Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tuesday Dilemma

My Mrs and I are in the process of returning to the UK after 12 years in France. We were all set on an area and had a reasonable idea of what we’d be doing work wise (Mrs already has a job that is easily transferable). Then, I was offered a job that isn’t quite a dream job, but definitely one that I’d love to do. The options are below, which would you take?

Option A –

- A better area than Option B.

- Only an hour drive in any direction to me or my Mrs’ immediate family members

- Housing is far more expensive than Option B.

- The job is right up my street and in an industry I already have an interest in.

- Mrs can stay at the location where she has been based, on and off, since beginning of 2019.

- We’ll both be working in the same town, only about 10 minutes drive apart.

- Guaranteed job, but the wages are about 25% less than the jobs I’ve been looking at in Option B.

Option B –

- Not as nice as Option A.

- Cheaper housing stock.

- Better wages.

- 2 to 2.5 hours drive to visit family.

- Potentially, quite a bit more money, but no guaranteed job at this time.

Comments

• Depends if you would be struggling option A, if you can be comfortable option A. If money is more needed and dont want to just get by option B
  • Depends if you would be struggling option A, if you can be comfortable option A. If money is more needed and dont want to just get by option B
    It'll be tight, but will still be able to afford a bottle of wine at the end of the week
  • Based on the enthusiasm of the descriptions of Option A to Option B, I think it’s clear that you would prefer option A so go with that 👍🏼
  • I'd have done as you have. Best of luck to both of you 
  • I’d have gone for A. Money really isn’t everything and the other aspects that A seems better for would be of more value to me personally.

either way, best of luck mate 
  • When I was younger I’d always chase the money or prestige job. After battling with work related stress I realised I was wrong. After that I worked from what do I need rather than what could I get in pay and also went for levels of responsibility that allowed me to enjoy my time out of office.

Option A any time as long as you can afford it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Quality of life is far more important than money, as long as you can live comfortably enough for you and your family without deliberating over every penny spent I'd say Option A is definitely the better choice. Congratulations.
  • Option A sounds better, things can change on all accounts, so that longer drive to see family might be worse when petrol prices go through the roof. 
  • Once you’re past the settling in process for new everything, I think that the quality of life and family issues will be the most important things to you. Good luck whatever.
  • I would have gone for B apart from the job...... 
  • Option A - what you lose in wages, you save on petrol
  • A - you did right
  • Gribbo said:

My Mrs and I are in the process of returning to the UK after 12 years in France. We were all set on an area and had a reasonable idea of what we’d be doing work wise (Mrs already has a job that is easily transferable). Then, I was offered a job that isn’t quite a dream job, but definitely one that I’d love to do. The options are below, which would you take?

Option A –

- The job is right up my street and in an industry I already have an interest in.

- Mrs can stay at the location where she has been based, on and off, since beginning of 2019.

- Guaranteed job, but the wages are about 25% less than the jobs I’ve been looking at in Option B.

Option B –

- Cheaper housing stock.

- Better wages.

Option C?  5 hours drive to the family?
  • A. 

Assuming the money you earn will still afford the basic necessities and not cause stress by money worries the premium of happiness is invaluable and sounds like that will come with A.

Good luck mate!
  • Sponsored links:

• I was all for option a but "2 to 2.5 hours drive to visit family" in option b swung it for me.  You can't put a price on a benefit like that.  
  • Stig said:

Option Z
  • Option A

Sounds like B is up north
  • MrOneLung said:
    Option A

Correct 
  • A - Quality of life and closeness of family etc. 
  • Gribbo said:

Option A –

Option B –

- Cheaper housing stock.

- Better wages.

Isn’t it bad enough living with her?
  • Gribbo can I ask.
    Even with the family an hour away how often would you be seeing them?
  • A, but consider rising cost of living you'll be facing in the coming few years.

Can you play job A off against job B and ask for more?
  • MrOneLung said:
    Option A

Oi! Nothing wrong with the north! 
  • clb74 said:
    Gribbo can I ask.
    Even with the family an hour away how often would you be seeing them?
    Gonna try and see my dad and brother's family every other weekend if possible. Make up for lost time as only seen them a handful of times since my nephew was born and even before that. With t only being an hour, can even go round of an evening in the summer