Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer 2022

Comments

• Options
    Put quite simply:

Come on Cleveland. Scummy Yankees spend spend spend and if they still can’t win it at least there is some positive in the sporting world 
  • Options
    Just not right that 2 wild cards make the NLCS final IMHO.
    That's not based on bias that the Cards were eliminated - they deserved to be. But to have the teams with the 5th and 6th best records over the season, both with <90 wins, and none of the 3 with 100+ wins decide the NL championship, just ain't right.
    However many they want to have qualify for the post-season, they should be whittled down to 1 among all of them before taking on the Division champions IMHO.
    It’s a fair point. It does rather diminish the achievement of being the best team for the whole of the regular season when two “best of the rest” teams can roll in and effectively be a banana skin for anyone.

Having said that, there have been years where a team has won its division for no reason other than that the teams in that division was utterly awful that year. It seems appropriate in those circumstances that they have to play an extra wildcard game in order to progress to the postseason proper. 
    Not quite the case this year, but sometimes it would be.

At the end of the day though, getting to the postseason is only half the job. You’ve got to finish it off. Sometimes an inferior team will hit form at the right time. That’s sport for you!
             2021-22            W   GD  Pts
    1 Manchester City (C) 29 +73  93 
    2 Liverpool                 28 +68  92
    3 Chelsea                   21 +43  74
    4 Tottenham Hotspur 22 +29  71
    5 Arsenal                   22 +13  69
    6 Manchester United  16  +0   58

How about a post-season knockout to decide the true champions in which Arsenal play Man U?
  • Options
    Some amazing games yesterday. Sorry to see the Dodgers go out but fair play to San Diego. Don't think many would have predicted a Phillies/Padres NLCS but that's what we have. I'll take the Phillies to progress. Astros now clear favourites to win it all after their epic 18 inning win over the Mariners, especially as the Yankees are on the brink after the Gaurdians comeback win yesterday. Astros are the best overall team and I expect them to win the ALCS and then win the Series, but who knows with was has happened so far. Can't beat Post season Baseball.
  • Options
    That's not based on bias that the Cards were eliminated - they deserved to be. But to have the teams with the 5th and 6th best records over the season, both with <90 wins, and none of the 3 with 100+ wins decide the NL championship, just ain't right.
    However many they want to have qualify for the post-season, they should be whittled down to 1 among all of them before taking on the Division champions IMHO.
    It’s a fair point. It does rather diminish the achievement of being the best team for the whole of the regular season when two “best of the rest” teams can roll in and effectively be a banana skin for anyone.

Having said that, there have been years where a team has won its division for no reason other than that the teams in that division was utterly awful that year. It seems appropriate in those circumstances that they have to play an extra wildcard game in order to progress to the postseason proper. 

At the end of the day though, getting to the postseason is only half the job. You’ve got to finish it off. Sometimes an inferior team will hit form at the right time. That’s sport for you!

How about a post-season knockout to decide the true champions in which Arsenal play Man U?
    If the rules before the season started were set up that way and Man U had beaten Chelsea and Liverpool, and Arsenal had beaten Tottenham and Man City, fair enough.
  • Options

If the rules before the season started were set up that way and Man U had beaten Chelsea and Liverpool, and Arsenal had beaten Tottenham and Man City, fair enough.
    Yes, but the point is those Rules (which have been tweaked several times over the years) were in force for the first time this season and, for the first time among their various iterations, allowed for the possibility of 2 wild cards making the Championship Final.
    Hey presto, it’s happened (because late season form can be pivotal) and we have 5th and 6th best over the season contesting it.
    I’ll guarantee they change the rules again to prevent a repeat.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

But a version of what you’re describing there sort of happens already because the top four get to contest the champions league. I know it’s unlikely to happen, but Spurs could theoretically win the “Champions League” despite having not been the domestic champion for over 50 years.
    We all know it stinks a bit, and it’s weighted to benefit the bigger teams, but it’s how they make more money from the game. Baseball and football might be very different sports, but they’re both driven by money. However, Baseball, in my opinion, has the moral high ground here because the balance is tipped towards the weaker teams by this new wildcard development as well as the draft system.

Personally, I find the way it’s unfolded this year to be slightly unfortunate for the winningest sides, but it doesn’t bother me too much. I’d even go so far as to say it’s a bit of a shame Seattle couldn’t beat Houston too, because I’m getting a bit bored of seeing the Dodgers, Yanks or Astros plus one or two other teams contesting the Championship Series. (You have to go back to 2016 for a year where these three teams didn’t make up at least two of the Champ Series contestants. And 2015 for a year when none of them were involved.)
    So it could be argued that this has leveled the playing field a bit.

I do appreciate that this year’s NLDS outcomes could be a little annoying to some and might seem a bit unfair, but baseball, to its credit, proactively keeps its fans interested by giving everyone a chance - bear in mind that, although the Astros, Yanks and Dodgers are in this extended period of dominance in their respective leagues, they’ve only won the World Series twice between them in the last 13 years! Unfair or not, that makes for greater interest in the game in general and rewards teams that combine a good enough record over the season and the mental and physical strength to get through the postseason.

