Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Saturday 19th March 2022

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    There was a throw-in just in front of me in the East stand which was about level with Burton's penalty spot. Decent attacking opportunity. We threw it backwards towards Dobson, who turned back towards our goal, and one pass later the ball was back with our goalkeeper. It's infuriating. 
    I was bellowing at the tv at that point. Mentioned it on the match thread too. 
    CBT had actually done well to win the throw in such an advanced position, but then we did that - what was the point? 
    Trouble is, we do it over and over again. And have done for a while now.
    Long throw time, every time at this level. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
     Connors goal was a weird one. You’ll only see that once in a blue moon in any type of football. Credit to Mac for seeing it though. 
    Just watched the highlights again ........ Connor's goal, he's sprinted almost box to box. You say credit to Mac for seeing it though - but first, watch Washington's position defending the long throw, just outside our own box marking the Burton player.

As Mac caught the ball, Washington turned and sprinted from just outside OUR box. He was still midway in our own half (extreme left bottom of the picture 0.11) when Mac launched the ball which first bounced midway in the Burton half, into the space way ahead of Washington's run. Just quick thinking or something pre-meditated? IMO this was something planned in doing if the opportunity arose.

Washington has already scored a goal direct from a Mac long kick this season (Morecambe away, was it?). 
    And probably there have been other attempts to do the same, that haven't worked out.

Anyway, to my way of thinking, this isn't just pure chance, weird, etc ..... but part of the gameplan if the opportunity arises.

I agree that Mac and Connor along with the coaches must have looked at this but frankly you need a lot more in the locker than an opportunistic punt up field. If that’s where we’re spending coaching sessions then god help us. 
    Or like Burton, you could have 65% possession and not get a shot on target in the 90 minutes.

No one is suggesting that's how we're spending all our training sessions .... but it looks to me that it's something that Mac and Washington have been told to be alert to; maybe it's just those 2 players spending a few  minutes to practice that routine from time to time. We've seen it several times before in matches this season for it to be just coincidence - and while it doesn't always come off, it has directly yielded 2 goals already.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    There was a throw-in just in front of me in the East stand which was about level with Burton's penalty spot. Decent attacking opportunity. We threw it backwards towards Dobson, who turned back towards our goal, and one pass later the ball was back with our goalkeeper. It's infuriating. 
    Yep, agree. It's one thing to ensure you retain possession, but why pointlessly concede such an advantageous attacking position?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Now only 4 points behind Cheltenham who are in 12th!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Chunes said:
    We've been doing it for as long as I can remember.
    The opposition (often) get a free kick anywhere near the half way line & send most of the players forward & launch the ball into the box, causing us problems.

If we get a free kick in the same position we knock the ball sideways and backwards & rarely make an opportunity.
    Exactly. Just get it in the box to Stockley and try to win the second ball.

I hope someone can put the question to Jackson at his next Q&A because it's been going on for years and it is mental.
  • Options
    How lucky are we.
  • Options
    One of the worst games I've seen this season. Clare dreadful 1st half. Decent skill by Washington for our 1st goal and CBT scored decent one. Burton are just a kick, bite and Bollock team as 6 bookings showed. Typical Hasselbaink team. Their no. 37 must have been worn out with all the longs throws he had to take, but was good heading practice for Stockley! Hope they go down next season. Best thing about the game an excellent ref, perhaps more females should take up refereeing. Cheers to the wanker who ran on the pitch made me suffer an extra 3 minutes of extra time in the freezing cold lower west. Much better games were Sunderland and Gillingham! Teams with just one attacking plan the long throw are ruining football as if the league 1 standard isn't bad enough.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    The opposition (often) get a free kick anywhere near the half way line & send most of the players forward & launch the ball into the box, causing us problems.

If we get a free kick in the same position we knock the ball sideways and backwards & rarely make an opportunity.

I hope someone can put the question to Jackson at his next Q&A because it's been going on for years and it is mental.
    I think I asked Lee Bowyer and he said we wanted to retain possession.
    But there's no point in my mind if possession achieves a negative outcome.
    We agreed to disagree.

If we were Man C, Liverpool etc, I can see the value in keeping possession, but not when you're Charlton and pass the ball sideways and backwards to end up back where you started.
  • Options
    It would be absolutely wonderful if we could break into League One’s top 12. Imagine the scenes if that were to happen.
    Limbs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It would be absolutely wonderful if we could break into League One’s top 12. Imagine the scenes if that were to happen.
    Honestly, if we could do that I’d probably go to another game before the end of the season. Would be a dream come true.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Chunes said:
    If you have a throw in your opponents half the ball should ALWAYS  be thrown forwards. There are not many times that you can not be offside with a ball played forward & this is one of them. School boy stuff imo. Not only do you get the ball further up the pitch but you drag their defenders back towards their goal. Strikers should immediately move up the line 15-20 yards or towards the box.

Does my nut in everytime I see a throw going backwards. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The Washington/Stockley partnership continues, we're still yet to lose when these two start up front. https://southnorwoodaddick.com/2022/03/17/no-stockley-no-party/
    I've given this a like, partly because its a good article, partly because I like the blog, but mainly because I feel incredibly sorry for any Charlton fan living in South Norwood.
    Been there my whole life somehow, I'll set up a GoFundMe campaign to get me out of there 
  • Options
    I remember saying to myself in August if we can be in and around Cheltenham in May then….

