Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 26th February 2022

Comments

• Is Skiverton any good? We seem to be getting worse and worse since he got with us.
  • Yes it's been awful but we've lost to 6th, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 10th teams in the last five matches. 
    Beware of  The Ides of March, as we can't afford the losing run to continue through the next month when we face Stanley, Gills, AFC, Donny or we will be gone for a Burton! Next Saturday V Sunderland, Jacko needs to have a re-think, he has a week at Sparrows Lane to fix the mess of 3-5-2, sort the defence out and be prepared to mix it up.
    The problems at Charlton run deep, as with any organisation, one has to look at top and things aren't right with Sandguard in charge. He certainly doesn't have the experience, knowledge or people at club to advise him, no CEO? his son involved in recruitment? He doesn't own The Valley, Sparrows Lane and to cap it all his company Zynex is tanking so does he even have the funds needed for a summer rebuild? 
    Zynex tanking?

This is from Dave Rudd’s helpful analysis on the Q and A with TS thread:

3) I will need to check the figures, but I heard a predicted Total Revenue of $150 to 170M for 2022 .. and this is up 15 to 30% from last year

4) Net income was $8.9m ... up 398% from last year!

5) Zynex has about $42.6M in cash (up from $39.2M in 2020)
  • Yes it's been awful but we've lost to 6th, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 10th teams in the last five matches. 
    Beware of  The Ides of March, as we can't afford the losing run to continue through the next month when we face Stanley, Gills, AFC, Donny or we will be gone for a Burton! Next Saturday V Sunderland, Jacko needs to have a re-think, he has a week at Sparrows Lane to fix the mess of 3-5-2, sort the defence out and be prepared to mix it up.
    The problems at Charlton run deep, as with any organisation, one has to look at top and things aren't right with Sandguard in charge. He certainly doesn't have the experience, knowledge or people at club to advise him, no CEO? his son involved in recruitment? He doesn't own The Valley, Sparrows Lane and to cap it all his company Zynex is tanking so does he even have the funds needed for a summer rebuild? 
    Zynex tanking?

This is from Dave Rudd’s helpful analysis on the Q and A with TS thread:

3) I will need to check the figures, but I heard a predicted Total Revenue of $150 to 170M for 2022 .. and this is up 15 to 30% from last year

4) Net income was $8.9m ... up 398% from last year!

5) Zynex has about $42.6M in cash (up from $39.2M in 2020)
    Might have meant the share price 

• Slightly different picture when you look further back
  • Amazingly we are now in a relegation fight, not a chance I thought I would be saying that this season.
    It's time to smell the coffee ! If the last 4 performances ( not results by the way ) are the norm for the remainder of the season we will go down.
    JJ is now making the normal soundbite statements of a manager who knows he is in trouble. It will improve when we get players back etc. EVERY club has injury crisis at times but it's how you deal with them that counts. To say he doesnt want to move away from 352 as it would waste all the work they have put in is ridiculous. Havent got the players available to play that formation so play one that you can play ffs.
    Yes the players can be blamed for performances but JJ picks the team and the shape they play so at the end of the day it's down to him. If he wants to persist with it then I honestly dont think he will be here in a few weeks. The risk of relegation is to great to allow him to be stubborn 
  • edited February 2022
    AndyG said:
    Amazingly we are now in a relegation fight, not a chance I thought I would be saying that this season.
    It's time to smell the coffee ! If the last 4 performances ( not results by the way ) are the norm for the remainder of the season we will go down.
    JJ is now making the normal soundbite statements of a manager who knows he is in trouble. It will improve when we get players back etc. EVERY club has injury crisis at times but it's how you deal with them that counts. To say he doesnt want to move away from 352 as it would waste all the work they have put in is ridiculous. Havent got the players available to play that formation so play one that you can play ffs.
    Yes the players can be blamed for performances but JJ picks the team and the shape they play so at the end of the day it's down to him. If he wants to persist with it then I honestly dont think he will be here in a few weeks. The risk of relegation is to great to allow him to be stubborn 
    A lot of the critism is around the formation, as it was with Adkins, Robinson and a lesser extent Bowyer. 