If the Guardians, Phillies or Padres (or even, ironically, the damn Yanks!) win the WS this year, it’ll be the 9th different champion in a row. Like the system or not, that’s competitive.
  • Options
    You seem to think I'm questioning the whole play off system. I'm not. I don't dispute that baseball is great for keeping it competitive.
    I'm not even questioning 3 wild cards, even though we could have World Series Champs that finished 3rd in their Division.
    By all means have 3 wild card teams. 
    I'm just saying that it's wrong IMHO for the NLCS to be contested by 2 wild cards - teams that had the 5th and 6th best records in the regular season.
    That's easily resolved by having the wild card play offs as 1 game eliminators:
    6th vs 5th
    winner vs 4th
    then as before:
    1 wild card vs best record Div winner
    3rd v 2nd best record Div winners

• Options
    Are you sure this is true Peanuts? :smile:

The only folks I’ve seen upset about this online are Dodgers and Cardinals fans!
  • Options
    You seem to think I'm questioning the whole play off system. I'm not. I don't dispute that baseball is great for keeping it competitive.
    I'm not even questioning 3 wild cards, even though we could have World Series Champs that finished 3rd in their Division.
    I'm just saying that it's wrong IMHO for the NLCS to be contested by 2 wild cards - teams that had the 5th and 6th best records in the regular season.
    6th vs 5th
    winner vs 4th
    then as before:

Well, ok, but that’s not a perfect solution either because it brings its own problems. 
    At the end of the day, if you’re happy to have a third place team win it all then the line you’ve drawn as being the boundary of acceptability is weirdly specific.
    As @Callumcafc says above; despite your statement to the contrary, I suspect your irritation may be coloured by your affinity to the Cards 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    6th vs 5th
    winner vs 4th
    then as before:

Well, ok, but that’s not a perfect solution either because it brings its own problems. 
    At the end of the day, if you’re happy to have a third place team win it all then the line you’ve drawn as being the boundary of acceptability is weirdly specific.
    As @Callumcafc says above; despite your statement to the contrary, I suspect your irritation may be coloured by your affinity to the Cards 😉

Your suspicions are totally awry. The Cards deserved to go out and would have lost to any of the 3 wild cards or Braves or Dodgers. 
    It's just my view that 2 wild card finalists demeans the value of what it takes to excel over the full season. Simple.
    But you disagree, that's fine.
  • Options
    6th vs 5th
    winner vs 4th
    then as before:

Your suspicions are totally awry. The Cards deserved to go out and would have lost to any of the 3 wild cards or Braves or Dodgers. 
    It's just my view that 2 wild card finalists demeans the value of what it takes to excel over the full season. Simple.
    But you disagree, that's fine.
    Fair enough. You’re entitled to your view, and I even understand where you’re coming from, but imo it’s inconsistent. If it’s ok for a wild card team to win it, why is it not ok to have 2 in the NLCS? The Cards deserved to go out, but so did the Dodgers and the Braves, so it seems the right teams went through.,. I just don’t see anything demeaning the competition, just teams peaking at the right time being rewarded.

But as you say, disagreements are allowed. That’s what makes conversation interesting. 😎

• Options
    But isn’t this format what both the players and owners wanted and brought in, in the recent CBA ? 
  • Options
    It is really unfair, which is why it's really funny. Come on Padres!
  • Options
    Looks like the Yankees are heading for the ALCS against Houston. Already 4-0 up on Cleveland in the bottom of the 2nd.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    After losing game 1 of the NLCS to Phillies last night and being down 4-0 after two innings today, the Padres find themselves with a 7-4 lead through five innings in game 2. Before today, this one felt like a must win at home. Heading to Philadelphia with a 2-0 series deficit would've been hard to overcome.
  • Options
    Padres win game 2 (score 8-5) to tie the NCLS at 1-1.

Astros win game 1 (score 4-2) to take a 1-0 lead in the ALCS.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Astros taking a 2-0 series lead to New York after winning game 2 3-2.

Game 3 of NLCS in Philadelphia tomorrow.
  • Options
    Come on Houston! #anyonebuttheyankees
  • Options
    Astros win game three at Yankee Stadium 5-0. They have now won six, lost 0 in the post season.

Yankees will need a reverse sweep (or on this site known as a triple Golfie) to make the World Series.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Padres/Phillies through three innings with a 4-3 lead for the Padres.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Astros win game three at Yankee Stadium 5-0. They have now won six, lost 0 in the post season.

Yankees will need a reverse sweep (or on this site known as a triple Golfie) to make the World Series.
    Quite a long shot. It’s amazing really how few comebacks from 3-0 down there have been.
    It’s relatively common knowledge that the 2004 Red Sox are the only team to successfully complete a reverse sweep in a 7 game series, but less known is that it’s one of only 2 occasions where a team has managed to even level a series after being 3-0 down, let alone win it. And the second occasion was just two years ago when the Tampa Bay Rays finally won 4-3 after blowing a 3-0 lead.

The losing teams on these two occasions? Yankees and Astros.
  • Options
    Both the starters last night for Philies and Padres were benched before completing their first innings
  • Options
    Phillies on the brink as a Harper 2 run homer in the 8th gives them a 4-3 lead and 3 outs away from a World Series appearance.
  • Options
    Bet no one thought that when sacked their coach earlier in season 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    Bet no one thought that when sacked their coach earlier in season 
    Phillies are my team and I stopped followimg the results closely mid season because they were so far off the pace, was a shock when they reached post season. Got a lot of very excited friends in Philly

Robertson having a complete mare on the mound in the 9th though. 2 walks, meaning 2 base runnings and only the 1 out before he yanked
  • Options
    Phillies seal it and advance to the World Series.
  • Options
    Nola flies out with runners on 2nd and 3rd, Phillies win and are in the world series!
  • Options
    Well done to the Phillies for winning the NL pennant reaching the Series. Presuming Houston make it from the AL they will start underdogs but will have a fighters chance. Should be fun.