 victory at The Valley back in December. Elsewhere, goalkeeper Mitov is a former Addick and has kept 12 clean sheets this season, showing his ability at the end of the Wigan game with a fantastic double save to keep the 3 points heading back to CB5.

Charlton Team News
Charlton's U23s play Cardiff City at home on Tuesday afternoon meaning there is little chance of any youngsters coming into the first team squad. Aneke returned and scored on Friday and will continue from the bench. Washington was rested from the start following the risk of overplaying since his own return to the team; Burstow tried but you could see he's not at the level required yet. Dobson had a rare off day in the centre of the park but that can be forgiven when he's been the only consistent player throughout the season. In front of him, Morgan and Gilbey were largely anonymous so Forster-Caskey will be looking to start ahead of one of them. Elliot Lee and Scott Fraser missed out again with the latter suffering from a knee issue, he will be hoping to be involved in the final couple of games of the season. Elsewhere, Ryan Inniss completes his final match ban of the 3 so will be back in the squad on Saturday.

Subs: Harness, Purrington, Morgan, Lee, Jaiyesimi, Leko, Burstow

Prediction

I just want this season to be over and so I hope to sign out of the previews with a win. Right now, I am unsure whether I wish to continue but maybe we all just need a break of all things Charlton for a month or so. Come back with a fresh mind and new players through the door because business needs to be done early. Until then, we have a matter of 3 games to go and signing off positively is desperately needed. Unfortunately, I am not convinced that with the uncertainty surrounding all aspects of the club, a positive ending will follow.

Cambridge United 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Blackett-Taylor

Comments

• well done Sage, I do enjoy your previews and hope you continue next season, by the way did M-B say anything when the 3rd goal went in?

I feel similar and have had enough of this season which makes the stats harder to do, but let's all hope for better next season.

• Surely it's time to give the kids a go? 
  • Yeah well done for these preview's even when the chips are down and they have been down from the start of the season. Terrible season and nothing to play for but I still want to see a decent performance and win. I keep saying it but I don't think I have ever wanted a season to be over so much in over 50 years of my support. Can't wait for the final whistle to blow at Portman Road in two weeks. We can do it all again next season!
  • Sage said:
    Surely it's time to give the kids a go? 
    They’re playing Tuesday afternoon themselves so won’t be involved. Actually think that with a few out on loan, it leaves a lot of U18s playing a level up so wouldn’t be fair to put them into the first team either. Assess them in pre-season. 
    That and the ones who are old enough aren't good enough. 
  • Would drop Burstow out of the squad, he isn't ready for first team football and isn't ours anyway.  If he has signed a contract give Leaburn a chance to sit on the bench (assuming Kanu is injured).  Would consider bench places for others of the kids who will be here next season too.  Leko and Lee hopefully won't be here so I would leave them out for the last 3 games.
  • Another game already... do we have to?
  • Sponsored links:

• 3-0 Cambridge. 
  • Been a pleasure as always to share the Match Preview duties with both yourself and @Ben18 this season

Cant wait to write the last one against Ipswich next week myself
    Of course, apologies @Ben18 . Thank you as well.

• If only our playing squad could emulate the quality, determination and commitment of the match previews on CL.

• Been a pleasure as always to share the Match Preview duties with both yourself and @Ben18 this season

Cant wait to write the last one against Ipswich next week myself
    Indeed, well done @Ben18 at least we had a cup run so it extended your debut season!
  • Aneke on bench, right?
  • 2-1 to Charlton.
  • Aneke on bench, right?

Should be unless he injured himself again on Friday 😂
  • I look forward to these previews and offer a hearty thanks for the work that you guys put in. 

Cambridge are 2/1 to win this. 
    It’s like finding money in the street !
    CUFC 3-1 CAFC

We need a Wiggins,Dervitte,Kermo, Pritchard style recruitment drive - and it needs doing ASAP. 
    We can’t go into next year with our hopes pinned on Pearce, Morgan, Gilbey, Famewo, DJ etc. 
    Also, somebody needs to start talking to Prem clubs for more  Gallagher,Cullen, Beilik, types to loan. 
  • My prediction; moaning, lots of moaning.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2/1 seems generous for them to win at home. I'm on that.
  • 1-1. Hoping JFC and Washington starts over Burstow and Morgan. 
    Probably more excited to see which youth teams players are on the bench than anything about the game. 
  • 1-1. Hoping JFC and Washington starts over Burstow and Morgan. 
    Probably more excited to see which youth teams players are on the bench than anything about the game. 
    You appear to be wishing for a Gilbey start in that case too. Lol 
  • edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    Off_it said:
    My prediction; moaning, lots of moaning.
    That's if we win, what if we lose?
    That's simple, there would be lot's of "Told Ya"....
    Anyway that's irrelevant 'cos we're gonna WIN....👌  B)
  • IdleHans said:
    2/1 seems generous for them to win at home. I'm on that.
    I just can’t bring myself to bet against us, even when it’s like printing money. 
  • We are now FOUR points behind Cambridge, a newly promoted L2 side who lost their star player Paul Mullin to Wrexham. A sign of our underachievement, but also of what a great job Bonner is doing there.
  • I have no idea. 
  • Can see a few changes .. think Stockley will be rested with Aneke and Washington up top .. can see Nile John getting a run out with JFC and Dobson in mid .. Purrington back at left wing back with CBT moving to right …. Cambridge are making a number of changes as well according to there website 
  • Last three games one draw one win one lost….. tomorrow will be the draw 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!