When the manager leaves we seem to drastically change the formation but at the same time the work rate and commitment to everything increase massively.  I think too many people conflate the two too much.

If we had used the same players in a different formation, any other formation, and they put in the same amount of fight, didn't pick up their man at set pieces etc we would have got the same result.  And for the last 10 matches. 

If we played 352, 433, 4231, the diamond or anything else with the intensity we showed when Jackson was the caretaker we would win more often than not.  If we play with the same incepted attitude we have shown lately we won't. 
  • So Jacko reckons the ship has sailed as regards this season. 
    I’d say we were up sh*t creek without a paddle. 

• Sponsored links:

• Just inexplicable.  

Will we just keep pressing repeat until we are relegated ? 
  • A cracking day out but another dire performance from a Charlton side totally devoid of confidence and belief.

An extremely passive start enabled Wednesday to pin us back and present Bannon with four set play opportunities, the last of which saw us behind after just 6 minutes. The second killer goal just before half time saw us concede from the now customary ball inside the wing back, leaving Patterson with an easy tap in from Johnson’s cross - and that was effectively that.

We were unable to put more than 2 or 3 passes together and I barely remember us winning a 50/50 challenge all afternoon. Wednesday cannot have had a more comfortable game all season and they barely had to get out of second gear. Fortunately for us, they have a game on Tuesday and, with the result in no doubt, eased right off the gas in the second half.

Our defence was shaky (with the exception of Lavelle) and the midfield was completely outplayed, with Bannon the master of the field. Unsurprisingly, we were toothless up front, especially given the lack of service. Practically every player was below par, with Gilbey - the invisible man - Famewo - continual hoofing into touch - and Leko particularly exasperating. We were sat at the back of the South Stand towards the end Charlton were ‘attacking’ in the second half and Leko’s brainless straying into offside positions was utterly inept.

It’s difficult to know where we go from here and, unfortunately, Jacko shows no sign of being able to arrest the slide. Hopefully Stockley and Fraser will be fit to start on Saturday, as Sunderland and Accie the following week will be difficult opponents. Very worryingly, this team don’t look as if they have the stomach for a relegation dogfight if - as is entirely possible - we get sucked into one. 

• Is Skiverton any good? We seem to be getting worse and worse since he got with us.
    Surprising really 
    Anyone would think we got him from a non league club.
  • edited February 2022
    Bannan is the 'out ball' for Wednesday and they would struggle without him.
    We don't have an 'out ball' as none of our midfield are comfortable in possession. Hence we pass it around aimlessly or hoof it forward.
    JFC would be closest we have, but obviously he will always be injured.
  • To put our 5 defeats in a row in context, watching Quest just now, Millwall now have 4 WINS in a row. In a higher division

Cardiff
    QPR
    Derby
    Sheffield United
  • Sheff Wed 2-0 Charlton | League One highlights | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports
    One of the big differences between us and them as all too often is the case was Bannan .. at least Stockley is playing again
  • I mentioned it earlier but I think Bannan is a joy to watch at this level. Amongst a sea of hoof it merchants and work horses and is head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch. Constantly looks for the ball, even it tight areas. always in space when he receives the ball so his back 4 don’t have to lump it all the time and drives forward. How many intricate little first time passes did he play down the side of our defenders yesterday. The thing is that Gilbey and Lee looked like they could get to that level against Plymouth and Ipswich, now look at them. I’m sure he’s on a big wedge but he is a massive difference at this grade of football.
    He's an excellent player in this league. Thought he was great against us at The Valley 1st game of the season, although he did miss a glorious chance! He's like Andy Reid, one of those player who just runs the game and makes things happen. We don't have a player at his level, but maybe Fraser could be that man? 
  • edited February 2022
    se9addick said:
    To put our 5 defeats in a row in context, watching Quest just now, Millwall now have 4 WINS in a row. In a higher division