…. we’d be absolutely fooking nowhere.

Is this it now? where we see 12th in L1 as an achievement?
  • Options
    Dobson song shit
    Washington song shit
    Toilet sign shit
    FFAF shit
    Beer shit

Lets get a decent midfield first tho yeah…
  • Options
    Well,that was shit,if anyone starts a thread for the worst game ever seen at the Valley,that has got to be a contender.The only saving grace,was in the east stand,the sun was so bright you could hardly see the game.
    I paid  a rare visit to the fans bar afterwards,as it was the wifes 76 th birthday and we met a couple of old friends there,4 pints of weak lager,2 cokes ,£26.00,I almost had a throbber,I normally pay 3.20 a pint at my local ciu club.Still,Thomas made an appearance and very kindly posed with the wife for a birthday photo,and later sent her a happy birthday message.
    Think I am a bit out of touch on prices,called in at the local chippy on the way home for the first time in ages,£7.00 for a small cod,plus chips,shop was almost empty,wonder why.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    lonman said:
     I love CBT gets the ball looks like he's going to make something happen, which he did yesterday. Unbelievable this guy couldn't get a contract at Tranmere.

CBT told the SLP back in August having just signed for Charlton:

“A lot of things happened towards the end of last season – not getting promoted [from League Two], losing out in the play-offs, and a change of manager,” explained Blackett-Taylor. “So there were a lot of things to think about.

“I enjoyed my two years at Tranmere and I got comfortable where I was. But when you kind of have the possibility to move on to a higher division, and play for a big club like Charlton, it’s something you’ve got to think about.”

To me it sounds like it was his decision to leave Tranmere.

Would be surprised if it was Tranmere's decision to let him go.

Wigan seemed to be interested in the summer, yet seem to remember them not liking the compensation required for him - Tranmere need to have offered a deal for that to be applicable, same with when we lost Fosu.

Cant see it having been a token offer either, just to ensure compensation.

Not with the player going in the opposite direction to the club, unlike us with Tariqe
    CBT came to us on trial, paying is own way. Tranmere had already let him go.
  • Options
    Wonder if the players get a performance bonus for a top 12 finish?

Sandgaard must be thinking of changing the end of game track 'Addicks to Victory' to 'Things Can Only Get Better', as even a victory is now an anticlimax. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:

Advert could have been made more professional looking.  This is shoddy.
    If only there was some kind of frame for an advert to be put into.

Didn’t Chuck Berry get into trouble for having security cameras “for your personal safety and security” in the bogs at his restaurant??  I would suggest the club are bang to rights admitting the fact on the door……….
  • Options
    Everyone on the pitch, bans for everyone!
  • Options
    Wonder if the players get a performance bonus for a top 12 finish?

Performance bonus, medals and an open top bus ride from Woolwich to South Norwood.
  • Options
    Well,that was shit,if anyone starts a thread for the worst game ever seen at the Valley,that has got to be a contender.The only saving grace,was in the east stand,the sun was so bright you could hardly see the game.
    I paid  a rare visit to the fans bar afterwards,as it was the wifes 76 th birthday and we met a couple of old friends there,4 pints of weak lager,2 cokes ,£26.00,I almost had a throbber,I normally pay 3.20 a pint at my local ciu club.Still,Thomas made an appearance and very kindly posed with the wife for a birthday photo,and later sent her a happy birthday message.
    Think I am a bit out of touch on prices,called in at the local chippy on the way home for the first time in ages,£7.00 for a small cod,plus chips,shop was almost empty,wonder why.
    Not disputing your assessment of this game but I wish we were this shit winning 2-0 in the seventies instead of losing 0-5 at half time with it just as bad and more goals against in the second half playing the mighty Luton Town.  At your age I'm sure you would have witnessed countless inept shit games from CAFC.      

Hope your wife enjoyed her Birthday. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I think I asked Lee Bowyer and he said we wanted to retain possession.
    But there's no point in my mind if possession achieves a negative outcome.
    We agreed to disagree.

If we were Man C, Liverpool etc, I can see the value in keeping possession, but not when you're Charlton and pass the ball sideways and backwards to end up back where you started.
    Sounds like coaching the players you wish you had as opposed to the ones you have got.  I don't think it was a Bowyer only problem. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Dobson song shit
    Washington song shit
    Toilet sign shit
    FFAF shit
    Beer shit

Lets get a decent midfield first tho yeah…
    Beats me why the fuck Lee got his song sung towards the end....he's cack.
    He benefits from a catchy tune, that's it.

Every new song this year has been absolute shite. Listening to the atmosphere at Forest last night makes me think we just need to stick to the classics.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I was more concerned by this performance than any I've seen this season. Reason being that pretty much everyone was available. Our first choice strikers actually aren't that bad but passing amongst the rest of the team is the worst I've ever seen from a professional team. If those are the tactics and style of play Jackson has in mind when the whole first team is fit, then I've got serious worries. Pleased we're safe but I'm certainly not watching any more home games this season (a few decent road trips left but it's not exactly the football that makes them attractive). I've got better things to do than watch our centre backs just shank the ball up the pitch or into touch for 90 minutes. Could not believe I was watching paid professional players put in a performance like that. It was embarrassing. I'm sure the players are capable of more so something has gone horribly wrong in the coaching set up. Might need a total overhaul.
    Good first post, and agree with a lot of what you say, Welcome.. B)