Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Petrol Prices .. February 24/2/2022

Comments

• And Kings, back down towards Bromley, 148-9 yesterday.  Petrol not diesel!!.
  • I'm in Lanzarote and a litre is only a £1. Ridiculous the amount of tax we have on our petrol. Bastards. 
    Yes, Always worth bearing in mind that when fuel goes up 5p a litre - the Gov gets an extra penny in VAT. 
  • Apologies if this has already been posted, but I find this app useful.
    https://app.petrolprices.com/
  • I cant see the point in hunting down the cheapest garage if all you are saving is 2p or 3p per litre. Putting in £30 is about 20 litres, so you are saving 60p maximum. That's the price of a Mars bar, which a lot of people will absent mindly pick up when paying for their fuel. 
  • I fill up at Costco.
    Always 4 or 5p a litre cheaper than anywhere else. ;)

Yeah, but you get seen going into Costco.
  • I cant see the point in hunting down the cheapest garage if all you are saving is 2p or 3p per litre. Putting in £30 is about 20 litres, so you are saving 60p maximum. That's the price of a Mars bar, which a lot of people will absent mindly pick up when paying for their fuel. 
    Depends on the miles you cover. We can save £15 a week just by stopping earlier on our way home.
  • MrWalker said:
    Apologies if this has already been posted, but I find this app useful.
    that's the one I use
  • The Government is doing nicely with the increased VAT on higher energy bills and fuel. The proposed NI increase should be cancelled.
    The overflowing government coffers should mean that we can make short work of the NHS backlog. And the national care system will soon be so good that people will never have to spend their savings on dementia care.
    Don't forget the £200million a week for the NHS  ;)
    This....Drive 10 minutes to get cheap fuel and it costs you more than the 60p you're 'saving;. Penny wise, pound foolish.
  • Sponsored links:

• lonman said:
    I cant see the point in hunting down the cheapest garage if all you are saving is 2p or 3p per litre. Putting in £30 is about 20 litres, so you are saving 60p maximum. That's the price of a Mars bar, which a lot of people will absent mindly pick up when paying for their fuel. 
    This....Drive 10 minutes to get cheap fuel and it costs you more than the 60p you're 'saving;. Penny wise, pound foolish.
    that is why the petrol prices app is so useful
  • I'm in Lanzarote and a litre is only a £1. Ridiculous the amount of tax we have on our petrol. Bastards. 
    The scum who work for the NHS and use this money to maintain their lavish lifestyles should be ashamed of themselves.

And don't get me started on teachers who not only have the pleasure of teaching our children actually expect to get paid for it!

Unbelievable!
  • Couldn’t find any diesel in Truro this morning.
  • Oil doesn’t stay in the ground or fuel in forecourt takes either. 
    It’s a delicate process of shipping and sale. 

My advice is try to use less then “top up, don’t fill up”
    Leave them with it - and watch the price tumble as they have to get rid of it (because they’ve already bought it in advance), and the punters won’t buy it at top price. 
    But surely if you put in 20 litres a fortnight but change it to 10 litres a week you are still using the same amount 
  • I couldn't believe it when I went to get petrol yesterday. Last Wednesday it was around 1€50/55 a litre, now it's 1€77. I reckon it will pass the 2€ a litre mark within a few weeks.
    Then the 'gilets jaunes' will be out but that's for another discussion. 
    Just thought I'd let you know that it's the same here in France.
  • It will probably get worse before it gets better, it will reflect on food prices as well so even if public transport is your thing, you will feel it. Personally I can alter my journeys, go by train to Charlton and suffer like the rest of us, that will put an hour on my day out. I think we should remember how we got in this situation and Putin raising gas prices now seems as no coincidence but also how we have over the last twenty years paid for his war machine and we now need to understand why we are getting hit, better that than suffering like the people of Ukraine.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Oil doesn’t stay in the ground or fuel in forecourt takes either. 

Leave them with it - and watch the price tumble as they have to get rid of it (because they’ve already bought it in advance), and the punters won’t buy it at top price. 
    But surely if you put in 20 litres a fortnight but change it to 10 litres a week you are still using the same amount 
    an eccentric friend of mine always keeps a very low volume of diesel in his car, on the basis that hauling less weight will keep his m p litre/gallon as high as possible. Surprisingly, to my knowledge he's yet to run out of fuel in the middle of a journey
  • MrOneLung said:

an eccentric friend of mine always keeps a very low volume of diesel in his car, on the basis that hauling less weight will keep his m p litre/gallon as high as possible. Surprisingly, to my knowledge he's yet to run out of fuel in the middle of a journey
    I rarely fill up more than half a tank for that reason. Probably only saves me a few pence though.
  • MrOneLung said:

I rarely fill up more than half a tank for that reason. Probably only saves me a few pence though.
    sign on Tesco fuel pumps .. 'every little helps' ..  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Is this really a thing?  I confess that I've never given it much thought.

Petrol has a density of about 0.8 kg/litre, so half a tank (25 litres?) weighs about 20kg.  I've probably got twice that weight in rubbish, old football kit, body parts stashed around my car at any one time.

It's a small child, or a dog.
  • edited February 2022
  • edited February 2022
    Dave Rudd said:
    MrOneLung said:

Petrol has a density of about 0.8 kg/litre, so half a tank (25 litres?) weighs about 20kg.  I've probably got twice that weight in rubbish, old football kit, body parts stashed around my car at any one time.

How dare you challenge my truths with your voodoo 'maths' and 'science'
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I fill up at Costco.
    Always 4 or 5p a litre cheaper than anywhere else. ;)

Yeah, but you get seen going into Costco.
    ???
    I fill up every week, usually need a full tank each time, lets say 40 litres. Petrols actually fairly cheap near me so let's say I only save 2p per time by making sure I go to the cheapest station on my way home, although some places near to my work and gym are 5p or more expensive than where I typically go - that makes it:

40 x 2p = 80p p/w
    52x 80p = £41.60 p/year

And I don't like Mars bars :)

It's not much but i've been doing it for the ten years or I've been driving, so I'd make that roughly a £400 saving. It's not much, but its honest work...
  • Can’t knock owt for nowt
  • Dave Rudd said:
    MrOneLung said:

Wow how badly decomposed are those body parts?
  • MrWalker said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    MrOneLung said:

Wow how badly decomposed are those body parts?

Curse.  What gave it away?

In truth, the football kit is probably worse.
  • MrWalker said:
    Apologies if this has already been posted, but I find this app useful.
    Very helpful. Need an account before getting anywhere. 
  • Any excuse here to put up fuel.....its gone from $1.70 for 98 octane to $2.25......once upon a time fuel here was half the price of the UK. Not so long ago you could buy a litre of 91 octane for 90cents....not anymore.