Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Boys of Summer 2022

1234568»

Comments

• I’m as big a baseball fan as anyone but the World Champions thing does always make me chuckle…….
    Indeed.  The World in World Series refers to a newspaper, not the planet we live on.
  • Thought the pitching and bullpen might struggle this season but they were excellent, particularly the bullpen.

Thought letting Correa go would be a big miss but Peña was outstanding. As was Alvarez.
  • I’m as big a baseball fan as anyone but the World Champions thing does always make me chuckle…….
    Indeed.  The World in World Series refers to a newspaper, not the planet we live on.
    Not so
  • Enjoyable series and as I thought might happen the Astros overall strength proved just too much for the Phillies. Having taken the lead with the Schwarber home run the Phillies will wonder if they made the right call taking out the impressive Wheeler and bringing in Alvarado who struggled, giving up the 3 run homer to Alvarez which effectively decided the game. The Phillies fought hard and you fancy will be back, but really pleased for Dusty Baker who finally gets a World Series win as a manager. Roll on 2023.
  • Astros winning means the streak of different champions reduces from 8 to 5.
    A Phillies win would’ve made it 9, still one short of the record of 10 in a row from 1978-1987.
    If the record is to be broken, there will need to be 6 different champions in the next 6 years, (but not Red Sox, Nationals, Dodgers, Braves or Astros.)

Also, Houston Astros recent success is made all the more remarkable by the fact that of their 5 WS appearances since formation in 1962, 4 of them have come in the last 6 years. It seems their decision to move from NL to AL in 2013 worked out quite well for them! 
  • edited November 2022
    I’m as big a baseball fan as anyone but the World Champions thing does always make me chuckle…….
    Not so
    Henry is correct here. The “New York World” newspaper was not a sponsor of the World Series in the old days, but it did report on it like all the other papers. Calling it the World Series (Actually, originally it was the “World’s Championship Series”) was a marketing ploy to attract interest from the general public. It was also considered a given that the US champs were pretty much unbeatable by anyone else in the world - pretty indisputable at the time. This is maybe less so now as baseball is huge in Japan, Korea, Mexico, Cuba and a few other countries and has a healthy, if not enthusiastic following around the world. 
    It’s still probably safe to say that if the Astros were to challenge the best team from the rest of the world which, for the sake of argument, could be the Japan champions, Orix Buffaloes, then you’d still expect the American champions to prevail, such is the infrastructure, tradition, number of participants and ‘national game’ status of baseball in the US. But I honestly think MLB should think about opening this up as a route moving forward. The rest of the world sniggers at Americans and their lack of international awareness anyway, so this could be a step towards addressing that. Then again, I don’t think they really care what we think. 😂
  • 10 points to Gryffindor if you can tell me what this is? 
  • sam3110 said:
    10 points to Gryffindor if you can tell me what this is? 
    Fenway Park - Ted Williams 502 ft home run seat.

• Weird to see it laid out as a football field
  • edited March 2023
    Won't be long until the 2023 thread is opened I'm sure but posting this here from over on the Cricket thread...

• Sponsored links:

• Won't be long until the 2023 thread is opened I'm sure but posting this here from over on the Cricket thread...

I have a vague recollection of a Kent CCC player having a spell training with an MLB team (Mets maybe?) and writing an article about it.
    David Fulton or his era maybe?
    Anyone able to enlighten?
  • Any interest in the World Baseball Classic?

Australia upset Korea 8-7 last night in Pool B.

Team GB making their first ever appearance in WBC. They will play their first match against the USA in Phoenix on Saturday night.
  • Team GB just getting started against the USA.
  • edited March 2023
    Trayce Thompson HR for Team GB!!

A surprise 1-0 lead for Great Britain
  • edited March 2023
    Final score 6-2 to the American team.

In all honesty, with how incredibly talented the US side is, that is a very respectable result. Team GB did themselves proud.

The 3-run HR from Kyle Schwarber is what killed us.
  • Team GB currently lead against Colombia 7-3 in the top of the 8th inning.

It would surely be Team GB's best ever result in baseball?
  • edited March 2023
    Gibaut pitches GB out of a sticky situation... only three more outs required for an amazing result.
  • Come on GB. That was tense.
  • Sponsored links:

• GB wins 7-5. Great result. :-)
  • edited March 2023
    After USA beat Colombia last night, that confirmed that Team GB would not finish bottom of Pool C by virtue of their head to head victory over the Colombians.

They are now no longer required to go through qualifying phases to be involved in the next edition. All teams that finished 1st-4th in their pool are automatically qualified for next time

Brilliant news.