Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Rotherham United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 9th April 2022

Comments

• Options
    I thought we struggled for most of the first half, particularly in the early stages, when it looked as if Rotherham's forceful, direct approach and high press might overwhelm us. We were unable to generate any combination play in order to work the ball up the field or win and hold onto the ball when we went long (which was most of the time). The very poor performances of Morgan and Gilbey in that first half meant that Dobbo was lacking any real support in midfield, although I felt that he and Pearce held the team together during that difficult period.

We were much better in the second half and, after Dobbo's excellent strike, Rotherham seemed to run out of ideas, energy and belief. We defended well, with MacGillivray, Pearce and Clare particularly impressive and the rest of the team also upped their game. We could easily have had a further goal or two if we had taken more care with the final ball but we saw the game out reasonably comfortably for an excellent three points. Happy days.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MacG: 7.5 his best performance in awhile
    Clare: 7.5
    Pearce: 8
    Famewo: 7.5
    Dobson: 9 mom
    Matthews: 6.5
    Gilbey: 4 looked off the pace
    Morgan: 2 (.5 for the assist that even Dazzler could have made). JFC instead please
    B-T: 6.5 inconsistent today but his pace is needed in this side
    Stockley: 7
    Washington: 7.5 typical performance. His pace and movement scared them but his finishing let him down. Would be in the championship if he could ever learn how to finish
    Referee: 7
    Opposition: 5 expecting a lot more of them.  
    Morgan 2…..FFS how ridiculous!🤨
    Even more so "even dazzler could have made" I'm proper non league so don't assume anything.

Even though anyone in our team could and should have been able to make that assist, nobody else was there for Taylor to release the ball to and nobody else weighted the ball perfectly in Dobson's path for him to rocket the ball into the net. I admit Morgan was mostly ineffective, he was there and didn't give up.
    He got an assist? Not sure you mentioned that before. ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Never want to hear free from desire again. Swear they played that song 5 times in a row before the game today.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Talal said:
    First time in ages I've thought we really looked like a team. No big gaps between the lines, players closing down, competing, backing each other up. So frustrating that we haven't done this more often. 
    If we're not skilful enough fair enough, failure to  put in the effort is a disgrace. 
  • Options
    Dobson or Cullen?
  • Options
    We really are carrying Gilbey. Jacko loves him. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Taking control of your area is hardly a new element. Surely he's been able to do this previously, or he wouldn't of made it this far in his career. He's just found some more bollocks imo. 
    As for the win, I Couldn't keep my eyes open last night, so very pleased to read the result this morning. 
    What is it with this squad? They drive ya bleeding bonkers. 
  • Options
    Team needs to toughen up mentally. Easy to win a no pressure game. Let’s hopefully see what they can do if we are pushing for autos next year and need to win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope all of you who went today enjoyed the win, but I have bad news for the rest of the season

Wins over Burton and Doncaster - I missed them due to Covid
    Dismal defeat against Lincoln and dreary draw against Wimbledon - I was there
    Great win over Rotherham - I went to see Dartford instead

Four games left this season, and I'll be at all of them  :#
    You are me. 
    Bizarre
  • Options
    People giving Morgan+1 for an assist in the player marks thread is so silly. I quite like him but it was a 10 yard pass, if Dobson put it into row z you wouldn't give him an extra 1. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I think with Pearce, he can do the job in two or three game spells nowadays. This is a definite asset as you often need somebody who can come in and do that job. If he is a player coach, I am sure that does not count towards the cap so absolutely we should keep him on if that is the case.
  • Options
    I think with Pearce, he can do the job in two or three game spells nowadays. This is a definite asset as you often need somebody who can come in and do that job. If he is a player coach, I am sure that does not count towards the cap so absolutely we should keep him on if that is the case.
    I think you’re thinking of Wayne Rooney’s salary and financial fair play? I don’t think being a player/coach can be used as a workaround for the squad cap unfortunately.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great away win, super Goal and clean sheet.
    always seem to play better against better teams.
    unfortunately we are inconsistent and lack too much confidence in front of goal.
    we also need another good striker.
    good three points today.👍👍👍👍
  • Options
    On a train home now from Charing X brilliant day out, memories made with my mates and kids and a decent win to throw into the bargain

my daughter made the video of the goal that is going a bit viral and I’m the one she’s referring to when she says ‘yes dad’ absolutely loved it and my kids will remember this day for a long time despite it only being Rotherham 

as for the game, I thought we were totally in control throughout and never looked in trouble. Very solid performance all round 
    Just watched it on twitter mate. Bloody brilliant.