Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Burton Albion | Saturday 19th March 2022

Comments

• Options
    paulfox said:
    I’m puzzled as to what some CL members expect - this is Division 3 - we have not been great since Christmas - but we have knuckled down and got back to back wins, after a shocking run of matches / performances 

Given the division we are in - if you are going to matches expecting a glorious display of the beautiful game - dream on - go and watch a London Premier League side

It’s a cruddy standard of football - Burton were shite, and 90% of teams in this league are the same - sadly we are in that 90% at present

But we won - we were the better team - we tried to play the way we want Charlton to play - but it’s fucking difficult in this division to do that

And those calling out Fraser - seriously !!!

He is a quality footballer, but having to play in this shit division - in the Championship, he will shine more than he does at the moment 

Big call out - again - George Dobson - superb

And Conor - wow - what a finish - if that was a Premier League goal, Sky would be wetting themselves over that 

One concern - has Jayden forgotten how to jump for a header ???
    I don’t think anyone is expecting premier league football, however it’s not just today thats disappointing in the way we are playing, it’s the season as a whole, but for a few games as caretaker we have been toilet. I think what people were expecting was to not be talking about two scrappy back to back wins to get us out of a poor run. It’s absolutely clear what we’ve got in front of us and it’s not been good enough all season. These results couldn’t paper over a gorge let alone a crack!!.
    Papering over a gorge would be quite impressive...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Attendance: 11,348

Is that our lowest ever 'Football for a Fiver' crowd?

Speaks volumes doesn't it.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    paulfox said:
    I’m puzzled as to what some CL members expect - this is Division 3 - we have not been great since Christmas - but we have knuckled down and got back to back wins, after a shocking run of matches / performances 

Given the division we are in - if you are going to matches expecting a glorious display of the beautiful game - dream on - go and watch a London Premier League side

It’s a cruddy standard of football - Burton were shite, and 90% of teams in this league are the same - sadly we are in that 90% at present

But we won - we were the better team - we tried to play the way we want Charlton to play - but it’s fucking difficult in this division to do that

He is a quality footballer, but having to play in this shit division - in the Championship, he will shine more than he does at the moment 

And Conor - wow - what a finish - if that was a Premier League goal, Sky would be wetting themselves over that 

I don’t think anyone is expecting premier league football, however it’s not just today thats disappointing in the way we are playing, it’s the season as a whole, but for a few games as caretaker we have been toilet. I think what people were expecting was to not be talking about two scrappy back to back wins to get us out of a poor run. It’s absolutely clear what we’ve got in front of us and it’s not been good enough all season. These results couldn’t paper over a gorge let alone a crack!!.
    Indeed, let’s just say a large crack🤣
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    I don’t mean to be negative after a win, BUT, going forward to next season I really don’t see how that formation and type of footballl makes us a serious bet for a promotion push. All I’m hoping for is that there is a plan in place that personnel coming in are better than we have and are more suited to making the formation a lot more dynamic and able to actually play through midfield and wide areas, rather than diverting that part of the pitch when we go forward. Everything we do is completely off the cuff. Well done on the win today but that was as boring as fuck, and not because we were good and in control. So much has to be better next season and I’m not convinced enough change will be made.
    Agree, I don't think we'll see the clear out that is needed. What's the odds on Matthews resigning in September ?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

It does Bob.
    The season weve had probably one of the worst if not the worst season for all of us and we still get 11000 turning up.
    Years ago we would dream of crowds of 11000.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    paulfox said:

Most Georges I know would not sit still enough to be papered over, you have to distract them with something shiny or trick them into having a nap on a papering table.
  • Options

It's pointless spending a reasonable fee on a creative midfielder like Fraser, if we're not going to play a passing game
    Yeh, it makes you wonder.
    It's like why did we buy Charlie Kirk. He was a success in a team that played a completely different system.
    Do we actual consider any context to players identified by black box stats?
    FWIW I think Fraser is a potential game-changer, but I am not sure where he fits behind an old fashioned little and large forward line
  • Options
    Not very pretty but delighted with the win, let's have a few more before the season ends. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With a bit of luck we could be in the top 60 teams in the UK by the end of the season.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Bolton are 12 pts ahead of us in 11th, so I imagine 12th is the highest we could finish this season 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Oggy Red said:

It does Bob.
    The season weve had probably one of the worst if not the worst season for all of us and we still get 11000 turning up.
    Years ago we would dream of crowds of 11000.
    Years ago ? Well I remember back in the 70s the 3000 against Halifax  & similar & the shithurst years but I'm sure that you're not talking about 40/50 years ago are you ? The post premier years (& my short term memory isn't so great these days so forgive me if I've missed some) I'm pretty sure we haven't seen too many sub 11k attendances for league matches so when were you dreaming of 11k attendances ? Anyway the main point is, no matter how poor we have been in this miserable season our average gate has officially been 16,328. So I'm sure that with the "Football for a fiver" offer the attendance might well have been expected to be at least the average of 16k not 5k less.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Football for a fiver works when it provides a rare opportunity for the uncommitted to get into a game without paying full price. It’s not going to work when all and sundry have been allowed in for nothing for every recent game. 

The numbers just don’t stack up with that crowd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Enjoyed the day..the football was so bad. Someone tell me this midfield is good enough. Burton's midfield played them off the park. The worst part of that statement is, Burton were awful. And yet they still absolutely dominated the middle of the park. 
    Every midfield seemingly plays us off the park, even League 2’s Hartlepool’s and national leagues Gateshead. But that’s mainly because we always seem to bypass the midfield as we have no clue how to bring the ball out the back, unless it’s from a quick counter attack. 
    100% This.

We don't even try to pass through the midfield. I fear it's because the players are not comfortable in how to do so with this shape. That's a failing of the coaching, and that is why I'd hate to have Jackson next season.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Its the third division its going to be shit, as long as you play just slightly less shit than the opposition you have a chance. I haven't seen many teams that are playing proper football and have any star quality, they are just better organised with fitter squads.
  • Options
    That was pretty dire. Yes, we got the 3 points but our performance was awful. I don’t think Jackson has a clue. 
  • Options
    31 points gained at The Valley this season, putting us 15th in home form table. 11 less points than Rotherham who have collected 42 points and are top.

• Options
    At about 5.15pm yesterday I thought, ‘Oh, I wonder how Charlton got on today’. What a sad state of affairs.