Cardiff
    QPR
    Derby
    Sheffield United
    I don’t welcome this additional context! 
    Yep. Feel shit enough already... bog off!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2022
    “I’m disappointed,” Jackson told CharltonTV. “It was too comfortable a day for Sheffield Wednesday",...
    no shit  Jacko, understatement of the year..you could swap SW for any of our last half dozen opponents and give the same response, I only hope he was slightly less polite in the dressing room at full time, we are too predictable, keep that up and much as it pains me to say it but league 2...there you are i've said it..... :s
  • To put our 5 defeats in a row in context, watching Quest just now, Millwall now have 4 WINS in a row. In a higher division

Cardiff
    QPR
    Derby
    Sheffield United
    How many fit strikers have they got....  

It's not many. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    To put our 5 defeats in a row in context, watching Quest just now, Millwall now have 4 WINS in a row. In a higher division

Cardiff
    QPR
    Derby
    Sheffield United

It's not many. 
    They won one nil yesterday with a set piece headed goal from a CB.

That's exactly what we should have been doing these last few weeks, keeping it tight and relying on breakaways or set pieces. It's also typical of how Burnley play
  • as it stands (27/2) over the last five games we have the worst record in L1 .. LLLLL .. a false position or a real indicator of how bad we are ? .. and what needs to be done either long or short term
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Cardiff
    QPR
    Derby
    Sheffield United

It's not many. 
    They won one nil yesterday with a set piece headed goal from a CB.

That's exactly what we should have been doing these last few weeks, keeping it tight and relying on breakaways or set pieces. It's also typical of how Burnley play
    Exactly and their only fit striker went off injured in the 1st half. 

Cardiff
    QPR
    Derby
    Sheffield United
    And 8 players out injured apparently.

Cardiff
    QPR
    Derby
    Sheffield United
    And 8 players out injured apparently.
    I'm not sure but did they adapt to their shortages or blindly carry on regardless ?
  • edited February 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    On the coach heading back home. 
    What another shower of shite. 

Forget injuries 
    Forget poor refs 
    Forget bad luck.

These things apply to every team in the league and not just us.

The bottom line is that this group of players are not good enough. 

Where we go from here depends on how deep Sandgaard s  pockets are but one thing is certain without a major overhaul nothing will change. 
    We had a major overhaul last summer and things have got even worse. What makes you think this summer will be any different.

We have around 10 players out of contract or going due to being on loan. Then you have to think about replacing some of the players already under contract that you might not want like Kirk or Gilbey. So you are looking at 12 or so players that you need to recruit. And our recent record of this sort of "churn" has not been good.
    Not really. We signed Stockley early and then there was the long waiting period during which our '1st choice targets' signed for other clubs.

Pretty close to the beginning of the season, we signed MacKeeper, Clare, Dobson plus resigned Matthews and Famewo. Then once the season had already started, the winger from Crewe followed by the deadline day signings of Lee, Leko and Scott Parker's brother-in-law.

Maybe I've forgotten someone but you get my point - it wasn't a major overhaul: we let go/lost players and loans, replacing them with anyone else who still happened to be available at the last minute. They weren't our 1st choices but we were getting desperate and they plugged some holes in the squad.

We really can't afford to muck about like that this coming summer. We need our list of targets now and approaches made as soon as it's ethically possible to do so. We've already started, signing Aneke and Fraser.

And players not just signed for their ability on the ball - we need proper characters who will fit into a team unit that has the will to win.

That's where we need to do our homework.

If you dont think signing 10 players is a major overhaul then I despair. SG is on record saying that he hopes that by signing players on longer contracts (Kirk 5 years & Aneke 3.5) then we wont be needing to do it every summer......but here we are discussing the need to replace half a dozen out of contract players plus filling the 6 spaces left by the loanees. 

Every League One club fills up 5 places in their squad each season with loan players. 
    At the end of the season they return to their parent clubs. That's the way things are in League One.

Do you really think the mighty Charlton Athletic do things differently in League One?
    No, of course not. In fact, of our 5 loan players at the end of last season, we re-signed one back on loan plus another on a permanent contract.
    We also re-signed Matthews on his repeat order 1-year contract. That's 3 of your 10 signings, who had already been part of the previous season's squad.

It could have been 5 of your 10: we were told we had also tried to re-sign Aneke and bring back Millar on a further loan, but both signed permanently elsewhere and subsequently had to be replaced.

Most League One clubs sign players on 1 or 2 year contracts and face the same churn each summer.
    We saw during the Roland years, the effect it has. That's what Gallen has been referring to and how he really wanted that to change.
    And we're already seeing players now signing on longer contracts.

How many other clubs do you know which don't replace a number of out of contract players each summer?

It's the way clubs operate at this level. And that includes Charlton.

• TS has been very quiet this weekend. No tweets as far as I can see. Is Lavelle the only player to have put something on social media. I was concerned about JJs response to if the players have the character for a fight if they get dragged into a relegation battle. He said " we will find out over the next few weeks". Well if he finds out they don't have the desire or will, then it will be rebuilding in League 2. Bleak really and yes quite negative.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    On the coach heading back home. 
    What another shower of shite. 

Forget injuries 
    Forget poor refs 
    Forget bad luck.

These things apply to every team in the league and not just us.

The bottom line is that this group of players are not good enough. 

Where we go from here depends on how deep Sandgaard s  pockets are but one thing is certain without a major overhaul nothing will change. 
    We had a major overhaul last summer and things have got even worse. What makes you think this summer will be any different.

We have around 10 players out of contract or going due to being on loan. Then you have to think about replacing some of the players already under contract that you might not want like Kirk or Gilbey. So you are looking at 12 or so players that you need to recruit. And our recent record of this sort of "churn" has not been good.
    Not really. We signed Stockley early and then there was the long waiting period during which our '1st choice targets' signed for other clubs.

Pretty close to the beginning of the season, we signed MacKeeper, Clare, Dobson plus resigned Matthews and Famewo. Then once the season had already started, the winger from Crewe followed by the deadline day signings of Lee, Leko and Scott Parker's brother-in-law.

Maybe I've forgotten someone but you get my point - it wasn't a major overhaul: we let go/lost players and loans, replacing them with anyone else who still happened to be available at the last minute. They weren't our 1st choices but we were getting desperate and they plugged some holes in the squad.

We really can't afford to muck about like that this coming summer. We need our list of targets now and approaches made as soon as it's ethically possible to do so. We've already started, signing Aneke and Fraser.

And players not just signed for their ability on the ball - we need proper characters who will fit into a team unit that has the will to win.

That's where we need to do our homework.

If you dont think signing 10 players is a major overhaul then I despair. SG is on record saying that he hopes that by signing players on longer contracts (Kirk 5 years & Aneke 3.5) then we wont be needing to do it every summer......but here we are discussing the need to replace half a dozen out of contract players plus filling the 6 spaces left by the loanees. 

Every League One club fills up 5 places in their squad each season with loan players. 
    At the end of the season they return to their parent clubs. That's the way things are in League One.

Do you really think the mighty Charlton Athletic do things differently in League One?
    No, of course not. In fact, of our 5 loan players at the end of last season, we re-signed one back on loan plus another on a permanent contract.
    We also re-signed Matthews on his repeat order 1-year contract. That's 3 of your 10 signings, who had already been part of the previous season's squad.

It could have been 5 of your 10: we were told we had also tried to re-sign Aneke and bring back Millar on a further loan, but both signed permanently elsewhere and subsequently had to be replaced.

Most League One clubs sign players on 1 or 2 year contracts and face the same churn each summer.
    We saw during the Roland years, the effect it has. That's what Gallen has been referring to and how he really wanted that to change.
    And we're already seeing players now signing on longer contracts.

How many other clubs do you know which don't replace a number of out of contract players each summer?

It's the way clubs operate at this level. And that includes Charlton.

How many sign two loanees that can barely get on the bench?